Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prelude 1.8 Test Link

CP

Liturgist
Hey all,

Here is a link for the new version of Prelude. Fixes include:

- No more invisible characters
- Bless Dagger event fixed
- Random encounter crash fixed (body encounter)
- Dying does not send you back to Olvar's Tavern
- Telus bug fix
- Can now run in 1024x768
- Smoother scrolling/mouse speed

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B4OWJFO0

Before we post the link to our site we wanted to see how it ran for a few folks on the codex. Thanks.

CP

Nedrah

Erudite
Thanks a lot.
I must admit I was majorly tuned off by the game when I tried to run it on my Rig.
Especially the wait times in dialogue were killing me.
I'm looking forward to trying this out and I'll let you know how it worked out for me.

CP

Liturgist
Nedrah said:
Thanks a lot.
I must admit I was majorly tuned off by the game when I tried to run it on my Rig.
Especially the wait times in dialogue were killing me.
I'm looking forward to try this out and I'll let you know how it worked out for me.

Hi Nedrah. I cannot guarantee that dialogue wait times have been diminished. In fact, we went through all of the postings and our personal notes this weekend and couldn't find anything about dialogue wait times. There were issues with the wait times on increasing skills... but this is the first I've heard of dialogue.

That said if you have an issue with it I would like to get it resolved. Please check out the new version and if the problem persists send me a PM and I will set up a time to work on it. Thanks!

CP

Nedrah

Erudite
I'll be sure to keep you up to date.
Since I'm moving tomorrow and my ISP won't have me back online *till 10.10 I might not be able to do give you much feedback until then. Your effort is very appreciated, I whish more devs, Indie and AAA, would show that kind of commitment.

Nedrah

Erudite
whatusername said:
Can anyone upload this to a mirror? All the download slots in Chinaland are used. :(

I guess it'd be best to torrent the thing.
Unfortunately I can't be the seeder becaus of the aformentioned reasons.

Higher Game

Arcane
The mouse still moves choppy, but it's adequate. However, I couldn't get the higher resolutions to work properly. I set it up higher, and nothing happens. So, I went back and tried to make it 1600x1200 for fun, and again, nothing happens. So, I try to go back again, and the game freezes. A high resolution would be really nice for this, so I hope any issues with it are fixed soon!

I'm using a 4 year old system with integrated graphics, by the way. ;)

Falcon

Novice
Awesome! Can't wait to start playing / testing!!

This weekend I'm going to do some serious marathon testing! I can't wait to start a new party. I will let you know how it goes. I'll spread the word to my freinds and get them on board.

Thanks again,
Falcon

Slylandro

Scholar
I'm pretty busy this week but I'll see if I can test it out next Saturday. It's a fun game, cheers. :)

CP

Liturgist
Higher Game said:
The mouse still moves choppy, but it's adequate. However, I couldn't get the higher resolutions to work properly. I set it up higher, and nothing happens. So, I went back and tried to make it 1600x1200 for fun, and again, nothing happens. So, I try to go back again, and the game freezes. A high resolution would be really nice for this, so I hope any issues with it are fixed soon!

I'm using a 4 year old system with integrated graphics, by the way. ;)

Yeah... the higher resolution hasn't been tested thoroughly. If you run into problems, best to switch back to 800x600.

Thanks.

CP

obediah

Erudite
CP said:
Yeah... the higher resolution hasn't been tested thoroughly. If you run into problems, best to switch back to 800x600.

Thanks.

CP

On my machine, there were definite text scaling issues. On the character creation screen, the ability scores moved further to the left the higher the resolution. At 1600x1200 the numbers were mostly out of the box and unlegible. Also for the class/career listing the displayed text and the mouse input were out of sync. Right clicking on the last class showed the info for the second to last class, and clicking a bit below the last class showed the info for the last class.

obediah

Erudite
Higher Game said:
So it works for you, at least basically? It must be my integrated graphics that fail. :(

Yeah, I have to restart the game of course, but the changes to resolution do take effect.

Higher Game

Arcane
I tested it on my brother's nicer computer, and there is no delay or sluggishness with cursor speed, the higher resolutions do work (besides the text issue), and the graphics even look better! :evil:

Turn down the graphics whoredom please. Not all of us have $600+ computers here. :lol:

obediah

Erudite
Higher Game said:
Not all of us have $600+ computers here. :lol:

Damn, that's hilarious. Phear the power of my $600 computer, and it's awesome lollerz integrated graphics. I can almost type a word document in real time.

I haven't bought a computer with my own money in over two years, so not much room for me to bitch.

galsiah

Erudite
[[EDIT2: It seems I was right the first time - still getting the retrun-to-tavern-on-death bug with 1.8.]]

First - thanks. It's nice to have a stabler version, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Issues I've encountered:
Slow memory leak (seems to be only when actively playing - leaving the game paused then coming back seems ok).

Repeatable crash when hitting a hopper with an arrow from a short bow while holding a dagger in my off hand. [not a problem, since I can clearly avoid this situation - just FYI]

Graphical glitches in menu (close button disappearing, equip screen going haywire...). Possibly due to memory issues, since this was a few minutes before a crash.

Party turning up naked with blank equipment screen (no item slots / picture) at the tavern after dying. [I'm not sure what's supposed to happen on a death - is a reload supposed to be necessary??].

Mouse pointer trails stick around when the pointer is moved outside the settings menu (until menu is closed). Not a problem - just not sure if it's been mentioned.

Using the mouse wheel in the main view can put the world "backwards", so that scrolling left (mouse or key) moves right, right moves left, and up and down are reversed. Not sure if this is intended, but the first time I did it by accident it took a while to figure out how to get things back to normal (using the mouse wheel again put things right).

Game froze once when I tried saving immediately after the dream sequence.

Arrows (metal tipped) disappeared when I tried picking them up from the quiver slot, and putting them down in the same slot - having decided not to move them (I guess the game puts them in the new slot, then removes them from the old - in this case the same one, so they disappeared). Again, easily avoidable, but a little annoying the first time :).

One or two very minor suggestions (not important):
It'd be nice if the party creation allowed a character to be edited/viewed, rather than replaced. (it's not possible at present right?)

It'd be nice if the options weren't "Begin" and "Return" after a character is created. It's not clear the first time whether "Begin" means to finalize that character, or to begin the game - i.e. finalize the party keeping the other characters the same.

Since the other option is "Return", rather than e.g. "Cancel", it wasn't clear to me - particularly because clicking "Begin" doesn't actually begin anything.

In any case, it's mostly fine - I've been playing for hours at a time without any significant errors, and haven't met anything that requires more than a restart / reload to fix.
The only really obvious error is being returned to the tavern without equipment screens when someone dies.

Thanks again.

HardCode

Erudite
galsiah said:
Game froze once when I tried saving immediately after the dream sequence.

Game froze for me after dream sequence and after talking to people in that tavern you are brought to. However, I did save successfully when I first entered that tavern.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
After blessing the Novacula Sanguineus at the Barrier and completing Verugis quests you get his assistance against the dark creatures as you travel towards Crossing East. During this sequence, it gets mixed up with the dream sequence from the beginning of the game. It gets confusing for a short time, then it plays out normally at the end.

Skill point allocation is still painfully slow, I have characters with tons of unused points simply because it's too much of a chore to use them.

galsiah

Erudite
Slylandro said:
galsiah said:
Wait, that sounds exactly like the unstable version. Are you sure you have the right one?
Pretty damn sure - though I did wonder :).

I've definitely downloaded 1.8, but I guess I might have done something immensely stupid. [like installing 1.8 over 1.7, or downloading 1.8, then installing 1.7 - which is still on my hard drive.]

I'd like to think I'm not that stupid.
What's an obvious way to check the version number of an installed game? I can't seem to find one.

I guess I'll uninstall + reinstall in any case, just to be sure.

Well - at least this shows that 1.7 was fun too :). Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I must have done something stupid, since I still get the Olvar's Tavern on death issue, and increased stability might just be due to a significant memory upgrade.

Damnit, but thanks.

Slylandro

Scholar
Well, good luck, try it out and tell us how everything goes with the new installation.

galsiah

Erudite
I uninstalled + reinstalled, but I still get the same issues.

Death in combat still returns the party to Olvar's tavern, shows the disturbing dream message, and disables the equip screen.

The other issues are also the same as far as I can tell - e.g. picking up arrows from the quiver slot and putting them down in that same slot makes them vanish.

Nothing seems too bad other than the death issue. It's just rather annoying, since I much prefer death to be handled in a non-reload way (for the immershun :)).

I also found that the barter screen got screwed up once, but it's hard to be sure why:
I was playing in 1024x768 (fine up until this point).
I had just killed Salje and accepted Nylis into the party.
I had recently reloaded after the death+Olvar's bug.

CP

Liturgist
galsiah said:
First - thanks. It's nice to have a stabler version, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Thank you... I'll give you all I know and get back to you on what I don't.

galsiah said:
Slow memory leak (seems to be only when actively playing - leaving the game paused then coming back seems ok).

Unfortunately I don't think this will change.

galsiah said:
Repeatable crash when hitting a hopper with an arrow from a short bow while holding a dagger in my off hand. [not a problem, since I can clearly avoid this situation - just FYI]

I think the problem here is that you shouldn't be able to hold a dagger in your off hand. All bows are supposed to be 2 handed weapons. I thought I'd tested it with all of them, but I guess I missed this one. Apologies.

galsiah said:
Graphical glitches in menu (close button disappearing, equip screen going haywire...). Possibly due to memory issues, since this was a few minutes before a crash.

We'd love to fix, but it probably won't happen. I wasn't able to duplicate it on Mat's debugging machine though I know it exists.

galsiah said:
Party turning up naked with blank equipment screen (no item slots / picture) at the tavern after dying. [I'm not sure what's supposed to happen on a death - is a reload supposed to be necessary??].

<sigh> I thought I fixed this one. I'll get back to you.

galsiah said:
One or two very minor suggestions (not important):
It'd be nice if the party creation allowed a character to be edited/viewed, rather than replaced. (it's not possible at present right?)

You mean the default party (Celeres, Octanus, and Evgren)? We can't change that, but I the settings for the default party and other templates for good parties/characters are up in my walkthrough:

http://www.zero-sum.com/walkthrough/walkthroughStart.html

It's on the second page of "Creating a Party."

Thanks.

CP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom