Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I think the DRM is the least thing people should be worried about regarding Shadowrun.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Harebrained fucked up—either by hiding the partial functionality of the DRM-free version, or else by making a promise they weren't certain they could keep (and they couldn't, not entirely); attempting to foist all the blame off on Microsoft is pure apologism.
there is no partial functionality. the drm-free version is not gimped in any way shape or form and distributor exclusive dlc are a sad reality of todays gaming that you should have expected when dealing with a shitty corporation like microsoft. it's no different than buying a game on gg, gog or gamefly and then complaining that you aren't able to use steam exclusive dlc for it and therefore that version is not fully functional.

Rake

Arcane
It the end it's not a huge issue, but it will hurt Hairbrained more than anyone else. I don't run Steam and i don't intent to. I will have the GoG version they promished me and that's it.
The only difference is that if DLCs are needed for me to play the SNES remake and any other modules, i will pirate the DLCs when i wanted to buy them. I don't think i will be the only one. For better or worse HBS knew that when they promished DRM free they targeted the anti-DRM crowd to support them. It stands to reason that this crowd won't continiue to support them beyond the base game.
distributor exclusive dlc are a sad reality of todays gaming that you should have expected when dealing with a shitty corporation like microsoft
That's the thing. I'm dealing with HBS and not M$. They could be more upfront from the get go.
Same as i trusted Fargo, not the EA for W2. You would think that when someone goes to kickstart another's IP, he would have cleared matters with the IP holder before the campain. W2 did it right. SR did it in an unprofessional way

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's the thing. I'm dealing with HBS and not M$. They could be more upfront from the get go.
Same as i trusted Fargo, not the EA for W2. You would think that when someone goes to kickstart another's IP, he would have cleared matters with the IP holder before the campain. W2 did it right. SR did it in an unprofessional way
you didn't know that microsoft owns the sr rights? did you completely miss that spectacular failure of a shooter they used to promote some shitty directx version?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, one thing's for certain. If/when I release my old pen&paper campaign in SRR form, I will make sure it requires post-Berlin content just to spite the whiny cunts ITT.

Rake

Arcane
you didn't know that microsoft owns the sr rights? did you completely miss that spectacular failure of a shooter they used to promote some shitty directx version?
I knew it. And EA owns the rights to Wasteland.Doesn't mean much. I expected HBS to promish DRM free game only if they could afford it. If their lisence came with conditions, they shouldn't promish things that depend on M$ kindness.
Sure, DLCs are not part of the deal, but when a game depents so much at it's editor, expansions and DLCs are not something that can be overlooked.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
there is no partial functionality. the drm-free version is not gimped in any way shape or form
The Steam version has greater functionality than the DRM-free version, as it will be compatible with more modules and with subsequent user mods created using those modules. Moreover, the modules and user-made content are a significant part of this game's appeal for many people. Thus, the DRM-free version has restricted functionality. It's been rendered incomplete on purpose in order to compel users to swap to the Steam version after the Berlin module. Spin that however you like—I call it gimped.

you should have expected

This is the most annoying apologist argument of all. One or two exclusive Steam DLC (or GameStop DLC, etc.) would be understandable, certainly, but all modules past the first, and all user-created content utilizing that material? No, I don't think so. Find me another "DRM-free" game with expansions/DLC for which the expansions don't work post-release. If it was to be expected, then why weren't backers expecting it? Why were they upset? Why did Harebrained acknowledge backer concerns, issue a long explanation, offer an apology of sorts, and urge people to contact their support? Why are we even having this conversation, for that matter? Ten points from Gryffindor (-1 potato)!

Well, one thing's for certain. If/when I release my old pen&paper campaign in SRR form, I will make sure it requires post-Berlin content just to spite the whiny cunts ITT.
I'm not sure you quite get it. I'm not "whining" about Shadowrun Returns, nor Steam, nor Harebrained, nor Microsoft. I use Steam and don't care at all about having to use the Steam version.

It aggravates me that sycophantic fanboys are trying to foist all the blame off on ebil ol' Microsoft, absolving Harebrained entirely rather than acknowledging that they fucked up.

Koschey

Arcane
Distributor exclusive DLC may be today's reality, but when one of the major selling points of the pitch is the editor and its future expandability and the exclusivity deal is only mentioned long after the campaign is over, it sure leaves a bad taste. I don't think HBS did it out of malice and greed, but fuck up they did.
Still, the dice have fallen and nothing about it is going to change, so all that's left to do is to move on and be more wary in the future. I'm not particularly delighted by the outcome, but I think I'll manage to survive.

Pretty sure you already posted something to this effect at least once. Perhaps someone will care if you repeat it some more :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Whiny Luddites have been repeating the same tired arguments over and over for several pages. I see no reason why I shouldn't repeat myself as well.

Seriously, if you guys can't handle steam, GTFO and go play some spiderweb games instead.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
10 more days...

Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Still haven't got my account details yet to get my key

Those were sent out months ago. Search for e-mail from info@hbs-studios.com: "Welcome to the Harebrained Schemes Account System".
Should contain a link to activate your account.
Alternatively, their advice if you're having trouble:
If you have not received the email yet or are having trouble getting into the account, please do the following:
1) Check your spam folder (yeah, we know, you probably already did but check again anyway.)
2) go to this web site and use the "Forgotten Password" link: https://account.harebrained-schemes.com/
3) email Producer Brian: brian@hbs-studios.com with your name, the email address you used to back us, and the amount of your pledge

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I knew it. And EA owns the rights to Wasteland.

In 2003, InXile acquired the rights to the Wasteland title from Konami.

No. Fargo has the rights to Wasteland.

So, you are back to not knowing shit.

Edit: Only a retard like Blaine could brofist your "knowing" post. Qui se ressemble s'assemble.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought HBS was giving refunds to people who asked for it. If you don't like Steam, can't you just get your money back?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Edit: Only a retard like Blaine could brofist your "knowing" post. Qui se ressemble s'assemble.

EA owns the IP. InXile owns the trademark (the rights to make Wasteland 2).

Rake

Arcane

I thought to write Wasteland 1 for retards like you but ...
rpgcodex7.png

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They own the stuff that was in Wasteland 1, but they don't own the entire setting. So InXile could set the game in Nevada or Texas or New Mexico and be perfectly fine.

KithKanan

Novice

To be more precise, by owning the trademark inXile owns the right to sell a game called "Wasteland 2".
EA owns the copyright for Wasteland 1, meaning:
  • EA are the only ones with the right to sell or give away the original Wasteland. InXile has a deal with EA allowing InXile to give away the original Wasteland with each copy of Wasteland 2, but not to sell or give it away separately.
  • EA are the only ones with the rights to make "derivative works" based on Wasteland. This includes a new game using elements of the original Wasteland such as locations, characters, factions, etc. InXile has a separate deal with EA allowing them to make a sequel based on the original Wasteland.

Cite: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...discussion-thread.74337/page-146#post-2754756

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I thought to write Wasteland 1 for retards like you but ...
rpgcodex7.png
kiCf2P.gif

7FPRpG.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
can we take a moment to appreciate that this thread has degenerated into nerds angrily comparing how much they know about corporate publishing politics

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom