Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples II, anyone?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I had a friend tell me about this game and was wondering if anyone else around here had played it and what were opinions about it? I was told the combat was similar to Ogre Battle without the Tarot cards which seems appealing to me. It's just the screenshots don't really look all too good to me. I like the artwork though. Any opinions on the game? Good? Bad?

It's a pretty good game. I'm surprised you didn't like the screenshots, IMO Disciples 2 has gorgeous graphics, some of the best I've seen. Haven't played Ogre battle, but the combat is turn-based with stacks of up to six party members, 3 in front and 3 in back. Some large allies take up 2 slots IIRC. All units gain experience as they fight, and you also recruit heroes with special abilities who can use magic items and that you can carry over between maps. Cities you conquer can also be upgraded to churn out new units. It's sort of like Warlords 3 & 4 except you have direct control over combat.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It looks like ogre battle from the screens I've seen which show the battles, I haven't seen any screens of an overworld look like ogre has though. From what I hear of how it works, it sounds alot like ogre battle.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
I put it behind Aow2 and ahead of MM4...I liked the AI, but I found the graphics a little too dark and difficult to discern at times. The combat was simple, but acceptable and I liked the way magic was implemented (though on maps with many resources, it could be unbalanced).

Overall, the aspect I disliked the most about it was that it necessitated the creation and survival of the 'uber' party. Since there was no creature spawning, experience on any given map was (relatively) finite, particularly the crucial easy encounters that you needed to build your party's experience. You can gain xp from your rivals (who can continuously build new units), but if they are using an uber party, you'll never get your party's strength up to a level to challenge them. Once your uber party was gone, the game was over (contrast this to Aow where a lost battle's only critical loss is your hero which might later be resurrected (if you have the spells)).

This had the result that, effectively, most games were over about half way through the game when these uber-parties met....still, despite that, it was enjoyable...

also, otaku, check your pm...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Sharpei_Diem said:
I put it behind Aow2 and ahead of MM4...I liked the AI, but I found the graphics a little too dark and difficult to discern at times. The combat was simple, but acceptable and I liked the way magic was implemented (though on maps with many resources, it could be unbalanced).

It's the darkness that kind of made me jittery in the screenshots. I love the art though and really liked some of the features listed for the game. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys. :)

Sharpei_Diem said:
also, otaku, check your pm...

Done. Now check yours. :P

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's an alright TB game, but it's really "lite". I prefer the Age of Wonder games over it, frankly. Though I read there's a Disciples 3 in the works, so who knows what they'll cook up... It'll prolly be even more simplified, though.

TheLostOne

Savant
The visuals were probably what I liked most about the game. Very cool unit design.

Not enough depth though. Hopefully if there's a D3 they'll remedy that.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Played both disciples and ogre battle.

ogre battle -> units bring over from previous campaign.
Disciples 2 -> heroes bring over. Not units.

That's about it. All the other gameplay and item purchasing, troop training is basically the same.

Disciples 2 is a really good game btw. Just as addictive as ogre battle, if not more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom