Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Molyneux Fable 2 hype hits the 'net

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Is Fable worth playing? I played up to the part where I went to some academy, early in the game. I just didn't feel any urge to continue - does it get any better? The voice acting was pretty good but the game didn't particularly interest me. But if Molyneux is calling it his best game... maybe I'm missing something?

suibhne

Erudite
Mr. Teatime said:
Is Fable worth playing? ...the game didn't particularly interest me. But if Molyneux is calling it his best game... maybe I'm missing something?

What you're missing has more to do with Molyneux's current psychological state than with Fable.

Data4

Arcane
Mr. Teatime said:
Is Fable worth playing? I played up to the part where I went to some academy, early in the game. I just didn't feel any urge to continue - does it get any better? The voice acting was pretty good but the game didn't particularly interest me. But if Molyneux is calling it his best game... maybe I'm missing something?

No, not really. Fable is just a corridor shooter that pretends to be a RPG. I mean, even Oblivion will let you stray from the path. Fable boxes you in, funnelling you where it wants you to go, while making the pretense of being some open world. The only thing I actually thought was good was some of the voice acting. There's one guy talking about some magic mushrooms who sounds like a stoned Michael Caine that I thought was amusing.

ad hominem said:
The reason [music's] in such a funk right now is because the flavor of the month is rap/hip-hop...which isn't music. It's a flaming ball of suck.

Agreed... to the power of eleventeen. ;)

-D4

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Mr. Teatime said:

To me, it was like a Zeldo clone where you coudl create a custom character. No, I don't think its worth it. Story is highly cliched, the gameworld is tiny, and the core gameplay is very linear with very little in the way of choice or consequence. OK, so if you kill civilians you grow horns, but if you help save people attacked by bandits you get a halo. For every choice a consequence... purely cosmetic consequence, that is. The only thing the game did right was make everything somebody's property that you'd get into trouble for taking or breaking. Still not worth it.

ad hominem

Scholar
Greatatlantic said:
The only thing the game did right was make everything somebody's property that you'd get into trouble for taking or breaking. Still not worth it.
Was it Oblivion-style, where people across the globe knew instantly if you committed such an act, even if there were no witnesses? Or did someone actually have to see you, and they spread the news in a more reasonable fasion? I never played it.

psycojester

Arbiter
If your caught in the act then the civillians activate their town-wide alert system. Crimes don't travel between towns and all in all the guards have fairly short memories.

Direwolf

Arcane
Mr. Teatime said:
Is Fable worth playing?

Not really. The game is so freaking short and linear that I personally uninstalled it after playing for about 2 hours. My friend informed me that I was about 50% through the game at that stage. I don't mind short games, but short RPG is a joke.

Voss

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
To me, it was like a Zeldo clone where you coudl create a custom character.

Except without the custom character. Unless you make an effort you end up a good (cause you get good points when you kill things, and you have to go out of your way to do evil things). fighter/archer/mage (cause you get points when you use skills, and those are well, it.) You can skip the archer bit. Magic's just, well, better.

Its moderately amusing as a plow through monsters things. With a couple aggravating and purely stupid things. Like the main quest and aging every time you level. (Though that isn't noticeable if you wear a helm, and has no effect on gameplay anyway).

But you can gather a bisexual harem into perfectly legal polygamous marriages, and who doesn't want that?

Pegultagol

Erudite
Data4 said:
Mr. Teatime said:

No, not really. Fable is just a corridor shooter that pretends to be a RPG. I mean, even Oblivion will let you stray from the path. Fable boxes you in, funnelling you where it wants you to go, while making the pretense of being some open world. The only thing I actually thought was good was some of the voice acting. There's one guy talking about some magic mushrooms who sounds like a stoned Michael Caine that I thought was amusing.

ad hominem said:
The reason [music's] in such a funk right now is because the flavor of the month is rap/hip-hop...which isn't music. It's a flaming ball of suck.

Agreed... to the power of eleventeen. ;)

-D4

Hmm... am I the only one here who enjoys at least some rap music? Not like the well known, ubiquitous personalities staple of mainstream media like MTV, but Madvillain, Nas, Tribe Called Quest...If it is the case...I'm sorry that I asked.

Yeah, about Peter Molyneux...he's developed the aforementioned game that I only read about in magazines when all I had was an Amiga emulator of some sorts and a Windows 3.0 286. It is always good to have a dream, however far fetched. The problem seems to stem from that he wants to achieve so much on the graphical front and it devolves into a situation where you want to catch foxes running in all directions and winding up with none. RPGs provide that kind of pitfalls where compromise is not made, but rather forced in the end, artificially severed from normal course of development cycle, it seems.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Pegultagol said:
Hmm... am I the only one here who enjoys at least some rap music? Not like the well known, ubiquitous personalities staple of mainstream media like MTV, but Madvillain, Nas, Tribe Called Quest...If it is the case...I'm sorry that I asked.
Sounds like you're talking about the "Five Percent Nation". All rap sucks, but the members of that are nutbags to boot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom