Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
BTW mbpopolano24 is still at it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/comments

Kickstarter was supposed to free us from the 'evil' publishers. Now we are dealing with (some) 'evil' developers. Refunding unhappy people make just sense from a business point of view, that's all. ixLIE can decide to opt me out, or deal with the consequences. Either way, I'll get my money back.

Vault Dweller Did this guy ever pay you money for Age of Decadence?
I don't think so. He didn't like the demo.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/330343012/comments

Great speech, Mr. Stoic, bravo. Take all the time you want, as long as the game is so very good. One, two, 10 years, who cares? As long as the game is so very good. And in the meantime why not (begging) asking for more money with another Kickstarter (or two)? Actually, I have another brilliant idea: why don't you, Mr. Schafer, and the nice people at Harebrained Schemes (what an appropriate name, BTW!) join forces and make the best game ever (guaranteed), for just 150 M dollars, delivered within 2048...ehm.. 2018 (guaranteed!).
Jul. 04, 2013 on The Banner Saga.

Tim Schafer, you are a disgrace for the game industry. Maybe you 'started' kickstarter for games, but you certainly will 'kill' it. Unfortunately is human nature to take advantage of other people good faith and dreams, as it is human nature to be a 'sheep' and continue defending a project that has clearly broken all and every promises. Remember the 'celebratory' video in which our 'Dear Leader' was throwing money at himself? Well, apparently that was not just 'figurative speech'.
Jul. 02, 2013 on Double Fine Adventure.

Well, at least DFA is reacting promptly and honorably to address complains from people who have a problem with the current developments (if you don’t, good for you, keep waiting and hoping for the best). I was offered a refund, which is the only fact I care about at this point. I am reporting this for people who would like to ask for a refund as well. If the refund will materialize, I will immediately cease my activity in this forum.
Jul. 03, 2013 on Double Fine Adventure.

Actually the refund has been already issued! Thanks and good luck, I'm out.

Hi guys, this is my last message here. I just want to let you know that in response to my email, HBS offered to refund my contribution. I declined and just asked to be removed from the database. In light of this response, I am now convinced that HBS did not take their decisions on DRM and game features with a malicious intent. So, have fun with the game and good-bye.
Apr. 13, 2013 on Shadowrun Returns.

Yes, thank you for the update. I am glad we are all learning something new here. As a backer, I have learned that I should not be one. It is better to wait for the finished product before caring for a concept.
Apr. 13, 2013 on Expeditions: Conquistador.

Isn't he a ray of sunshine?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/330343012/comments

Great speech, Mr. Stoic, bravo. Take all the time you want, as long as the game is so very good. One, two, 10 years, who cares? As long as the game is so very good. And in the meantime why not (begging) asking for more money with another Kickstarter (or two)? Actually, I have another brilliant idea: why don't you, Mr. Schafer, and the nice people at Harebrained Schemes (what an appropriate name, BTW!) join forces and make the best game ever (guaranteed), for just 150 M dollars, delivered within 2048...ehm.. 2018 (guaranteed!).
Jul. 04, 2013 on The Banner Saga.

Tim Schafer, you are a disgrace for the game industry. Maybe you 'started' kickstarter for games, but you certainly will 'kill' it. Unfortunately is human nature to take advantage of other people good faith and dreams, as it is human nature to be a 'sheep' and continue defending a project that has clearly broken all and every promises. Remember the 'celebratory' video in which our 'Dear Leader' was throwing money at himself? Well, apparently that was not just 'figurative speech'.
Jul. 02, 2013 on Double Fine Adventure.

Well, at least DFA is reacting promptly and honorably to address complains from people who have a problem with the current developments (if you don’t, good for you, keep waiting and hoping for the best). I was offered a refund, which is the only fact I care about at this point. I am reporting this for people who would like to ask for a refund as well. If the refund will materialize, I will immediately cease my activity in this forum.

Actually the refund has been already issued! Thanks and good luck, I'm out.

Hi guys, this is my last message here. I just want to let you know that in response to my email, HBS offered to refund my contribution. I declined and just asked to be removed from the database. In light of this response, I am now convinced that HBS did not take their decisions on DRM and game features with a malicious intent. So, have fun with the game and good-bye.
Apr. 13, 2013 on Shadowrun Returns.

Yes, thank you for the update. I am glad we are all learning something new here. As a backer, I have learned that I should not be one. It is better to wait for the finished product before caring for a concept.
Apr. 13, 2013 on Expeditions: Conquistador.

Isn't he a ray of sunshine?

He's either a troll, a viral marketer, or a butt hurt developer with a grudge.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That really is one of the most information-dense WL2 interviews I've seen since the Kickstarter ended. Well worth the listen.

The biggest newsbits are Brian revealing one of LA's factions (one of my favs) and talking about ending states:
Paraphrasing: "Revisiting what the end of the game means. If you become a vigilante desert ranger, do I even let you go to LA? Are they even going to send you? Or will they instead send hitsquads after you?"
Basically there'll be "a lot more than three endings", and there are endings along the timeline rather than just at the end.

Wait, why are they going to DeepSilver?
They need a company to print boxes, press DVDs, make trinkets, and deliver everything. It's cheaper for them to have DeepSilver handle it than trying to do it themselves.

Honestly, I can't talk exact money considerations, but I think it'd knock people off their feet how much of a money swing this distribution license represents, all of which is going right back into the game. It's nice!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
"inXile is no longer a Indie Developer, wahhh"

As if they ever were . . .

Aren't we? How do you define indie? We're not part of any publisher nor is our development budget funded by a publisher. Isn't that independent? Or do you mean indie more in the "tiny indie company" sense?

KithKanan

Novice
"inXile is no longer a Indie Developer, wahhh"

As if they ever were . . .

Aren't we? How do you define indie? We're not part of any publisher nor is our development budget funded by a publisher. Isn't that independent? Or do you mean indie more in the "tiny indie company" sense?

Guessing more in the "stays righteously independent. Has always scorned any type of deal with anyone who might be construed as a publisher, because that would be 'selling out'. Has hipster anti-establishment cred. Hates corporations and the man so much, they run their game studio as a sole proprietorship instead of incorporating it." sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course you realize that rules out every single indie that has ever published on the XBox Live marketplace

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Of course you realize that rules out every single indie that has ever published on the XBox Live marketplace

Rules out Notch and Jonathan Blow, who are kind of the bannermen of indies as far as the press is concerned.

But it does include Spiderweb!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
an independent company is not part of a concern. it is not controlled externally.
I can't say what an 'indie' is, but it seems to be more than that.

KithKanan

Novice
an independent company is not part of a concern. it does not have external control.
I can't say what an 'indie' is, but it seems to be more than that.

I think there's a certain expectation of team size and type of games you're making that factors in there.
If you're making AAA games, you're almost by definition non-indie, no matter what your corporate ownership looks like.

inXile is, I think, small enough to still be Indie.

Double Fine is probably Indie now that they've split their studio and are making multiple small projects for different publishers, private investors, and kickstarter rather than one big team making a multi-year project for a single publisher.

Obsidian feels rather big to call Indie honestly.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Obsidian feels rather big to call Indie honestly.
yeah I think when Avellone says Obsidiant is independent, I'm pretty sure he refers to Obsidian not being owned by EA or something (like Bioware).

AN4RCHID

Arcane
That really is one of the most information-dense WL2 interviews I've seen since the Kickstarter ended. Well worth the listen.

The biggest newsbits are Brian revealing one of LA's factions (one of my favs)

The White Glove Society?

Rake

Arcane
Indie doesn't mean independent in people's minds anymore. It was so long since a big or medium sized company made a game that wasn't publiser funded that until now people equate "indie" with a 1-5 person team that has absolutely no deals with publisers, is only digital and has low production values.
Kickstarted games (the big ones) don't fit with that definition by default as the intention was to bring back the "medium sized 15-25 person team". Add physical distribution and it no longer fits the indie image some people have in mind.
That doesn't make them less independent.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
:eek: I forgot about Andale. Obsidian and inXile confirmed for ripping off Fallout 3.

KithKanan

Novice
Indie doesn't mean independent in people's minds anymore. It was so long since a big or medium sized company made a game that wasn't publiser funded that until now people equate "indie" with a 1-5 person team that has absolutely no deals with publisers, is only digital and has low production values.
Kickstarted games (the big ones) don't fit with that definition by default as the intention was to bring back the "medium sized 15-25 person team". Add physical distribution and it no longer fits the indie image some people have in mind.
That doesn't make them less independent.

I feel like it's easier to define an "indie game" than an "indie developer". An "indie game" would be one that isn't pitched to, financed by, and produced for a publisher but instead funded using private investment, advance purchases (including kickstarter and alpha-funding), and developer free-time.

If an indie game does well enough, it will almost certainly have to bring in a publisher/distributor for things like retail copies (the days of calling up computer stores and selling them floppies in baggies are looooong gone) and platforms like XBL that require publishers. In fact, I'd say if you're self-distributing a game beyond a certain scale, you become 'not-indie' because you essentially become a publisher yourself. See: Valve, CDPR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom