Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview An Authentic Account of an Embassy from the RPG Codex to Larian Studios

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how butthurt watch didn't even link to what is definitely the best preview of OS and DC. Instead Myrthos added a desperate banner pleading for more subscriptions and donations, because RPG WATCH COMMANDER MYRTHOS NEEDS U !! :lol:

Also other important cRPG news of today include a couple of pathetic jrpg clones and HoMM 6.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's funny how butthurt watch didn't even link to what is definitely the best preview of OS and DC. Instead Myrthos added a desperate banner pleading for more subscriptions and donations, because RPG WATCH COMMANDER MYRTHOS NEEDS U !! :lol:

Also other important cRPG news of today include a couple of pathetic jrpg clones and HoMM 6.
To be fair their D:OS campaign includes a link to ours.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
To be fair their D:OS campaign includes a link to ours.

Yeah, but this article here is a great piece of incline, and probably the best way to persuade a crpg gamer to support D:OS, it should be spread around.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
gragt.JPG
cousin.JPG

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Why didn't I bother to read about this game earlier? Sounds awesome. And :bro: to Gragt.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
"Home at last! Let's check the Codex and see what's new! Maybe a person or two commented on my article. That'd be cool!"

kodexkounter.png

:what:

Gragt's article said:
This is actually the game's crafting system, which I was told will be very extensive. There's no menu or special screen involved - just go to your inventory and combine items together. This might sound simplistic but I also find merit in that approach. After all using the inventory to manipulate items sounds very intuitive. There is no need to find a special workbench and go through a long list of possible actions - I remember times when I opened a crafting menu only to feel thoroughly confused as to how I was supposed to use it, such as in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Or Fallout 3, which managed to go full schizophrenic and required a working bench to craft but let repair items anywhere. Not to mention the repair system is fucked and it's very easy to repair a generic rifle with your unique one one by mistake (thus losing it).

edit:

Gragt's article again said:
Since we might as well begin with a controversial example, the first choice was whether or not we should allow gay marriage throughout our empire. Listening to the councilors' take on the matter wasn't entirely unlike listening to the news, except more entertaining. The undead councilor was, of course, repulsed by the very notion of gay marriage, the elven one strongly approved of it, the dwarf didn't like it but didn't seem to mind it much, the lizard thought it was a basic right to be able to decide who you should marry, and the imp councilor not only approved of it but was glad that it would make parties more interesting. I decided to allow it, changing my standing with the various races accordingly. Interestingly, your choices may lead to having to make follow-up decisions later, so that, for example, if you allow same-sex marriages you will later have to decide whether they are allowed to take place in public or whether gay people should be permitted to serve in the army. This is a nice way of showing your influence on the social and political development of your empire instead of having a big list of disjointed issues.

Iintredasting. Everyone would be tempted to approve it at first because only the undead guy is really bothered by it, but later on you'd have to either stop making concessions to please him a little (but annoying the other races with your half-hearted approval), or keep making concessions and piss him off completely (and have to bend over backwards if you ever need undead support for something)

Also, I found something.

Turning into a dragon won't make the game easier as it means that you won't be able to manage your units as before and some units are specifically geared to fight dragons. If your dragon is killed, it can be be resurrected by sacrificing a part of your population, and the penalty decreases over time.

Gragt

Shouldn't that be "increases over time"? You'd think that dying repeatedly is discouraged, by making you sacrifice more and more people so you won't use the dragon as a kamikaze plane.

norolim

Arcane
Finally managed to find a day to read the preview. Well done Gragt. I'm predicting, you'll soon be (p)reviewing games as your full-time job, surrounded by doritos and mountain dew, of course.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Great article. I pity you for the length of time it must have taken. That said, I'm jelly of your writing ability.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Turning into a dragon won't make the game easier as it means that you won't be able to manage your units as before and some units are specifically geared to fight dragons. If your dragon is killed, it can be be resurrected by sacrificing a part of your population, and the penalty decreases over time.

Gragt

Shouldn't that be "increases over time"? You'd think that dying repeatedly is discouraged, by making you sacrifice more and more people so you won't use the dragon as a kamikaze plane.

I guess it's a bit ambiguous. What I mean is that once you died, the longer you wait, the less recruits you'll have to pay to come back in dragon form. Say you got killed, then you can instantly come back but pay like 10.000 recruits which will seriously injure your unit building but may be worth if you think it is, or you wait like one minute and pay only 5.000 recruits. During that time you can of course manage your units.

Oh, ok. I thought that you had to sacrifice a fixed amount of population, say 1000 people the first time you die, then 2000, 3000, 4000...until it becomes impractical to directly interfere as a dragon in battles because you messed up too many times.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I forgot to mention that this preview not only gave me tremendous amount of optimism in both of the projects. it also made me do this:

9teiyd.jpg

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hadn't bothered to keep Dragon Commander on my radar because I have basically no interest in RTS games, resulting in a big enough backlog of the few I do have. Now I'm prodding my friends about this game and telling them to watch out for it too.

Thanks, Gragt. I don't really have the money to consider this on my horizon too!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom