Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Delterius

Arcane
They can say whatever they want and the gaming press will translate it in more favorable terms.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that they did a great disservice to the dual-wielding guy by only showing him fight some crappy enemies. Other videos are much more interesting.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Why do all those Jap developers refuse to speak baka gaijin language?
Because even if they learn the language the accent tends to make it incomprehensible. I'd also imagine it's just way more of a pain in the ass to learn for them than it is for other euro languages that at least use the same alphabet.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think that they did a great disservice to the dual-wielding guy by only showing him fight some crappy enemies. Other videos are much more interesting.

It sold me on that gameplay style in this series though. I usually play a highly mobile DPS in action RPGs and didn't know Dark Souls had that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
From what I heard most of them DO speak engirishu, but so badly that they are ashamed of speaking it. Especially after events like this:

Damned Registrations

Why do all those Jap developers refuse to speak baka gaijin language?
Because even if they learn the language the accent tends to make it incomprehensible. I'd also imagine it's just way more of a pain in the ass to learn for them than it is for other euro languages that at least use the same alphabet.
If the Japanese use katakana to transcribe all foreign languages, why would English in particular be a problem?

Japanese who spent time abroad, like Kaz Hirai, speak English very well.
It isn't english in particular. They butcher anything foreign. And the guy in the post above mine isn't even that bad. The worst ones tend to show up in anime when they just get a japanese guy to say lines in english (or german or whatever.) Yeah, there are exceptions that speak properly, but I'd doubt that applies to most developers.

You'd avoid speaking inugurishu too if you sounded like this:

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The game looks pretty decent so far. Although, the combat seems a bit faster and more attack oriented generally, with more comboing and rolling out than circling and waiting for an opening. I can't tell if the temple knight is doing mid-rolls. If so it seems like they are fairly fast and low-risk. But from the stamina bar it looks like he's a pretty high soul level, so maybe its a fast roll.

praetor

Arcane
So are the classes actually meaningful this time?

Not sure why that matters.

Choosing a class has benefits beyond shuffling stats.

it was not present in the 2 previous games, so i doubt it will this time. and, as castanova says, who the fuck cares?

anyway, i hope pyromancies won't be tied to intelligence like in DeS (although judging by that sorc video, they will). it was nice having a versatile class of sorceries that didn't require massive stat investment to hybridize

Damned Registrations

It made pyromancy broken for pvp though. SL 20 people with 1k hp zapping you with a fully upgraded pyro glove for 800 damage a shot when you have ~600 hp

praetor

Arcane
It made pyromancy broken for pvp though. SL 20 people with 1k hp zapping you with a fully upgraded pyro glove for 800 damage a shot when you have ~600 hp

but making it the same as DeS is some bethesda-level "balancing" (and i wonder how they'll explain it lore-wise). also, it was far from broken since if you were caught by a pyro at SL20 you were quite bad at the game [in the PvP context, of course] (pyros shine at 45dex, since without those speedups only the combustions were moderately useful (at best) against anybody but the noobiest of noobs)

but making it the same as DeS is some bethesda-level "balancing" (and i wonder how they'll explain it lore-wise). also, it was far from broken since if you were caught by a pyro at SL20 you were quite bad at the game [in the PvP context, of course] (pyros shine at 45dex, since without those speedups only the combustions were moderately useful (at best) against anybody but the noobiest of noobs)

Well on your first playthrough at SL20 you were, in fact, a noob. that's like what around when you'd fight the gargoyles?

I never had the SL20 troll ambush happen to me, but I would imagine that the SL20 pyromancer with fully upgraded equipment vs the "natural" SL20 level of upgrades also meant the pyro didn't have to be particularly good. Just tank hits and spam combustion/great combustion. Both are pretty fast even without 45 dex.

Damned Registrations

It's not like you need anything more than combustion anyways, especially when a single hit will kill. You can literally just poise through whatever the fuck the lowbie has and nail him.

DS PvP was never more than a curiosity really. It's not meant to be balanced. It's to be assumed that if you are being invaded you are an underdog, which is why it's fun to be invaded. Would be alright if secondary characteristics outside of SL had an effect on player matching, but don't fuck up SL and just make pyromancy another magic IMO.

There needs to be a covenant that lets you counter-troll invaders by entering as a blue phantom automatically when someone is invading a third party though.

betamin

Learned
The game looks pretty decent so far. Although, the combat seems a bit faster and more attack oriented generally, with more comboing and rolling out than circling and waiting for an opening. I can't tell if the temple knight is doing mid-rolls. If so it seems like they are fairly fast and low-risk. But from the stamina bar it looks like he's a pretty high soul level, so maybe its a fast roll.
I think they removed invincibility frames from rolling to up the risk of dodging, just like they added a backstab "counter" to get the same effect and make the pvp more than backstab fishing.

praetor

Arcane
Well on your first playthrough at SL20 you were, in fact, a noob. that's like what around when you'd fight the gargoyles?

I never had the SL20 troll ambush happen to me, but I would imagine that the SL20 pyromancer with fully upgraded equipment vs the "natural" SL20 level of upgrades also meant the pyro didn't have to be particularly good. Just tank hits and spam combustion/great combustion. Both are pretty fast even without 45 dex.

yes, of course. but those griefers are gonna grief with or without pyromancies. on my first playthrough i got invaded in the lower burg by a griefer in ornstein+gold hemmed (pre-patch) wielding pyros and a lightning claymore (no, i did not kill him, but i was a backstab away from it. sure, it was annoying, but i was man enough not to go bitch and whine "XY is OP 'cause i suck" left and right). but you know what it is about 99% of the griefers? they suck, that's why they do it. and you know what you can do if you suck even more than they do? play hollow those early levels and do not summon dudes that will wreck your enemies before you even see them. funny how rare are the complaints against the latter...

EDIT:
DS PvP was never more than a curiosity really. It's not meant to be balanced.
in DeS i certainly agree. but the success of DeS PvP most certainly made the devs take the PvP aspect more seriously, which was obvious for many reasons (most obviously from patch changelogs that changed most stuff that was unbalanced in PvP)

I think they removed invincibility frames from rolling to up the risk of dodging, just like they added a backstab "counter" to get the same effect and make the pvp more than backstab fishing.

I hadn't seen that. Backstab counters sounds pretty good actually.

The no invincibility frames to the roll sounds pretty good too. Although I think there would have to be other balance changes around it. Rolling in DkS didn't seem overpowered after they nerfed the wood-grain ring to me. Once you couldn't combine heavy armor and fast-roll, high poise required a sacrifice in mobility and positioning. It seemed like the major imbalance involved in the fast-roll vs heavy armor axis was heavy weapon hitstun giving the high poise, heavy weapon build the ability to walk into a swing or two and then stun-combo FTW. But I haven't played PvP in a long time, so maybe that no longer applies.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Rolls still have iframes, but reduced.
Backstabs now require a "hit" before you perform the animation.
Parry/riposte works like this: when you parry, you knock the enemy down. When you attack them, you get a damage bonus.

Machocruz

Arcane
BS in DaS seems much easier to land than in DeS. Wonder why they changed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom