Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

deuxhero

Arcane
Sony is just gonna stuck being Sony. Expensive ultra AAA movie-games, mostly shit IPs (I mean Killzone c'mon?), and probably yet again selling at a loss (weak Yen, GDDR5 RAM which means zero price flexibility).

MS wins in terms of strategy, software/OS features and marketing.

Here's the thing: Sony showed games. Crappy games, but games.
Why are you so butthurt about this? Most devs will develop for both systems. Plus EA seems to want to get in bed with Microsoft.

I have a GCN, PS2, PS3, Wii and gaming PC plus GBA+DS+3DS and PSP, plus some older systems. I have NEVER seen a compelling reason to get either Xbox, even at dirt cheep (like I got... pretty much everything but the game PC, GBA and DS for. Yay for waiting till the end of generation and clever sale use). Hell, even if the Xbox One is cracked as badly the PSP, I don't even see any multiplats worth pirating, let alone exclusives.

I'm willing to follow the PS4 for a bit to see if that developer list (easily one of the best things you can do with a system reveal. It's short, it's cheep, it avoids promising yet but people love it) they showed yields any fruit, but the Xbox One fails to give me any reason to be interested beyond laughing at MS's stupidity.

If you can't convince someone who spends as much as I do on the hobby to even CONSIDER buying your product: You screwed up badly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, I was generally pretty nice to people as a kid. Only people I ever beat up were ones who I found seriously annoying, which means I gave a fuck, even if it was a negative one. Child Lund was a great kid, the ruthless disregard for other people in pursuit of profit came much later.

That's nice. I think I would have been an asshole as a kid, but unfortunately I was too busy being a dork who gets beaten up by jocks. :smug:

Look, this is a forum where people shit on things. If this thread is still as active next week as it is today, I'll concede that maybe you have a point.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Sony is just gonna stuck being Sony. Expensive ultra AAA movie-games, mostly shit IPs (I mean Killzone c'mon?), and probably yet again selling at a loss (weak Yen, GDDR5 RAM which means zero price flexibility).

Why are you so butthurt about this? Most devs will develop for both systems. Plus EA seems to want to get in bed with Microsoft.

I have a GCN, PS2, PS3, Wii and gaming PC plus GBA+DS+3DS and PSP, plus some older systems. I have NEVER seen a compelling reason to get either Xbox, even at dirt cheep (like I got... pretty much everything but the game PC, GBA and DS for. Yay for waiting till the end of generation and clever sale use). Hell, even if the Xbox One is cracked as badly the PSP, I don't even see any multiplats worth pirating, let alone exclusives.
Which just confirms you're a retard Weeaboo. Just like Tehdagah and Machocruz.

deuxhero

Arcane

I play ALL games, as long as they are good (or not strategy I guess, because I suck at them). Neither Xbox has many good games I can't get otherwise, therefore I have no interest in them.

Dexter

Arcane
Uh, Bruticis is right. Codexers might like consoles, they might hate them. But given the length of this thread, and the number of times certain people have posted in it, they certainly don't 'not give a fuck' about them. Claiming otherwise is about as convincing as hiver claiming he's not really mad after writing a rage-filled, incoherent wall of text.

Well, obviously we all care. We care about the games industry overall, and the new console war will have a profound impact on it. Same reason we cared about Oblivion back in the day; sure, part of it was making fun of all the retardation among Bethesda fans, but the game itself was very influential, and so we raged at the horrible, horrible influence it exerted. Game design principles we all adhere to were formed in opposition to Oblivion, like the hatred for quest compasses.

But we only really care about the implications, not the product itself. It's kind of how I care about the Kwan presidential election - it obviously affects me in an indirect way, and it's often fun to laugh at all the nonsense that goes on during the campaign, but I'm not exactly invested in any of it.

And clearly we won't all be buying the new shitbox the moment it hits store shelves, which is what skyway's shtick is all about these days. Neither did we all play Oblivion seven times back in the day.
Yeah, pretty much this. The last actual consoles I owned were in the time of the Sega Mega Drive, SNES and GameBoy Color. I couldn't give much of a fuck about the products, I'd rather pay 600€ for a new Graphics card even though I don't need it (I'm actually waiting for the 780 GTX, ~1000€ for a Titan is a bit much) or buy another DevKit of the Oculus Rift for 300€ than put that money into Microsoft or SONY and contribute directly to the decline, but if you think that this has no influence on PC and gaming overall you are retarded. Back when they introduced the Xbox in 2001 Strategy, Adventure and RPG-genres almost died as a cause of that and a lot of games and development studios declined beyond saving or died.
I've been bitching about that enough separately though and don't have to do it here again: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/what-happened-to-gaming.78085/page-2#post-2375643

The success of the Wii made both Microsoft and SONY go half-retard and release "Kinect" and "PlayStation Move" and made this entire "movement-based" gaming-craze flare up and it's frankly stupid to assert that going full retard with a gaming console being marketed with 70% non-gaming content for TV-watchers and casuals and putting the emphasis on that shit or the abuse of Always-Online DRM won't have any repercussions on the gaming market as a whole. I didn't buy either Diablo III or Sim City because of that (and because I knew what'd happen and that they'll be shit long before release) and won't do with other games employing that kind of DRM for a very long time, but the amount of them would increase at least a tenfold if it's a "new feature" in ye' newest console-toy.

Bruticis

So you're fighting the system, trying to make the gaming world a better place for all of us? BRAVO! I'd aim a tad higher then the GG forum of rpgcodex though, just a thought.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Why are you so butthurt about this? Most devs will develop for both systems and they'll look exactly the same. Plus EA seems to want to get in bed with Microsoft.

Multiplatform development is disgusting.

Look what's happened to pc games.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
But we only really care about the implications, not the product itself. It's kind of how I care about the Kwan presidential election - it obviously affects me in an indirect way, and it's often fun to laugh at all the nonsense that goes on during the campaign, but I'm not exactly invested in any of it.
That's great for you, but it's pretty clear that a lot of people care about the product. Why else would they be following every minor bit of news about it? Also non-Kwans who pretend to not care about Kwan politics while constantly complaining about it and deciding every Kwan they meet must hear their opinions on it are hilarious.

Technical specs matter a whole lot if you care about multiplatform games - see the puny 512 MB of XboX360 memory that made us suffer through endless loading screens and constricted level design for 8 years. And if you care to read through this thread, it's mostly about people laughing at the possibility of the consoles not running used games, the possibility of always online, and what the revealed hardware means for multiplatform game development. Not as sensational of an interpretation as the bulk of the Codex userbase being composed of crypto-consoletards, I know.

Well, some users, like Morgoth or Xi, seem to actually care in a "shall I buy this shit?" way, but I would count them in the minority.

And clearly we won't all be buying the new shitbox the moment it hits store shelves, which is what skyway's shtick is all about these days.
Good thing we're not talking about anything skyway's said, or some claim that everyone will d1p these then... I'm just saying that Brut is right to say that Infi is full of shit when he says that people here don't actually care about consoles, aren't butthurt, and are just in it for the lulz.

To be fair, I don't think anyone's especially butthurt. "Mostly in it for the lulz" seems like a good description of all the posts since the grand Xbox ONE reveal. And Infinitron was replying to Sam Ecorners, who was either trolling, or noticably butthurt himself.

Xi

Arcane
I find the new stuff interesting. It's going to be different in some ways this time. Just curious about those differences.

Machocruz

Arcane

Don't blame me for western console inadequacy. Tell round eye to stop soiling platforms with movees and interactive lifestyle experiences™. Would be better for consoles and PC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So Dexter, in light of these news, what do you think about EA's announcement that they are cancelling their online pass program? I guess it's going to be redundant soon.

deuxhero

Arcane

Don't blame me for western console inadequacy. Tell round eye to stop soiling platforms with movees and interactive lifestyle experiences™. Would be better for consoles and PC.

Pretty much. Almost all of the companies I say I'm a fan of are eastern because all the companies I WOULD love from the west either got bought by EA to mass produce garbage and were killed when it didn't sell, died because of crappy management (BIS), died because of asshole publishers (Troika) or turned to shit and died or lost my favor (Piranha Bytes, ID, too many to count) because of it.

Eastern devs seems to have some secret to staying alive and at least half-way decent western devs can't figure out.

Dexter

Arcane
So Dexter, in light of these news, what do you think about EA's announcement that they are cancelling their online pass program? I guess it's going to be redundant soon.
Well, that was pretty obvious from the beginning, even without the recent Announcement: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...at-next-for-ea-on-first-sale/#comments_header

I'm thinking EAs "partnership" entails them to some sort of preffered standing on either Microsofts own Online service or possibly even Origin-integration of some sort or similar that they were discussing with Nintendo but were denied: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/xnt5r/whatever_happened_to_the_groundbreaking/

Also some more stuff on the Online requirement:
xboxonedoesrequireintgisba.png

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Technical specs matter a whole lot if you care about multiplatform games - see the puny 512 MB of XboX360 memory that made us suffer through endless loading screens and constricted level design for 8 years.
So you do care. Good, I'm happy you can admit that. Nothing wrong with caring.

Not as sensational of an interpretation as the bulk of the Codex userbase being composed of crypto-consoletards, I know.
What a pity nobody claimed the Codex was composed of crypto-consoletards then. Seriously, read back, nobody did.

Also it seems to me Sam Ecorners was just pointing out that people here are getting all fired up about a lot of stuff that will probably amount to nothing, rumours, and meaningless differences in marketing focus. He even said he wasn't buying it, so it's not like he's butthurt xbox defense force. Sorry Cowboy Moment bro, I'm really not seeing it. Whatever though, I've made too many only semi-on topic posts in this thread, and I genuinely don't care about consoles, so I'm out.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, Microsoft being a player in the game's industry is finished. It's looking like PS4 will be the last decent console. Fucking Linux needs to up their shit about now or yesterday. This is actually the burn part of a crash and burn that'll likely end up being "prosperous" for us here at the Codex. Games are gonna be around forever, but once the popamole bubble bursts, oh my the incline.

:yeah:

:incline:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I'm surprised you faggots are laughing at Microsoft branching away from gaming-only focus. If anything this is good news, less focus on games for consoles means PEESEE RESURGENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also seems like a good media center FWIW. Hulu and Netflix are my babysitter :smug:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I don't see how any of this is a decline of popamole. Codexers might be nostalgic and jaded, but they're also fucking naive.
The moles were born on PC and they're coming home to roost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom