Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #57: Shadowrun Has Returned

Gonna play as soon as I finish taking Bar exam in five days.

Question: Should I play on hard or very hard?

Thanks.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So no problems with sales, like Expedition:Conquistador....
My backlog is merciless, -50% with mods, lot of them.

Indranys

Savant
It's a turn based game, so you can just leave it open when you have to work, and resume playing when you have time again. :)
That's a good suggestion.
But I fear my neighbor's kid will play my game and that auto save thing will ruin my playthrough. He comes to my home almost everyday to play Sim City, he also tries every new game I have.
He's a good boy and always heed my words, but still boys will be boys and nothing we can do if he disobeys me.
If Shadowrun has profile feature or anything to separate saves for one playthrough and another then I might try as you suggested.
Alas, if it has a manual save method I can steal some time to play during lunch or something and this dilemma will not exist. :oops:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I succumbed to the tempation and emptied my PayPal account from whatever remained there to buy Shadowrun. I installed it on my craptop... and, holy shit! It wooorks!! It freaking woooorks!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I had to switch off HD texture pack to improve the framerate but so far it's not giving me any issues other than long loading times. :love:

Mortmal

Arcane
No doubt it will be soon at 50% or 75% , or bunlde fodder, but i am happy with my day one purchase. I was expecting some shitty phone dumbed down , mainstream version of shadowrun ruleset, so of course i can only have a good surprise.I really indeed had a very good surprise, its linear , combat system is a bit more sophisticated than the new xcom , yet story setting and writting is really good . All in all its very enjoyable and adictive.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
It's a turn based game, so you can just leave it open when you have to work, and resume playing when you have time again. :)
That's a good suggestion.
But I fear my neighbor's kid will play my game and that auto save thing will ruin my playthrough. He comes to my home almost everyday to play Sim City, he also tries every new game I have.
He's a good boy and always heed my words, but still boys will be boys and nothing we can do if he disobeys me.
If Shadowrun has profile feature or anything to separate saves for one playthrough and another then I might try as you suggested.
Alas, if it has a manual save method I can steal some time to play during lunch or something and this dilemma will not exist. :oops:

it has seperate states for each autosave checkpoint, so you don't have to wrorry.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
meh, game is too fucking linear. combat is nice... except the 2nd/3rd battle when you're stuck in combat until you find some dumb bitch stashed away in some room.

writing could have been a lot better. I can't take thugs seriously unless they actually curse. "dreck", hah.
more like, "fuck you, cracka elf"

I hope they make a sequel with more systems in place. it lacks proper itemization and gear management.

Szioul

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I ran into a showstopper bug a few hours in. Dialog has no choices and the continue button is greyed out and does nothing. Only option at that point is to hit ESC and quit the game.
Also seems they were planning on implementing weapon mods, but it got cut. Some of the NPCs you can hire have smartlinked or silenced weapons, but it doesn't look like you can get them.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
My impressions:

Pros (in the order of importance)
- it's not an action RPG!
- it's not a first-person or third-person RPG!
- it's not a fantasy RPG (sure, it has elves and magic, but it's in teh cyberpunk future!)
- pretty backgrounds
- good setting/story/writing/atmosphere/music :thumbs up:
- skill checks in dialogues!

Cons:

- linear as fuck. Compared to it, BG is an uber non-linear RPG. Fuck, it makes Bloodlines with its hubs and linear main quest seem like a sandbox. You get a mission, unlock a small new area, walk around talking to people with taking icons over their heads, solve their problems, too small to be called side-quests, do the main objective in a violent fashion and you're done. On to the next one. Everything that can be forced on you IS forced on you.

- combat is so easy even on VERY HARD!!! so you might wish it was RT. No reason to use other attacks than the default one or use any combat-boosting drugs. Or even increase skills much. I stopped putting points in combat and started investing in hacking and charisma to unlock more fancy dialogue options. Combat and linearity reduce replayability to zero, unless you're dying to see what casting spells looks like.

The cons make it a very weak and forgettable RPG. The pros make it an enjoyable action-adventure game where you get to blast some baddies, follow a linear but well written low-key story, and explore the world of Shadowrun in a somewhat forced fashion.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but linearity and easy combat aren't game-breakers in an adventure game.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Fuck, it makes Bloodlines with its hubs and linear main quest seem like a sandbox.

Yeah, Bloodlines would have been the ideal model to follow, I think, given their budget and schedule constraints. Even if they could have only managed something on the scale of the first one or two hubs, it would have been better. That said, it's a capable title. Nothing mind-blowing, and if we were all living in the cRPG world of our dreams, this would merely be a fairly forgettable shelf-filler. As it is, we have a fairly decent title of limited scope which excels only in a reasonably compelling noir-ish story and beautiful art, assisted by its relatively small price point.

Edit - That said, I will say that there is at least shown a sense of discipline of scope at Harebrained in terms of managing a budget. Sure, no one cares about that much when you're playing the finished game, which is rightly judged on its own merits, but I do believe that had they aimed towards a non linear game with all the features being clamoured for, we certainly wouldn't be seeing it today, and likely not at all.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A self contained mission the size of Santa Monica oh gawd it would have been heavan

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Partway through, and while I pretty much agree with the cons VD outlined, I also see them as eminently fixable within the context of user-made mods, or perhaps HBS' own follow up. I say this because though the game is almost completely linear (aside from one or two optional missions so far) there's no particular reason that it has to be that way other than HBS' own budget and time constraints. It seems to me that it would be entirely possible to create 'proper' RPG hubs and large areas given the time. It'll be interesting to see what people do with it.

In terms of combat -- yeah, it's really easy. I haven't had a single merc die so far on hard. Not even close, really (it helps that physical adepts are ball-stompingly powerful here, and I took one as my main). Still, it could very easily be made more difficult by giving the player a smaller group, or forcing a certain group composition. The best combat scenarios so far in the game have been the ones where you're forced to use a certain group of runners, and only one or two. I'd like to see a persistent party in mods at some point.

Anyway, I'll finish it off tomorrow. It's actually quite fun and shows a lot of unrealized potential. Really, it's up to the community to determine what it becomes, for better or worse.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People keep emphasizing the budget. They asked for $400k and got $1.8 million. Minus KS percentage, physical rewards, etc. I'm sure they walked away with $1.2 or probably more. Now I don't know about programing but is it really impossible to make it less linear within the confines of a million plus? Not talking about Fallout/open world here, either.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People keep emphasizing the budget. They asked for $400k and got $1.8 million. Minus KS percentage, physical rewards, etc. I'm sure they walked away with $1.2 or probably more. Now I don't know about programing but is it really impossible to make it less linear within the confines of a million plus? Not talking about Fallout/open world here, either.
The switch to pseudo 3D isometric view has eaten a lot of their budget.

Lgrayman

Novice
PST was pretty linear and had awful combat, so I'm not sure that alone is enough to turn it into a "very weak and forgettable RPG."

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I think it has something to do with them spending so much time on the editor.

But really, the campaign isn't bad -- very atmospheric, well written if a bit corn-ball at times, and there are a lot of interesting options and things to do in most missions. It's funny, in terms of gameplay it actually does give me a pretty strong Fallout 'vibe', even though it is a comparative puddle to Fallout's ocean. This is why I say it feels like it could be expanded into a larger, more non-linear sort of thing. I could be totally off-base as I haven't touched the editor at all, it just seems fairly flexible.

PST was pretty linear and had awful combat, so I'm not sure that alone is enough to turn it into a "very weak and forgettable RPG."
I wouldn't call it weak or forgettable as a game, but as it is now it's a whole different level of linearity to PS:T. It's more like Wing Commander.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom