Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Combat was secondary in Torment, and will probably be secondary in Torment 2. There is no need for TB combat. Suck it haters.

You don't like Fallout, thus, your opinion is worth about as much as my dog's vomit.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Combat was not shit because of RTWP. It was bad encounter design and a ruleset lacking depth (opposite to BG2 for example).

This has nothing to do with what you posted.

Combat was secondary in Torment, and will probably be secondary in Torment 2. There is no need for TB combat. Suck it haters.

Which doesn't even make any sense at all. R00fles!

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Even if combat isn't primary, that's no reason to go with the poor decision of RTwP.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if combat isn't primary, that's no reason to go with the poor decision of RTwP.

According to the developers themselves, neither turn-based nor real-time nor phase-based is a "poor decision". All three systems can serve Torment's needs. It's entirely up to the backers' tastes.

No matter who wins, I can't wait for the delicious butthurt from the losers. :smug:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've got two out of three options to not make my butt hurt, that should be pretty good odds. But then... I've never been considerably lucky.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've got two out of three options to not make my butt hurt, that should be pretty good odds. But then... I've never been considerably lucky.
Not really, phase based is not really a contender IMHO and what's worse, it's going to split the TB base, while RTwP retards are going to carry the day.

This should be our St. Crispin Speech moment, honestly.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Not really, phase based is not really a contender IMHO and what's worse, it's going to split the TB base, while RTwP retards are going to carry the day.

Someone who can write should comment here: https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...taneously-executed-turn-based-combat-also-kno

Edit: Someone already did:

WinterRaptor said:
Phase-Based Brothers and Sisters! If this does come up in the vote, and if you care for Turn-Based above RTwP, I suggest not dividing the greater dual-inclined between this and Turn-Based, lest the third party overtake both due to the split. Vote Turn-Based, for solidarity, and for the simplicity of transition from the source material, Monte Cook's system of which T:TN is based, indeed a turn-based Pen and Paper RPG.

:bro:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You're assuming it will be a simple plurality-takes-all vote.

Also, I'm not sure the systems will be presented as simply "turn-based", "phase-based", "real time". I think it will be a lot more detailed than that.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
According to the developers themselves, neither turn-based nor real-time nor phase-based is a "poor decision".

Hey, nobody's perfect.

No matter who wins, I can't wait for the delicious butthurt from the losers. :smug:

But it'll just be retread butthurt from the Curmudgeonly TB crowd when they unveil that it's RTwP. I'd rather see the RTwP guy's small claims court case.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You don't like Fallout, thus, your opinion is worth about as much as my dog's vomit.
Please quote me where I said that I didn't like Fallout you retarded newfag. Don't just bring up my Fallout thread, show me the lines, where I stated my dislike about Fallout. Fucking idiot edgy wannabe tards.

Combat was not shit because of RTWP. It was bad encounter design and a ruleset lacking depth (opposite to BG2 for example).

This has nothing to do with what you posted.

Which doesn't even make any sense at all. R00fles!
Anyway, they can make interesting combat with RTWP.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
J_C
If anything, (comparatively) simpler and less frequent combat encounter implementation ameliorates one of the biggest complaints about turn-based systems: "Uuuu-WAAAAAGH, it takes too long! *sniff* I have a wife, four kids, three cats, and two dogs, I can't spend f-five minutes *snrk* on one c-combat session!"

The ability to ruminate during combat and savor each step would be welcome when combat doesn't happen every ten seconds.

karfhud

Augur
I have absolutely no bloody idea why would anyone not want turn-based combat in the new Torment game. I'm a psychofan of the original PS:T, but for the love of God, combat was bad in there. Back in the day I didn't mind it too much, but when I started catching up on games and gave Fallout a spin, I realized that engaging combat might actually compliment a story-driven game.

They only logical thing to do is learn from the mistakes and include a proper combat system. Proper, as in, turn-based - after all, they're trumpeting the glorious return of old-school RPGs.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yes it shouldn't be a contender in that sense. And I'm not going to vote it. But if it happens, at least it's phasebased and not RtWP.

AstroZombie

Arcane

Please quote me where I said that I didn't like Fallout you retarded newfag. Don't just bring up my Fallout thread, show me the lines, where I stated my dislike about Fallout. Fucking idiot edgy wannabe tards.

You either think Fallout is man's greatest creation or you think it's shit. Nuance is for faggots.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's not like making it TB is some extra effort compared to RTwP so there doesn't have to be a particular 'need' for it. They should just go with the best system* regardless of how important it is in the game and adjust the specifics according to the game's design.

*that's turn-based for ya'll who didn't know

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C
If anything, (comparatively) simpler and less frequent combat encounter implementation ameliorates one of the biggest complaints about turn-based systems: "Uuuu-WAAAAAGH, it takes too long! *sniff* I have a wife, four kids, three cats, and two dogs, I can't spend f-five minutes *snrk* on one c-combat session!"

The ability to ruminate during combat and savor each step would be welcome when combat doesn't happen every ten seconds.
You've got a point here. Still it won't be doom and gloom for me if they choose other systems.

You either think Fallout is man's greatest creation or you think it's shit. Nuance is for faggots.
For the monocled gentlemen of the Codex, nuance is everything. Black and white standards are for popamolers.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And exploration was tertiary in PS:T, so I guess that means it's fine to make all the levels into corridors.

AstroZombie

Arcane

For the monocled gentlemen of the Codex, nuance is everything. Black and white standards are for popamolers.

And the majority of the posters on the Codex are faggots, your point?

In case it's hard to tell(this being the internet and all) I'm not being serious.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
And exploration was tertiary in PS:T, so I guess that means it's fine to make all the levels into corridors.
Well if they want to make a real Torment 2, they should make mediocre combat and no exploration. :troll:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's just bizarre that people play a game with walls of text (needs some patience) , but insist on RTWP which exists mostly due to Diablo's influence and the need to implement more fast paced trash combat.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just bizarre that people play a game with walls of text (needs some patience) , but insist on RTWP which exists mostly due to Diablo's influence and the need to implement more fast paced trash combat.
You seem to forget that RTwP is hard core old school retro Baldur's-Gate-like system now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom