Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really doubt that kickstarter itself will want to get involved in that, much better to stay hands-off and leave it up to the backers to sue the creators directly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, info is a bit too sparse on this whole angle of "innovative" game they are making. All they talk about is the 2 characters and the setting (which I think is really cool). And I think they are asking for way too much. Still following until they share more solid info.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

They worked on The Thing - insert fuse box counter joke here - but seriously the pitch video looks terrible - they couldn't even be bothered to show that game footage, they just directed the camera on a computer screen.
Though I don't have anything against point and clicks - the more, the better.
Yeah and their presentation was too focused on what they've done on other games. They only showed art. I love art but this is an interactive media and "point and click adventure" is just too vague. Is it item-find based, dialogue based, puzzle based or whatever. They name-dropped Monkey Island but that game was at least 50% about jokes and silly stuff and I don't see any of that in this game (on the other hand, Broken Age has failed to deliver on humor as well).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/295102457/rpgs-are-evil-dark-dungeons-the-movie

The famous 1984 anti-Dungeons and Dragons comic, Dark Dungeons, is now coming to video! We'll show just how evil RPG's can be!

I won the lottery. Not the jackpot, "just" a thousand bucks, and being a typical middle-class middle-manager a thousand dollars is nice, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't going to change my life. So I decided to do something special with the money. I decided I wanted to spend it to bring something that would last; I would spend it to try and bring Jack Chick's epic 1984 graphic novel / tract to film.​

I wrote Chick Publications explaining this to them and I'm super-excited to announce that I have obtained the video rights to make a movie based on Dark Dungeons.​

Dark Dungeons: The Movie​
If you're not familiar with Dark Dungeons you can read it in its entirety here;​

But all you really need to know is that it sets out to show what Jack Chick knows to be the truth behind role-playing. It shows that;​

*Playing RPGs can make you gain real life magic abilities​

*If you gain a high enough level you will be invited to join a secret cult​

* Gamers whose characters die are in danger of committing suicide.​

* That DM's are vile temptresses that are out to corrupt their players to the forces of evil.​

:lol: Only asking for $12,500. Already at $8000. $15 for the Digital Copy of the Film. $20 for the DVD (no special Features).

Edit: I saw the pitch video :lol: This is so fucking amusing will be backing it (at $15).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Read the comment section. :lol: :lol: The Codex is ashamed. This is EPIC.

Having worked on VERY low budget Movies before (of which this is) this is awesome. <3

Grimlorn

Arcane
Kickstarter is such a joke. Now anyone can use pictures of kids and tell a sad story to scam money from people.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Guardian gonna Guardian.

I hadn't heard of that KS, though.

I only had heard of it because one of my coworkers wouldn't back D:OS on the final day because he wanted to back the movie because "the pitch was funny"

:x

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Should he also give the movie away for free after it's made? After all he's a multi-millionaire right? He doesn't need the money. If he thinks his movie is really good he should give it away so the most people possible can see it.
Not the same, is it? Mind you, I'm not even bitching about it (yet), but it certainly seems like there is a tendency to keep your own money safe and rely on the public to sponsor your projects. Like Fargo saying that he'll use KS from now on. I mean, if his games are successful, he should be swimming in money, no?

Anyone has any thoughts on that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should he also give the movie away for free after it's made? After all he's a multi-millionaire right? He doesn't need the money. If he thinks his movie is really good he should give it away so the most people possible can see it.
Not the same, is it? Mind you, I'm not even bitching about it (yet), but it certainly seems like there is a tendency to keep your own money safe and rely on the public to sponsor your projects. Like Fargo saying that he'll use KS from now on. I mean, if his games are successful, he should be swimming in money, no?

In the case of games, you're going to pay that money eventually when you buy the game, so I don't see why I shouldn't Kickstart and have a say in some of the game's design decisions.

People might have a preconceived notion of how a game is "supposed to be" developed which they deem as "good", but Kickstarting isn't actually hurting anybody's interests. Everybody benefits, as long as the games are good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
A) What design decisions have you influenced so far?
B) Why should such an influence be limited only to the backers? I mean, shouldn't all well thought through opinions count?

It's true, of course, that for many people KSing something is equal to pre-ordering at a cheaper price, but it's not what people who launch KS are concerned about, is it? So, the philosophical question is - should people and companies who can afford to pay for development still ask the public to pitch in?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've participated in polls and had many discussions with game designers. As a backer of their Kickstarters, my word has more weight than if I was just some random dude on the Internet. They owe me something.

It may not be a lot of influence, but it's more than I had before. It's an improvement.

B) Why should such an influence be limited only to the backers? I mean, shouldn't all well thought through opinions count?

Perhaps it should, but I never claimed that the system was perfect. In today's market, either the backers can have influence (on Kickstarter), or nobody can have influence (publishers).

Besides, you're the last person who should complain about the wisdom of appealing to a niche.

So, the philosophical question is - should people and companies who can afford to pay for development still ask the public to pitch in?

I'm not really interested in philosophy. The system doesn't harm my interests. It doesn't harm the company's interest. It looks like a win-win to me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I was responding to the article, you just posted it so I quoted you.

Wasteland 2 backers nixed the social aspect, made sure the backer only special skill was not game balance affecting, had direct input on toaster repair, and let InXile know to focus on a "deeper" game instead of adding voice acting or better graphics (of course once the graphics came out many people threw a fit because they don't actually know what they want, but that's another story).

That's a false dilemma. You can have 2 or more well thought out opinions and the people paying should get to decide which one they want. Giving backers a voice doesn't mean other voices are not listened to. All it means is that backers are guaranteed a voice.

It's true, of course, that for many people KSing something is equal to pre-ordering at a cheaper price, but it's not what people who launch KS are concerned about, is it? So, the philosophical question is - should people and companies who can afford to pay for development still ask the public to pitch in?
For the sake of argument lets say that the answer to this question is "no, if you can afford to pay for it, you shouldn't use crowd funding". What about what Larian did? They could have completed a game and sold it. Was it wrong of them to fund adding more stuff to their game? If no, where is the line?

Anyways my answer is "I don't care what they can afford"*. The business perspective seems to be that the creators are shifting the risk to the consumers, and the consumers are idiots for accepting the risk. However, it's different kinds of risk that can't be compared like that. The risk to the creator is that no one will be interested in their project and when it's finished they'll be out a huge amount of money. The risk to a backer is that they'll be disappointed in the final result and be out 1/10th of a paycheck (on average the percentage I've contributed to a kickstarter). If someone has an idea and plan for creating something worth having, what do I care if that person is already rich?

*with the exception that having their own money/revenue streams increases the chance that the project will be finished and feature complete.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epiclevel/the-worlds-worst-dungeon-crawl

You’ve played the best, now conquer the WORST! Enter the Flaming Deathpits of the Minotaur Mage! An official DUNGEON BASTARD adventure!

:lol:

Also:

28ca9ce4a8fd335e2ddea613bbc4c94c_large.jpg

Colin McComb SMACKDOWN. haha

"I have every confidence that this will be absolutely the most terrible, awful dungeon crawl, ever." ~Monte Cook

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hahaha. :lol: That "off the walls self-deprecating absurdist" approach seems to work well on Kickstarter. Barkley 2 used it also.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom