Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Battle Of The Sands (from KoTC developer)

TigerKnee

Arcane
The Knights of the Chalice guy finally finished the RTS he was working on. Apparently it's supposed to be like Dune.

http://heroicfantasygames.com/BOTS/BOTS_Introduction.htm

I'm guessing people here are going to be less interested in this and more like "Yay, it's finally done! Now he can get back to KoTC 2"

Tried the demo and....

It is a strategy game with 5 different buildings in total and a grand total of 1 unit you can build, with a simple resource system (build silo for moneys per sec) and popamolified production (toggle factory on to produce automatically). Extremely bad game, he shouldn't have bothered.

DraQ

Arcane
Tried the demo and....

It is a strategy game with 5 different buildings in total and a grand total of 1 unit you can build, with a simple resource system (build silo for moneys per sec) and popamolified production (toggle factory on to produce automatically). Extremely bad game, he shouldn't have bothered.
:lol:

And I thought Dark Colony was simplistic back in the day...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Original KotC was bad game, just some players had pink glasses.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Tried the demo and....

I dunno, maybe the demo is just shit? Starcraft 1's demo just gave you like, 3 units to play with, Terran only and tier 1 buildings period.

DraQ

Arcane
And no, being indie is not a virtue in itself.
Sure if you have bold and unconventional concepts (on any level) and have to go indie to realize them, then by all means do and I wish you the absolute best of luck.
But if you just durrhurr and want to make games for living but have neither ideas worth building upon, nor skills to be employed by someone, then please fucking die instead.

"Oh look, it's uglier and simplified clone of Dune fucking II but hey, it's indie!" doesn't cut it.
If you think otherwise you're just a fucking hipster in the most peiorative meaning of this word.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Original KotC was bad game, just some players had pink glasses.

Thanks for the tip. I thought it was a good game, but I guess I was wrong.

Is that passive aggressiveness?

It was fucking great.

If you love grind. I was forced to pause P3FES because it has quite grind at later stages.

Have you abused magic item creation, and knowledge of where your units would be transported before game would arrange enemies around info? Or you simply didn't went ironman, going ironman is grindistics, without prior knowledge about boss fights and some tactics for them, otherwise well it's kinda random.

Boys you are simply jealous because of Beta I managed to get into.

Baron

Arcane
http://heroicfantasygames.com/BOTS/BOTS_Screenshots.htm >> http://heroicfantasygames.com/BOTS/Screenshots/09.jpg

I really can't get into RTS with this many units, with their meaningless little hit point bars above them. Hordes of orcs I can do, but hordes of tanks bore me. Mohawk sporting bikers in chaps MAYBE, hordes of trikes and dune buggies possibly, and tanks... no no no. WHERE DOES THE METAL COME FROM?! HOW DO THEY NAVIGATE AROUND THE HULKS?! WHY IS THERE NO RECYCLING?!

There's no strategy in horde vs horde. And I know that's RTS in a nutshell - to out economy your opponent (ie. US vs Russia). But it seems such a waste of gameplay depth. With less units a nimble player could out manoeuvre his units so that they fired into the flanks or less protected rear of enemy units inflicting maximum butthurt. Or you could introduce more complicated unit features like fuel, whereby players could choose between heavier units with a shorter travel range or lighter fuel efficient units that excel on vast desert maps and controlling resource points (ie. knights vs Saladin's skirmishers). I'd love a game where a players would lean towards light units over heavy depending on the terrain. It makes me think of Mechwarrior, choosing different mechs that produce less heat for battle on hot worlds, or those with jump jets because you want to accomplish obectives, other than removing the enemy base from the map.

Anyway, just ranting. I know it's not this developer's responsibility to make the perfect RTS. Just saying that if you're going to have hordes, make them from meat, so that a tank can drive over the top of them and cut a bloody swath through. ie. DUNE 2.

http://heroicfantasygames.com/BOTS/Screenshots/10.jpg >> Why? I just want to know. Why?

oscar

Arcane
This looks simplistic even if it were for a flash game. Why someone would pay a single cent for this is beyond me. This game would have been a laughing stock in 1993.

Johannes

Arcane
Isn't sarcasm a form of passive aggressiveness?
No. Usually it's just aggressive like in this particular case too. Now whining "is this passive aggressiveness?", now that's quite easily intepreted as passive aggressiveness.

There's no strategy in horde vs horde.
Don't know about this game either way, but no, high unit count doesn't necessitate any lack of tactics.

Baron

Arcane
Why do developers even put hit point bars on units when you have this many? It's not like you go, "Oh no, foddertank #83 is down to 10% health, I'd better withdraw him for repairs!"

Just remove the god damned green bar from all over your battlefield. Does it change your gameplay one iota? Let the tanks just blow up and let them look like tanks. Hitpoint bars are useful when you can do something about it when they get low or want to do something about it. They just don't serve any point at all. Man, I should have the time, talent, inclination and resources to make games because I would make very good games.

Johannes

Arcane
Why do developers even put hit point bars on units when you have this many? It's not like you go, "Oh no, foddertank #83 is down to 10% health, I'd better withdraw him for repairs!"
In some games that is exactly the case

there's around 50 yellow tanks in that image, honestly it's not that many that you couldn't control them intelligently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom