Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
The distance between the rails of those tracks is 4 feet 8.5 inches or 1.435 meters (standard north american gauge), so I'd say the characters are a bit small. A Forgivable oversight unlike the inclusion of European railcars.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still kind of upset they give info and pictures like that to magazines before actual backers, though. :mad:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Come on, somebody here's gotta know German! Step right up folks, there's an article that needs a translation! Pretty please?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Boy, look at all the skills
I am totally making toster repairing animal whispering hard ass as my first char

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Fantastich!
İch spreche kein Deutsch... So we need someone on that duty please! (even forgot how to read Deutsch :()

Edit: First look at "social skills"!

Hard Ass
Bullshit Dedector
Animal Whisperer (?!?)

Dantus12

Educated
Wasteland 2 preview in GameStar: http://gamestar.idgshop.de/gamestar-aktuelle-ausgabe.htm?websale7=idg&ci=9-2881&Ctx={ver/7/ver}{st/3ea/st}{cmd/0/cmd}{m/websale/m}{s/idg/s}{l/Deutsch/l}{mi/9-2881/mi}{p1/17764707d81dced05eb0dd1b1acb8447/p1}{md5/e0d2fbeece98ebb34ec4a3e886b604fe/md5}

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=74&p=73226#p73226

Grohal wrote:In the German "Gamestar" for August there is a great preview - some spoilers (factions, skills), but it really got me hungry for this game... no take back hungry, it let me starve for this game.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I was able to download the issue online. I think it was legal, but not 100% certain. Anyways, google translate wasn't very friendly but it looked like there wasn't a ton of new information in the main article itself. However, there are several new screenshots (6). Some of those look like areas we've already seen, just different parts of those areas and different angles. Additionally, it introduces 3 new factions that we have not been introduced before and gives a name to the Synth and priest factions from the gameplay demo. In all, it has snippets on 6 or 7 factions. It also has the most current list of skills with descriptions, which I didn't bother translating through all of those.

Looking forward to seeing all this in KS update; I'm guessing next month!
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Anybody wanna buy it and scan it?

That isn't available until 31.7.
There is another one, are the Pistolero Priests known for example, search here doesn't tell anything?

O RLY???

1374898561_medium.jpeg

http://www.mediafire.com/?oefv45ue069cy04

:kfc:
Gamestar XL is your first link.
Anny way here is the whole thing in English, sorry about the grammar.

The Kickstarter role playing game of Fallouts developer is fully on schedule. We analyze the skill system, meet the most polite cannibals in the world and wonder with Brian Fargo why no publisher wanted this project.
When Brain Fargo in March 2012 followed the example of Tim Schaefer and Kickstarted Wasteland it was his last chance . He exhausted all thinkable alternatives .
For 10 years he offered the RPG to traditional Publishers , the reactions were with
"unfavorable" politely expressed.
Meetings in which he told the history of Wasteland and Fallout, explained the tactical TB combat in detail, told the story, and at the end he was asked:"How many levels does it have?"
Maybe he was anyway only invited because his name had weight- in the past, when Interplay under his leadership nearly single handedly revived the RPG Genre, maybe they felt the outdated need to dedicate him 30 minutes before they reject him.
With the years the echo got stronger but a real chance was never there.
Fargo:
I said to them: "I have parts of Wastelands creative team with me, I have the co-inventors of Fallout, I was the Producer on both games and Bethesda just sold a few million Fallout3 copies but I never reached the point where they usually ask :"How much?"

Reflection on Kickstarter campaign.
Meanwhile Broken age used it's budget without even remotely be release ready, Wasteland 2 is nearly feature complete , the bulk of game mechanics is done, now it's polishing and balancing.
Currently works the 30 man team on the final version of the user interface, in October should the closed beta start.
Why is wasteland 2 in such healthy condition and Broken Age has difficulties?
"The Unity Engine helped us immensely, we are a Unreal Company and we are really familiar with the Engine, but if the game on Unreal would be maybe half way to where we are now with Unity maybe not even there."
Besides Fargo made early the decision to buy external solution before developing expensive in house solutions
"We did not create individual Level Editors like we did back then with Fallout. There are tools out there for 50-100 $."
He is convinced that the game will be able to keep up with other complex RPG's :
"I believe that some people will be surprised how large the game really became and how many nuances it has.I never made a more extensive game"
That is a challenging announcement but how big is the game really?
Fargo and Keenan promised 12-15 major hubs , rich areas and different smaller maps, the summary at release will be between 40-50 maps. In comparison Fallout 2 the world map has 23 places.
The fear of some that 15 months is not enough is not shared by Fargo: ''We are more afraid that the game will be to large."
The main story is 20 hours, add to that side quests , alternative solutions, "impossible to see everything in one play trough.."
So what is in the main story:
"It starts with murder, and then the Rangers get a strange radio signal that starts the entire story."
Such radio transmission are able to forward the story very well, the idea reminded us of the audio diaries of System Shock 2 and BioShock.
"Let's say you meet a woman attacked by a Robot so you shoot the robot.
But if the woman cried for five minutes for help and you experience this scene , it has a much higher emotional impact."
The Radio is not an one way road that leads from quest A to quest B, but reacts individually like the Radio Hosts of Fallout 3 and FONV and reacts based on our actions.
It may happen that our Rangers did something really good, but the bad guys twisted it in to something really evil. Such transmission options are not only available to women troubled by Robots, but to other factions and cults. And some of them are twisted individuals.
The Pistolero Priests that believe that the rest of the "garbage ' should be recycled ,they believe that the so called Rapture already happened and that the are chosen by God to clean the leftovers of the "garbage " with pistols for example.
"Children of the Citadel"half human half machine they believe that pure humans are below their levels.
The Red Scorpions can be imagined as a group of Government critical weapon lovers that believe that the civillisation will self destroy in a Nuclear Holocaust . Fargo on RedScorpions:"They are a paramilitary survivalist group as known from the USA ,and it really worked-they survived and they hate the Rangers."
The Mannerites, a very civilized and polite group of cannibals lead By Mr. Manners.They have a emphasis on manners and behavior norms, and on completely submissive women.
When someone in a breach of etiquette leaves the house without telling the husband when she will be back again, a patrol of Moral Guardians get sent out to end the problem, and make a delicious dinner available in the process, that is to be enjoyed to a fine glass of red wine.
The Gippers
US president Regan was called the Gipper a reference to one of his roles in the 40-s. They are named so because they are worshipers of Regan.
The Robinsons;
They are in the tradition of US Motivation Coaches in style of Dale Carneggie and Tony Robinsson.Positive Thinking removes the shortcomings of Nuclear Holocaust when being slightly nuts.
Wrecking Crew a street gang, wearing armor made from metallic junk parts , they are great targets for energy weapons.
There is more but Fargo will not tell.
They have Radio Shows where they take care of the "problems' in the style of classical radio shows known to us.
After the announcement of Tides of Nummenara there was a belief that Wasteland will suffer, Brain Fargo assured us that gameplay, level design and programming are starting only after Wasteland 2 is finished .
Until then for Torment there is only the story
The question that remains, is there in this interesting setting a good RPG hidden.
We may initially create 4 Rangers via a primary statistics system called CLASSIC:
Charisma, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, Intelligence, Coordination
Combat abilities;
Blunt weapons
Bladed Weapons :Swords,knifes , Machetes...
Anti Tank: RPG7 or Rocket launchers
SMG: M1A1, MP5, mark 27
Shotguns: Model 1097,Automatic 5,M500 ..the skill level decides the distance.
Energy weapons are already there from the begging example Ionbeamer or laser pistols.
Assault:AK97, M1989A1, Browning 30.06
Sniper: Springfield M1930-Repeater, half automatic NATO-M21 and the DragunovSVD
Hand Guns Peacemaker, M1911A or 9convincing millimeters. Unspectacular but effective.
Knowledge Abilities:
Picklock: doors,closets chests
Safelock :safes
AlarmDisarm :alarmsystems and electronic doors.
Toaster Repair
Computer Tech:robots, computers and cameras
Synth Tech: synthetic reprogramming and deactivation
Demolition includes grenades.
Brute force: breaking locks
General:
Silent Move,
Salvaging
Savoire Faire: A persuasion system
Hard Ass: the bad cop version of persuasion
B.S Bullshit Detector: Finding out if someone lies.
Outdoorsman: more water
Evasion
Leadership
Folklore: backers of the funding campaign get more detailed information about the world.
Animal Whisperer, Field Medic, Surgeon, Weapon Smithing
Field Stripping: disassembling weapons in parts
Perception
Barter.
So the Character Creation may become a evening filling event, Keenan said that wrong character builds may happen but someone should be really stupid for this to happen.
They don't have a problem with difficulty curves of the 90's, and the all present just don't frustrate the player doesn't do anything for them.
Fargo:
"If you look at Dark Souls this is clear evidence that the player should not be treated like a baby.What I liked on the LOTR movies was the fact that they did not care if have seen the previous part.But I was right in.We believe that our players want a challenge , and that's what they are getting."
One of the elements is limited Ammo availability and having the right weapon for the right situation and having someone that is able to use it.
If we meet for example mutated giant maggot there want be a problem killing them with handguns,however if the entire team consists of energy weapons then we have a problem
Energy weapons damage is based on the opponents armor so the more metal and junk the armor has the damage is higher.
The maggot has no metal parts.
A character specialized in a certain weapon is either a hero or completely useless.
The perception skill enables ambushing from safe positions because it enables preparation.
The combat system reminds of XCOM and Jagged Alliance, permanent death of companions is possible .
Aiming problems and party members accidentally shooting at you instead at a deathclaw.
The additional companions or better said 3 other NPC's are having their own goals, so it may happen that the nice guy with assault rifle skill steals from our backpack.
So will you let him steal or shoot him? The control over NPC's is limited but that's intended, depending on their personality they may waste ammo or enter fights without a plan, so this puts us in front of choice if we want a really funny companion or just a really useful one.
Followers are important in dialog, to enable reactions from other NPC'S .
Keenan:
"We re checking the party charisma, the relationships between man and women, if a certain NPC is there, the skill choices."
There is a retail version planned by Koch Media as a international distributor.
If we sell 200 000 -300 000 copies world wide we will be fine said Fargo.

weresheeple

Educated
That translation is quite loose, though. Well, I guess it will more than suffice but the original has more nuances. My slow and probably cringe-worthy attempt of the Mannerites description:

The Mannerites
A good upbringing is the basis of a proper civilization. Or so thinks Mr. Manners, the charismatic Führer of the Mannerites (loosely translated as The Well-Mannered Ones). Accordingly, their members value politeness, correct table manners and good wives, i.e. wives who are absolutely submissive to their husbands. They are also cannibals - though very tactful ones. It does make the Mannerites lose their calm though when someone breaches the etiquette, like when someone leaves the house without notifying their husband of when they will be back. In such cases, the aristocratic gentlemen are prone to send out their political correctness patrols to end such frivolities... and enjoy a good dinner, to a decantered glas of red wine, of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Energy weapons are already there from the begging example Ionbeamer or laser pistols.
If we meet for example mutated giant maggot there want be a problem killing them with handguns,however if the entire team consists of energy weapons then we have a problem
Energy weapons damage is based on the opponents armor so the more metal and junk the armor has the damage is higher.
A character specialized in a certain weapon is either a hero or completely useless.

Problem, energy weapon supremacists? :cool:

I didn't post the emoticons there , not sure how to avoid them.

Always put a space between : and M, and between : and P

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
"I believe that some people will be surprised how large the game really became and how many nuances it has.I never made a more extensive game"
Fargo and Keenan promised 12-15 major hubs , rich areas and different smaller maps, the summary at release will be between 40-50 maps. In comparison Fallout 2 the world map has 23 places.
The fear of some that 15 months is not enough is not shared by Fargo: ''We are more afraid that the game will be to large."
The main story is 20 hours, add to that side quests , alternative solutions, "impossible to see everything in one play trough.."

Wow that's cool.

Dantus12

Educated

Problem, energy weapon supremacists? :cool:

I didn't post the emoticons there , not sure how to avoid them.

Always put a space between : and M, and between : and P

Having a stupid and still trying , the word was Model so lets see .

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Wow that's cool.

Hopefully those hubs won't be watered down in terms of content, i think they are being very ambitious for such a tight development timetable. I prefer they keep pushing back the release date and get it all in there for amazing release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The content is already complete so more time won't help anything for anything except polish and lack of bugs. This ain't like AoD where Vault Dweller keeps adding in new shit.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The content is already complete so more time won't help anything for anything except polish and lack of bugs. This ain't like AoD where Vault Dweller keeps adding in new shit.

That's good news, wasn't aware that they had everything in game and were just polishing the various game elements for release.

Also, don't mind Infinitron VD, AoD is awesome and only becomes more so as you add shit, remove shit, then add it again. I trust the process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom