Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "Call of Doom" - Doom 4 is fucked

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So any chance that this won't be a "realistic" health-regen, two weapons maximum, hide behind cover the whole game piece of shit?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So any chance that this won't be a "realistic" health-regen, two weapons maximum, hide behind cover the whole game piece of shit?
Since this is Bethesda, I think so. I'm sure it will have plenty of other problems, but I don't think those specifically.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's funny, usually my malicious side is a small voice, but right now it's so fucking loud it drowns out all the others while it cheers.
Why is that?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I enjoyed Doom 3 for what it is, but the earlier titles are FAR superior, even if I find Doom 64 slightly better than Doom 2. :lol:
I'd really love if they came back to what made Doom great. RIP AND TEAR AND RIP AND TEAR.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, but they won't come back to it because the assholes working there now have probably only played it as a kid and are total story whores and don't know what the fuck makes a good goddamn first person shooter.

Azazel

Arbiter
Carmack is, indeed, sucking the mighty console cock pretty hard these days. His retrospective on why RAGE failed was pathetic:

“We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games,” he explained. “That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/08/c...ts-id-doesnt-see-pc-as-leading-game-platform/

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So he's now just a corporate stooge more than ever.
How long until ID is just an engine developer? Not long?
good.jpg

UserNamer

Cipher
Yeah, but they won't come back to it because the assholes working there now have probably only played it as a kid and are total story whores and don't know what the fuck makes a good goddamn first person shooter.
yeah I think they are totally incapable of realizing that doom is still a fun game with a very distinct flavor (ie not shit like most modern story shooters), these assholes believes it was only successful because it was the first (second...third...whatever) first person shooter, and the point of a reboot would be to flesh out the STORY more and removing pesky little flaws that could cause fun like unrealistic sanic speed, hordes of monster at the same time, combat based on maneuvering and hellish hordes management, exploring and finding secret and so on, and replace them with linear shooting galleries that doesn't get too much in the way of the plot.

ANyway I repeat myself, a really fun, very well done recent shooter is serious sam 3. It also has impressive graphics. The gameplay is challenging and ultra fun, and it features the right amount of "Plot" a game like this should have

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It's a subsidiary. I'm surprised he didn't leave as soon as the company was bought.

I'm also pretty sure id was bought for their engine coding ability. I don't really think Doom 4 or whatever is high on their list of priorities. Rather they're probably at work trying to replace that Gamebryo disaster.

Micmu

Magister
fuck ID straight to hell
id was dead to me at least 10 years ago.

Whoever leaving or joining "ID" isn't gonna change shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm also pretty sure id was bought for their engine coding ability. I don't really think Doom 4 or whatever is high on their list of priorities. Rather they're probably at work trying to replace that Gamebryo disaster.

They've said repeatedly the Gamebryo-rooted engine they keep updating is what their designers know and allows them to make large worlds relatively quickly. They have repeatedly denied switching engines to anything id makes. I believe them.

Pretty sure id was bought for the IP and because before Rage came out they seemed like hit factories looking for better production management.

Xi

Arcane
All they need to do is add RPG elements. Make the game take place in a certain state. The hero has to defend from invading hell armies (and their generals) while the player gathers intelligence to build weaponry to defeat the armies. Also, the game should have a squad/platoon that the player commands (who also gain stats/levels/skills for successfully surviving combat) that the player can equip with research/intel/looted items from each battle.

Then, like Skyrim, it could sell 15+ Million copies and earn over a billion dollars in revenue.

Squad based shit would be really weird for Doom. I could see a System Shock-like stats system. Indeed, we even have a precedent from Doom 3 to give the player magic hell powers. But the last thing the game needs is friendly NPCs and shit. Doom is about one man shoving a boot up Hell's ass, nothing else.

Given Bioshock's success we probably have a good chance of getting that flavor of watered down crap rather than one that is interesting though.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
they were also products of the 90's, that heavy metal vibe is long gone.

This is a great point. Look at the culture of today, and compare it to the culture of the early 90's. Today's culture is about people pleasing and all sorts of other forms of coward worship, the 90's was a big "FUCK YOU!! /middlefinger" to the status quo, and the games of each era reflect this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom