Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For my Cousin I Weep...

Bradylama

Arcane
My 13 year-old cousin just happened to notice me browsing the Codex and asked me what website I was at.

A:"RPGCodex"

B:"Aw, I hate RPGs."

This causes intrigue.

A:"Why for?"

B:"It's just, you know how you always have to go somewhere? Like you're forced to?"

A:"Clearly you haven't been playing any real RPGs.

B:"I dunno, you know how the world always has an end?"

A:"Yeah..."

B:"Nevermind."

A:"Wait a second, you mean you hate RPGs because the gameworld..."

B:"Isn't big enough."

A:"What?"

B:"I mean, it's not enough like real life, you know?"

A:"So, you don't like RPGs because they aren't enough like real life?"

B:"Yeah, whatever, nevermind."

And now I cry for my cousin. For what the future holds. I will not be around to shape his young mind. So I cry. But cry not for me, dear Codexer, for I am already dead on the inside.

Slith

Scholar
CREATE some giant atomic robots and bend the future to your mighty will! Then, when you are declared God-emperor of humanity, you may demand a game be created to satisfy the lusts of your cousin.

spacemoose

Erudite
gah, what this suggests to me is that the children growing up right now have no imagination. All their lives they have been shown stories in exquisite detail on television with no imagination required to fill in the blanks. That's my theory as to why more and more consumers go for graphics over substance - instead of reading books and letting their mind paint a picture, they've been served up a 'fully cooked' product all their lives and they have no capacity to imagine beyond what they're shown.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Slith said:
CREATE some giant atomic robots and bend the future to your mighty will! Then, when you are declared God-emperor of humanity, you may demand a game be created to satisfy the lusts of your cousin.

You have to be at least level 20 to do that.

Bradylama

Arcane
I wasn't what you'd call a "reader" when I was a kid. Hell, I just started reading Asimov.

Kids are just stupid as Hell, I'd say.

Norfleet

It's a side effect of not being beaten enough. Kids should be beaten often and regularly, or else they turn out to be spoiled little brats like your cousin.

whatusername

Scholar
Nah, they should just be exposed to good games and books at an early age to ensure an intelligent life.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Eh, I went through most of the Codex "approved" titles by 13-14. I didn't have the internet or read any gaming mags, I picked them up mainly because of the box art. If I remember correctly I found out about Planescape through an advertisement in the back of a novelization of Baldur's Gate. I think Mario RPG for the SNES was the first time I came across the 3 letters, but never got spoiled from CRPGs though and still haven't. Just thought they were interesting in a different kind of way.

If it makes you feel any better he probably would have responded the same way no matter what you were doing just to piss you off. He is your cousin after all.

Norfleet

Little bratty 12 year olds are like that, yes. Especially when they weren't beaten enough.

ixg

Erudite
Organize a good ol' fashioned burning at the stake and use this cousin as an example to all other kids his age. Make it very public. That would teach 'em to like the right games...

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
What the fuck is the big deal, not everyone likes RPGs ffs. As for his reasons, he's only 13 You queers. When i was 13 i was playing football and mortal kombat.

Zomg

Arbiter
The Codex rank-and-file has pretty extreme turnover, huh? I guess that's the reason you see so many annoying posts intended to quickly cohere the poster into Codex culture.

See y'all when AoD or NWN2 comes out, whichever comes first.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Spacemoose said:
gah, what this suggests to me is that the children growing up right now have no imagination. All their lives they have been shown stories in exquisite detail on television with no imagination required to fill in the blanks. That's my theory as to why more and more consumers go for graphics over substance - instead of reading books and letting their mind paint a picture, they've been served up a 'fully cooked' product all their lives and they have no capacity to imagine beyond what they're shown.

I dont go in for these books with descriptions of what the characters are thinking. I prefer the more subtle product where you have to use your imagination to ponder what the characters might be thinking. Of course there are real hardcore nuts who read books without text in order to imagine the whole story. But thats just crazy.

I find it very hard to feel better than these people, but when theres so many other people to feel superior to (like the unimaginative youth of today, 13 year old cousins, Console owners, people who dont play RPGs, people who do play RPG's but play them in the wrong way, people who play the wrong RPGS, anyone looking for help or anyone showing enthusiasm) it just isnt a problem.

St. Toxic

Arcane
He'll likely grow into it eventually. On how many weekly occations does he consume alcoholic bevarages and nicotine based sub-products?

whatusername

Scholar
If he still doesn't like good games if you make him do all the above, try castrating him.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I say read our kids more Mothergoose, more Brothers Grimm, more fables, more fairy tales, more sci-fi. Fill their heads with images of worlds with limitless boundaries, of fantastical creatures and events, of a way to see the world as it could be and not as it is.

Corny idea? Maybe, but I hate to think of that horrible title they are giving our and the next generation...the Echo Generation. I don't want to repeat back everything I'm told, or lose the ability to think creatively and critically.

You don't have to be a nerd or geek to love the idea of man wielding great forces at his fingertips, of traveling into a sea of stars, of a peaceful society, of great mythical monsters which give us insight into the mind of man (Joseph Campbell has that idea right on the mark).

I don't know about anyone else, but I play games to escape reality, not get closer to it. In real life I'm no warrior or wizard, no space pilot or navy man, no football player or race car driver, and so on.

tarkin said:
What the fuck is the big deal, not everyone likes RPGs ffs. As for his reasons, he's only 13 You queers. When i was 13 i was playing football and mortal kombat.

When I was thirteen - two years ago - I was playing Daggerfall and Fallout. Fuck off.

I have a nagging suspicion the poor guy's been playing Japanese RPGs - Final Fantasy etc. That's what the "forced to do stuff" bit suggests, anyway... Give him Fallout. Or a big black man. Or both.

Sylvanus - quite agreed. I've been reading mostly fantasy and science fiction since I was ten, and it's certainly done me no harm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom