Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Could be the other way around and only 5 seconds have passed since you got put into sleep, which means you have plenty of time to wait around.

His requirements are stated pretty clearly: for you to understand and accept him. Killing the NPC might be a step towards facilitating that but it is just one step. You won't gain full understanding without the loredump.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He is the only one who sees the hidden words between the lines, written in that unspeakable language. I fear it may have driven him mad.

:troll:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

LeAsT hE'S NOt WriTing N pure MALK, yet. ThAT'D be aNNoYING to havE to ReAd....

Bloodshifter

Educated
I blame all the drugs I am on. Can't feel a thing for 6 hours a day. Mind numbing pain for 4. In lala land for 12. Somewhere in between for 2.

My posts will change depending on how deep in sedatives / painkillers I am in...

Saying that my last post IS creepy... but slightly true.

ScubaV

Prophet
So your guys' grand plan is to sit on our hands and do nothing? Storyfag doesn't even want the loredump? All along we've been playing Senya like Batman: meticulously gather information and then strike surgically. Let's gather some goddamn information. B is being the damsel in distress. Shulgi isn't going to save us. He's an old immortal geezer, not a computer whiz and Anna was already handled by Mini-me. We're either getting out by our own devices or because Mini-me decides to let us go. I don't think we want to meet whatever conditions would allow for that.

Jester

Arbiter
Teehee I'm so giddy.

We are rewriting our own Personality! Oh jeebuz Shulgi is GOOD. Ahh err hmm... trapped in a world where we are constantly being rewrittened by the choices we make NO wonder its the Path We Remember. Let's see we lost out on being Driven to Excel(War Path), Freelancer(Do what we want Path), and Disillusionment(3-rd Party Interrupt Path), Protection of Loved Ones (Help Princess Path), and Fuck everything its not needed on my Quest(Leave it behind Path). While we Picked Peace for Everyone(Peaceful Path) AND Heroic Ean(Stop the Drop Path).

Ora Ora... You guys are turning the Sweet young man into quite the Faker aren't you?
Pragmatic
Peace Seeking!
Save 10 for 1 No Matter WHO It is!
My My who Invited the White Haired Counter Guardian?

...this is still the Path We Remember Try not to overthink it Dearies!
:rpgcodex:
I was steering him to those path so don't include me here.

Zwist

Learned
As Ean we refused to kill something that resembled persons from our past.
What makes this situation different? That young Senya is noot toying with us for his own amusement.
Killing the image is adhering to young Senyas logic.
It is not real, hence killing it does not matter. If we think that way, we accept the reasoning presented to us, and hence sync up more with our younger self.
That door not opening again, now that mini-Me is in control, means imprisonment. Going through it means accepting that he is in control.

B. A thousand year wait incoming. At least it will feel that way. But maybe it will help us master our mind again, after all we are sitting in our own head.
And I really don't like the wording. We should not expect help. None will come. If Baby boy is put down by Shulgi, he is going to kill us too. Risk management.

So your guys' grand plan is to sit on our hands and do nothing? Storyfag doesn't even want the loredump? All along we've been playing Senya like Batman: meticulously gather information and then strike surgically. Let's gather some goddamn information. B is being the damsel in distress. Shulgi isn't going to save us. He's an old immortal geezer, not a computer whiz and Anna was already handled by Mini-me. We're either getting out by our own devices or because Mini-me decides to let us go. I don't think we want to meet whatever conditions would allow for that.
Sorry, but why believe him? How do we even know he actually got to Anna? This could all be staged. He just openly told us he would have had zero problem manipulating us had that been necessary. Who's to say he's not doing it now?

Bloodshifter

Educated
Trolol...

Does anyone remember where in Ean's life he had a similar choice? Freedom in exchange for killing a copy?

I'll give you a hint "ballz"

Mou~ Jester why you be wanting to turn Senya into EMIYA-san?

Tally *tired so I'll just count*
A-6
B-10

Trolol...
Does anyone remember where in Ean's life he had a similar choice? Freedom in exchange for killing a copy?
Yes, it feels very much like that choice. It's a good thing we didn't choose killing then too because if we had, Ean would have been in a bloodthirsty murder/devour rampage for 3000 years instead. May have affected his character a bit...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Since I doubt the situation is going to change soon, let's close the votes.

Hm, some thoughts...

I did say that killing the NPC would only have been one step towards accepting Mini-Me's point of view, which is a massive hint that going A wasn't instant LOL YOU BECOME EVUL. After the loredump and finding out what he knows you guys would have had a choice whether to agree with him or not. Who knows... he might actually be right?

Well, getting killed by Shulgi only provokes a reset, and Mini-Me knows how to exploit that...

I don't agree that this parallels the situation in the sphere. There you have no way of escaping, being totally under the thumb of something you do not understand. The mechanisms are unknown in the void. You don't know how the sphere draws from your memories and you don't know how to break free. You are physically trapped.

Here, you know you are trapped in a virtual construct by a fragment of your personality come to life - you know that you need to find a way to break the illusion to awaken. By gaining information and knowing more you would have a greater chance of regaining control, regardless of whatever your younger self says. He can hijack the program, sure, but remember, at its core this was still a program designed to provide information, and the information can never be a total lie. Whether Mini-Me's philosophy of a false reality is true or not, the fact remains that you are in a false, digital reality, and it is very impractical to ignore that... isn't it true that being able to comprehend the falseness of the world and distorting it is the first step to breaking free? To that end you would have to do something you would never ever do - kill Kyrie.

Then let's not forget that Mini-Me is already in control of your body while you wait, while in the void doing nothing was an acceptable option if you want to keep other people safe...

Nevertheless, B wins.

Shulgi has failed, completely and utterly. His plan has backfired in a way that he has not accounted for.

:lol:

Bloodshifter

Educated
Whelp I would say *Snarky Line Here*

But Treave Mega Trolled you guys...

So yea I'm pissed but meh its the path I chose by not saying anything too damning like with the Spheres.

Codex I hope your prepared to watch the world burn in a unholy conflageration of Sphere-ness and Watcher Power Wars. With the random Human Lolz of Shulgi Plot thrown in!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
END

The NPC does not talk to me. Her lips are tightly shut as she gazes at me blankly.

The door does not open. Try as I might, it will not budge.

Even so, I cannot bring myself to do it. I resign myself to sitting in the dark.

A year passes and the door vanishes, leaving only the NPC and me. Still she does not speak.

Ten years later, even the NPC disappears, fading away. Right before she vanishes for good I see a glimpse of emotion in her eyes.

Now there is just me and total nothingness.

After that, I lose count of the time.

My mind begins to slow down, in a subconscious effort to make the cold emptiness more tolerable.

I go into a long, interminable stupor. Every once in a long while I stir to life, my joints creaking as I do so, only to find there is no change. No escape. Just hopelessness.

There is something different.

For the first time in… years? Decades? Centuries? I do not remember, but something new has come into this dark, empty world I am left in.

I feel the cold on my skin.

I hear the rhythm of my breathing.

I open my eyes.

“Recalibration complete. Status check.”

I hear a robotic voice check off a list of physiological functions. I seem to be lying on a hard, cold bed. My vision is fuzzy. There appears to be light, but I cannot tell where I am. It takes me a while for my eyes to focus, and when it does so I finally see my current location. Unsurprisingly, I appear to be in a capsule. There is a small porthole in front of my face, allowing me to see the dim, flickering lights set into the ceiling.

“Beginning preliminary rehabilitation.” I yelp in pain.

Raising my head with some difficulty, I look down at my arms, where I had felt a sudden sting. A thick tube extends into each arm, where a strange orange liquid is being pumped into my body. My arms look much scrawnier than I had remembered. How long had I been asleep?

“You are awake, are you not?”

I hear Shulgi’s voice inside the capsule. I try to respond, but all that comes out of my mouth is a harsh croak. My throat is aching and dry; I suppose I won’t be regaining my verbal functions any time soon.

“I promised you that I would tell you what you should know when you woke up. I will hold to that promise. I also promised you several other… matters. I am sorry to say that I have not managed to fulfill all of them.” He sounds tired, weary and altogether unlike any of his personas that I have encountered. Meanwhile, the voice continues stating the actions it is taking. The capsule seems to know what it is doing; I can gradually feel some meager strength returning.

“Let us start with the reason why I have done what I did. You probably understand by now that it is to make humanity stronger, but why do we need to gain strength? The answer is simple. Aliens. In a matter of years – no, we might already be within their overlapping territory. This is the information that has been given to me: we are in the path of at least two different interstellar alien empires. This is the shortest route to the galactic core, and we are in their way. They will bring conflict to us whether we desire it or not. Now, when I say aliens, I do not mean that they have three eyes or gray skin. They are of human stock, like you and I, except that they hail from different planets. The major difference is that they are openly governed by immortals. You know that I am one.”

I see. So that is why… well, it is a pretty simple reason. I had expected something deeper.

“I could have revealed myself. I could have ruled the world and forced progress by myself, once I knew they were coming. I did not, because I am only one immortal and they are many. If I take power openly they would have invaded instantly. No matter how much progress I create with my own hands, there is no other path but for me to be overwhelmed. No, Earth must grow into its own. I can only guide from the shadows, hoping that humanity itself will find their will to drive forward and become capable of rivaling their brethren from the stars. The legacy he left behind in the Inanna flowers is more than capable of aiding them to do so. ”

Shulgi pauses for a while.

“Ha, I am becoming a sentimental old wolf. Well, no matter. The plans have changed. Your other… personality… is devious, cruel, and utterly insane. You are not an immortal like I am, but you appear to be unkillable, for some reason. Fate seems to favour you in the strangest of ways when it comes to your survival, and though I do not know what the cause is, I know that you cannot die. Neither can he – so this is the only thing I can do to defeat him. We cannot afford to kill your mind again; there is no telling how long it will take for you to recover this time, and the previous attempt has only made that particular aspect of you even worse. What I can do is seal him away. The lock is within your mind, and I will pass the key to Erika. It is up to you what you choose to do.”

I instinctively feel the cage that has been set up. Should I delve into my own mind again, I will probably encounter it.

“Even I do not know what will happen from here on out,” sighs Shulgi. “I have one last card left to play, but as it is your untimely intervention has laid waste to all of the plans I have carefully arrayed over the past five hundred years. I have arranged for an automatic recording of all the significant events that have occurred since you began your sleep – it will continue recording even after I am gone. I have also left you a cache of information and contacts that might be useful. There is no one else that can make use of this. Do with it as you see fit. You may even burn it all and live out your days in peace; I will not ask anything of you.”

The phrases he uses… I suddenly realize that this is a recording that Shulgi left behind, and not the man himself. There is a blast of static as the robotic voice tells me that the process is complete and that I may exit the capsule. The hatch of the capsule opens up slowly, creaking as it does so.

I raise myself up on my elbows, wincing at the pain and effort it takes me. Hearing a tiny voice by my side, I realize that the recording is still running. “… the failure is mine.” His voice is suddenly soft, and for the first time, I hear genuine regret. “You will recall some memories very soon. I hope her fate is not amongst them.”

Before the recording cuts out, I hear his last words. “I am sorry about Kyrie.”

Kyrie? What happened to her? As if on cue, a flood of memories assail my mind. Memories of what I… he did, while I was waiting in the dark. They are fragmented but incomplete, flashes of events that I can barely grasp. I clutch futilely at the sides of the capsule as the shock of the memories causes me to fall off the capsule. I hit the cold, metal floor with a dull thud.

What… the fuck did I do?

I… him… I somehow managed to access the nanite research facilities and reprogrammed the nanomachines.

I recall Erika and Erec attempting to stop me. They failed.

The nanomachines were released, a plague of assemblers run amok.

Then.

Kyrie was there too.

She melted.

Of all the fragments I remember why is this the only thing I cannot forget?

She melted.

Her hair fell away. Her eyes turned into gray jelly. Her cheeks began running down her face. Then, the nanomachines really began getting to work. Her eyes returned. All over her. Two. Five. Sixteen eyes. All the same brilliant shade of green, opening and closing in mindless terror. Noses. Lips. Teeth. Even as she dissolved into a puddle of goo the nanomachines continued trying to repair and rebuild her in horrible ways. Those arms. Those legs. Dissolving and reforming. Reforming and dissolving. Her face… her faces… so many of them floating atop the trembling pool that was all that was left of her.

I throw up, trembling on all fours. The fluid that drips from my mouth is as orange as the compound that had been pumped into my veins.

This can’t be true.

I get to my feet, and I run. I run out of the room and up the stairs. This is not possible. I recognize the grounds. I recognize the buildings. This is the Academy. It appears to be in ruins. There is not a single stalk of grass anywhere on the surface, and the sky is a dirty, muddy green. Up in the sky, I see two pale circles. Two moons?

Yes, this is not real. That proves it. I must still be in the program. This is another trick, isn’t it?

It’s a trick. It’s a trick. It’s a trick. It’s a trick. It’s a trick. It’s a trick. It’s a trick. It’s a trick it’s a trick it’s a trick a trick a trick a trick a trick a trick a trick a trick trick trick tricktricktricktricktricktrick-

I let out a hoarse, inhuman cry as merciful darkness claims me.

When I awaken, I am still alone, naked and shivering in the ruins of the Academy. There is no one around, and the air is stale. With great effort, I manage somehow to make my way back into the relative warmth of the room I had been hibernating in. There are some supplies there, presumably left for my use. The room doesn’t seem to have been disturbed for a few years. There doesn’t seem to be any signs of life in the vicinity, not even insects or rodents.

I put everything out of my mind. My memories. What I… he did. I try to busy myself poring through the information that Shulgi has left behind. Of those, the automatic event recording proves to be the most useful.

I read. If I do not I will go insane. I think to the future. I think about what I will do. What I should do. And sometimes, I still think about whether this world is a false reality… whether I am not trapped in a nightmare from which I cannot awaken after all.

-CHAPTER END-

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Interlude: All That Has Passed

The Gray Death Incident served as a post-script to the victorious war with the Indus, but it was a post-script that horribly overshadowed all of the suffering that preceded it. With the final surrender of the Apostles of Hiranyagarbha after the death of their leader, the Great Mother Saeko Wakayama, Earth was finally at peace again under the leadership of the United Federation of Nations. That peace lasted all of a week.

No one is certain what exactly transpired that fateful day, but what is certain is the culprit and his motive behind unleashing a terrible incident that still stands as the most devastating disaster in Earth's history.

1.5 billion people died, dissembled by the nanomachines.

4 billion people were turned to ashes when the rest of the planet was razed by the bombardment of the Star League, who had deemed the Gray Death a threat even to their advanced technology.

Seeking a way to survive, the Federation joined the Star League, meaning that the Earth would finally take the League's side in the war against the Mushuszu Empire. Without a planet, the UFN needed their resources to continue sustaining the 4 billion-strong population still spread out through space.

Before all of this could happen, however, the Star League demanded that the Federation hand over the perpetrator of the Gray Death Incident, claiming that their own kin had perished when it happened.

The man who caused this disaster was known only as Shulgi.

He had revealed himself soon after the Gray Death had spread, managing to hijack every single broadcast on Earth. Appearing in the visage of the boy named Hoshikawa, the disguise he had used to assassinate the princess Kyrie, he had claimed responsibility for the Gray Death, the Lothal drop, and the attempted coup d'etat of the former Shinar Empire. All of this, he claimed he did because humanity was sheep and had been complacent for far too long.

The Federation wasted no time in making him the primary enemy of humanity.

And then, finally, in a chase that lasted more than a year, Shulgi was finally cornered by the Star League spec-ops and the bulk of the surviving Federation military. He was captured and executed by being sent into the sun, sealing the deal between the Federation and the Star League...

Nowadays, mankind has a minor seat on the League's council, with Federation President Julia Canaria as Earth's representative. The majority of the surviving population are space-faring, serving as workers and soldiers for the Star League's military in their eternal war with the Mushuszu Empire.

Earth is mostly abandoned, with only small enclaves of humanity eking out their survival in a few surviving cities. Though it is nominally under Federation rule, most of the cities that remain are fairly autonomous.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I wonder if Senya could've stopped his mini-me by dismembering the Kyrie NPC? :M

Eventually, yes. You'd regain control right before you kill the Great Mother. You'd have gotten an upgrade to your powers depending on how you took back control.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Shulgi managed to kill Senya a few times during his rampage, causing reloads that eventually threw his own plans haywire. He suspected something, which is why he made mention of that unkillable part, but I think it's pretty clear he didn't know what it was about. You'll find out the effects of those resets soon.

Anyway, on the bright side there is really nowhere to go from here but up. I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom