Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fire Emblem: Awakening

sser

Arcane
Developer
Damn difficult game. I think it's not as accessible as the Advance War series, but it's fun. It's a bit frustrating in that a lot of things aren't all that explained; I'm just learning as I go. For one example, the game told me a character was weak to archers. I was like alright, so I guess they take a lot of damage from archers, then. Nope. Try one-hit KO from a totally random archer. Just doesn't make sense to me but I guess the game is pretty fucking serious about its rock-paper-scissors. The game gives nothing but heroes, but it kinda pulls a switcharoo because they all pretty much suck and might as well be named grunts with a little personality.

deuxhero

Arcane
"Weaknesses", which bows used on fliers include, are either (strength+weapon might)*3-defense or ((strength+weapon might)-defense) *3 depending on the game, and low level fliers have pretty crappy defense. The bow weakness is there mostly to force you to actually think about when to use them.

And just how wasn't it explained? You said it told you they were weak to bows.

The characters are actually pretty developed for this one

sser

Arcane
Developer
A lot of shit isn't explained particularly well if at all. The game makes huge assumptions about the player's knowledge -- something I knew was gonna happen as soon as I opened the case to see a flimsy manual. Most of the time it's just characters making a passing reference to a game mechanic. "Oh, we should work together!" Alright. But I had to look up what support does; why some pair-ups attack twice while others are trash, why some units attack twice at all, etc. I didn't even know 'conversations' existed until happening upon it on the game map; wherein I just did them without knowing what they did, if they could only be done once, etc. People gaining hearts on the map as they fight? No clue what the fuck that was without looking it up. What do some of the weapon stats mean, like why did a green number appear beside an item inside a shop? What's that mean? Why can I buy some of the magic items listed as "E" (again with numbers?), but I can't buy "Flux" even though it, too, is an E?

Sometimes it's just the shoddy interface getting in the way. One example, the game tells me where the enemy can attack me from, right? One space appears clear. But when I move a character to that space it's no longer clear. They can now attack me there. Why? I don't know, but more importantly, why didn't the game give me a heads up before I finalized that move? What purpose is the heads up if it doesn't work every time? Other things just bug me a bit about the interface in general. A hand axe is not only thrown but it has the same range as bows? Sure, I could have clicked on the weapon details, but I'd rather not do that nonstop; why was it so hard to just put everything on the interface, readily available a la Advance Wars? It's not like the game was pressed for screen space. Nor is the game even clear when you I do check. Why do I only learn an enemy does double-attacks when they're attacking/defending and not before? Does it only happen in some match ups or all of them? And why does it happen? I don't fucking know. Like with the pairs, I don't know why some support characters step in and others just chill. I can't find answers for stuff like that anywhere in the game. The fact the bows did one-hit KO damage is far, far different than "oh, I'm weak to bows." It's not that the game didn't tell me about the weakness, it's that it didn't hint at you will certainly die if fired upon by arrows. The seriousness of the damage was fucking out of nowhere because the game didn't really impress upon me that it would happen. And by that point, after slogging through all this shit, it was kinda like "Okay you fucking game, you coulda at the very least warned me a bit more than that."

The game is fun, but frustrating as all fuck because I'm constantly like, "What does this do? Why does this happen?" and I can't find the answers anywhere without going to the internet. For example, why can't I equip that "E" ranked magic when I can the others? I don't know. The only option I get on that screen is to either buy or go back. One of my skills says it will save me if hit with HP > 1. Alright. Trigger % = (Lck stat). Okay. My Luck stat is 9. So what the fuck is my percentage? Well, nowhere to be found, of course. It's this kind of shit that irks me. I'm sure veterans of the series are like so what, here's some stats right here for criticals and this and that, but my handheld strategy game of choice was Advance Wars and I can say, without a doubt, that its interface is infinitely better. It has just as many facets to its gameplay, but it doesn't waste any screen space or withhold information in anyway. I'm not saying the game mechanics are faulty, though, it's quite good there; I'm just saying it's not nearly as intuitive and accessible as it could be.

Edit: Another example, and one that kinda encapsulates a lot of issues. I'm at a part where I'm trying to upgrade a low level character. To do this, I'm feeding him enemies; makes sense. So I have the enemies channeling in. There is an archer to my left who has been doing pot shots for 7 damage. An enemy below which does 6 damage. So I switch in my weak character and finish an enemy off; this will leave the weak character prepped for 13 damage, which he can easily manage, leaving him with around 5-6 HP for the next round's heal. First guy moves, does his 6 damage as planned. The archer now attacks, but now he does 7 damage... twice. At no point prior had he done two shots. At not point prior in the entire fucking game had an archer done two shots. How am I supposed to know? Serious question. I just don't fucking understand half the things that happen.

deuxhero

Arcane
Are you playing on hard mode or higher? The proper tutorials are only on normal mode for latter FEs. There is also a guide function in the menu.

Flux's description should note it's dark magic only usable by dark mage/sorcerers. For two, you can buy items you can't use in shops (so you can give them to other units). The green likely indicates a discount, forget what exactly causes it.

The most obvious problem to your range thing is that the unit you are moving was blocking the enemy unit from reaching the spot

Double attacks are based off speed, where if one attacker has x more speed (5 or more for Awakening, lower in the rest). Super effective weapons will flash green

There aren't really a lot of "normal" weapons, and the unique ones are always in the hands of a boss or player only.

The precentage is just as it says: 9%.

sser

Arcane
Developer
After spending some time with the game (which I still maintain poorly explains a lot of its features), I am very much enjoying it. A great strategy game with a ton of character depth and replayability, at least from what I can tell.

Murk

Arcane
Goddamnit am I gonna have to put another game in the "fuck I can't run this on my shitty ass computer" category?

Also, I played the GBA "fire emblem" only once -- someone explain this extra point of view in the unlocked hard mode. Is the game sufficiently different or is it just fluff text?

Also, one thing to love about the FE games -- they let you skip cutscenes/dialog cuz they know what's up. You beautiful bastards.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Goddamnit am I gonna have to put another game in the "fuck I can't run this on my shitty ass computer" category?

Also, I played the GBA "fire emblem" only once -- someone explain this extra point of view in the unlocked hard mode. Is the game sufficiently different or is it just fluff text?

Also, one thing to love about the FE games -- they let you skip cutscenes/dialog cuz they know what's up. You beautiful bastards.

Hector's mode has a different beginning and a few bonus chapters/characters. It's also a bit harder than Eliwood's. It's been a long time, but I think there's one bonus mission that's added that adds to the story, but for the most part it's the same story. Still, if you want to replay FE7 again, it's a good choice.

Murk

Arcane
GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

Man the first time I played, Eliwood was such a little bitch -- Hector had turned out beastly tho, he was just demolishing everything. I stopped and later restarted and Eliwood turned out to be a really good character and Hector was so shitty. The stats just weren't turning out well and I was becoming ever increasingly tempted to save-scum for higher stats. Just too goddamn variable at times.

Well, anyway, that sounds legit. I'll probably end up just replaying it to unlock and then play it on Hard mode. I didn't know it actually mattered that much. Maybe I'll try some stupid challenge run, or something. I often tend to not use many of the secondary characters and just use a few heroes, and casters but then they get way too OP.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I think there's 3 bonus missions for Hector actually. 1 involve some backstory for a enemy that only shows up for 2 of eliwood's bonus missions, 1 where you can recruit the 3rd pegasus, and one more extra on the dread isle.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I bought it because it was $1 on sale and I'll have lots of bus and plane travels in the near future. This better be good, else Whisky is going to pay.

I don't know your history with Fire Emblem, but if you've played a few of them, I'd recommend playing on Hard. Normal mode is way too easy. (Even my friend, who has never played an FE game before switched to Hard because Normal was too easy) It's up to you if you want permadeath, personally I used it. I find the game is a lot easier if you can suicide rush enemies.

Repressed Homosexual
It's not FE without permadeath. There is the issue of time, but save points mid battle are a far more acceptable compromise than doing away with it completely.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Agreeing with Whisky normal is absurdly easy even without breaking the game. Hard is a decent challenge from the start now that I've started a new playthrough.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't like it very much so far, it's certainly decent, but

The characters and dialogue are very annoying
The voice bits are very, very annoying, I disabled all of them
Plot is the worst out of any Fire Emblem game I have played so far
I don't like the new pair attacks mechanic all that much, I find it's more of an hassle than anything else to constantly plan your attacks in order to build up character relationships... I preferred it just conferring a small bonus like in Vandal Hearts 1 and 2, not being a mechanic of a wife simulator

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's very much inferior to Heroes of Light and Shadow which I am still playing. Its Lunatic has that elusive "nearly impossible but rather fair" balance. Hard to believe there's an even harder difficulty I haven't unlocked yet.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
This game is fucking hard.

It'll seem that way at first.

But your main character unit is overpowered especially if you pick the right advanced class progression (Sorcerer then 2nd time Dark knight)

I can literally solo entire endgame maps without taking damage or taking so little that my skill restores my health.

Wittengstein

Novice
Never had any interest in handheld gaming before but couple of months ago Nintendo's official distributor in my country(Nortec) decided they were exiting video game business.
Lucky for me they had shitload of inventory just sitting on their warehouses and decided to do a fire sale,for years and years i paid more than double(and sometimes triple the amount)compared to what people in US pays for their hardware and software(games are generally 90 bucks here)but this time i was going to take my revenge.
So anyway i bought 2 Zelda limited edition 3ds's for 120 bucks each and sold them for 400 apiece to importers.
I also bought a white ice 3ds bundled with Mario 3d Land for 100$ but decided to hold on to that coz my margins on that weren't as high as Zelda editions and i heard so many good things about Fire Emblem.
It was my first time playing the Fire Emblem series and i freaking loved it,i finished the game at 70 hours on my first playthru with hard difficulty-could've finished sooner but i didn't want my fav characters to die so i loaded a lot-gameplay is pure fun,music is awesome,while the story is shit those cutscenes were gorgeous and replayability seems fairly high too support system makes sure you will come back to the game over and over again,and the way sidequests are arranged again makes sure you miss out on some of them and come back,also on my playtru i didn't get the characters that you could talk into joining you during combat so it seems i have another 70+ hours(at least) waiting for me.
I cant wait to go back into the game but at the moment i have a huge DS backlog waiting for me finished The World Ends With You,Started 999,Chrono Trigger-which i've never played-Radiant Historia,Strange Journey,DS Fire Emblem games and Advance Wars games and bunch of other games are on the line first.
Couple of questions for Codexers with experience on 3ds;

1.Is Fire Emblem DLC's worth it,if so which ones specifically?
2.Did anyone played Ghost Recon Shadow Wars?According to howlongtobeat it has good length(29 hour-ish)and the gameplay looks good,should i buy it?
3.I'm really excited for both the Bravely Default and Soul Hackers(Pal) any other upcoming games worth hyping for?
4.What is this Streetpass all about?Does it unlock extra content for some games or is it just a gimmick like 3d?
5.Is Virtue's Last Reward unplayable on 3ds?i'm about to buy a Vita(8gb preowned for 200 bucks and 40 bucks for PSplus account with Virtue's Last Reward,Uncharted,Gravity Rush,Asssasin's Creed and bunch of other games on it)especially for that game and to replay some PSOne classics,i heard VLR on 3ds has a savegame bug that they didn't fix does that come with only retail copies or is Eshop version bugged too?I might pass on Vita if there is some other way to get past that savegame bug.

Anyway i recommend the game to everyone it's awesome.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
VLR will look better on Vita

Shadow Warrior seems pretty good so far but I haven't played to much yet because I've been bust

Soul Hackers is good, I'm more hyped for SMT IV though

Radiant Historia is good, Strange Journey is good

grudgebringer

Wittengstein, just wait for SMT4 and buy it ten+ times.

Chromie

Novice
VLR obviously looks better on the Vita but puzzles are more annoying. The 3DS received an update recently so you can now backup your game saves onto your SD card. I'm not sure if this is only for digital games or not.

Wittengstein

Novice
Thanks guys i decided to pass on Vita while it was a good deal i just don't think maximum of 80 hours play time on the thing warrants a 240$ purchase even with p4g at most im looking at 150 hours while on 3DS Fire Emblem alone gives you 150+ hours playtime.I might buy a PSPGo it's cheap and general consensus seems to be it's the PSP with the best screen,has a tv out and fully supports CFW also features such as auto save while your battery is low makes it seem like an absolute winner but i won't pull the trigger on it till Gamescom.Sony has said that show will be all about Vita and rumors on Codex seems to suggest they'll introduce a new model with built-in memory and tv-out,hopefully they'll also add the possiblity of having two accounts on one memory card without that i'll go with PSPGo.

Chromie thanks a lot i wasn't even aware there was a new update available it seems like with this new feature i could finish the game without any problems,i'll buy VLR on 3DS when it drops below 20 euros hopefully Nintendo will have a summer sale soon.

I also decided to buy Lost Bloodlines,Smash and Future Past packs for Fire Emblem whenever they are fully available,these will be the first ever DLC purchases for me so now i'm part of the problem,hopefully they'll enhance my second playthrough.

About SMT4 i like what i'm seeing so far but i have serious doubts about game ever being available for Europe with Atlus's parent company going bankrupt and all.They said they'll keep all their announced released dates for titles they dated(which hopefully includes Soul Hackers) but they never dated SMT4 for Pal territories which worries me.At worst hopefully Nintendo or NISA will step up and release the game here with same wonderful first print bonuses for us.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Thanks guys i decided to pass on Vita while it was a good deal i just don't think maximum of 80 hours play time on the thing warrants a 240$ purchase even with p4g at most im looking at 150 hours while on 3DS Fire Emblem alone gives you 150+ hours playtime.I might buy a PSPGo it's cheap and general consensus seems to be it's the PSP with the best screen,has a tv out and fully supports CFW also features such as auto save while your battery is low makes it seem like an absolute winner but i won't pull the trigger on it till Gamescom.Sony has said that show will be all about Vita and rumors on Codex seems to suggest they'll introduce a new model with built-in memory and tv-out,hopefully they'll also add the possiblity of having two accounts on one memory card without that i'll go with PSPGo.

Chromie thanks a lot i wasn't even aware there was a new update available it seems like with this new feature i could finish the game without any problems,i'll buy VLR on 3DS when it drops below 20 euros hopefully Nintendo will have a summer sale soon.

I also decided to buy Lost Bloodlines,Smash and Future Past packs for Fire Emblem whenever they are fully available,these will be the first ever DLC purchases for me so now i'm part of the problem,hopefully they'll enhance my second playthrough.

About SMT4 i like what i'm seeing so far but i have serious doubts about game ever being available for Europe with Atlus's parent company going bankrupt and all.They said they'll keep all their announced released dates for titles they dated(which hopefully includes Soul Hackers) but they never dated SMT4 for Pal territories which worries me.At worst hopefully Nintendo or NISA will step up and release the game here with same wonderful first print bonuses for us.
Don't get PSPGo without doing research of what games you want and if they are on PSN. Square Enix didn't put quite a few of their games on PSN at all (like tri ace's games and Birth By Sleep) and I'd bet they aren't the only ones. Honestly I'd say a PSP3000 is just fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom