Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPG should I play through next?

KidBoogie

Learned
my fav orite rpgs are:

*1) Oblivion
*2) FAllout 3 (new vegas was too happy for me)
*3) Dragonball Z Legaccy of Goku 2
*4) Balders Gate
*5)Star wars battlefront 2

What do u guys recomend?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
sum u mait leik:
1 mass effuct 1+2+3
2 drgaon ages 1+2
3 alpha brotokol
4 teh jade emprah
5 nevawintar naigths 2

go crazy bro!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think if you can put 60 hours in Reckoning on a console you could probably play damn near anything.

Ebonsword

Arcane

Dantus12

Educated
Two Worlds 2- somewhat painful, nice exploration, first had a weird armor stacking system was a very bug ridden product at release still good.
Divinity 2- great at everything IMO

Risen - clumsy combat, great everything
Alpha Protocol - choice and consequences, bad combat
Dragon Age Origins - interesting characters , bad combat fun to steamroll over everything as a mage with a limited party.
Witcher 1 everyone claims it has shit combat, still a fantastic game.
Witcher 2 better combat, a improvement in story telling but clearly both games are a storyfags wet dream

nomask7

Arcane
Two Worlds on PC is by far one of the best action RPGs, at least if you make it run a bit faster to make evasion more difficult. Great game, either way.

Amalur I found complete crap, the little I could tolerate it.

Two Worlds sounds kind of interesting. Should I get the normal game or go with this "Epic Edition" that I see at amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Worlds-Epic-Edition-Pc/dp/B001C6Q8QG/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

The epic edition is patched to the latest version, so get that unless you want to download a huge patch. There's no other difference in single player, and the multiplayer seems like shit.

nomask7

Arcane
Two Worlds 2- somewhat painful, nice exploration, first had a weird armor stacking system was a very bug ridden product at release still good.

Two Worlds 2 was made for consoles, and it shows, for example in the vastly decreased amount of monsters, a less open world, and a lengthy shitty unskippable tutorial. Haven't played it much though. Maybe it's OK.

Dantus12

Educated

Two Worlds 2 was made for consoles, and it shows, for example in the vastly decreased amount of monsters, a less open world, and a lengthy shitty unskippable tutorial. Haven't played it much though. Maybe it's OK.

That's true, mapping a bazillion tasks to one key is another thing, but it was kinda OK in a Bethesda exploration way, half way into the game exploration loses it's purpose.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sorry Admiral. Please don't demote me for my foolishness, sir.

To be more helpful, I could recommend something to play, altough it's not an rpg, I very much recommend every gamer play The Stanley Parable. It IS relevant to rpg's and I think it would be known on the codex more if the thread didn't get bured after just 5 or so replies. It shows the stupidity with which modern rpg's handle choices. It's basically the perfect critique of bioware games.

So, what would my fellow Codexians recommend?

Dark Souls is writing-wise Torment of action RPGs. A must-play for at least seven two times, with analysis of its' hints and minimalistic writing to understand what is really going on.

Should I give Skyrim a shot or pick up something else?

Play it with mods. /thread

Longer explanation: Although it's casual-friendly it's in some aspects a a good Elder Scrolls game. A few points in no particular order:

1) "Mods have fixed it". There is really no reason to play this game vanilla, it's a gameplay and combat-oriented game and mods improve this aspect mindblowingly. The most notable ones include "overhauls" like Skyrim Redone. Check out the descriptions on Skyrim section of Nexus, a website dedicated to mods, and Codex's thread about it here.

2) The game does acknowledge and adheres to TES' definitely most interesting aspect, that is, Kirkbride's lore and semi-canon writings regarding metaphysics of TES. If you are not familiar with this concept do become so immidiately (this one is a good read to begin with). Without giving any spoilers, it plays a huge role in main quest and player's character, and overall Skyrim respects the TES lore much more than Oblivion.

After beating the game you can check out official TES forum's Lore subforum for a nice mindfuck.

3) Factions. The Civil War sucks gameplay-wise, unless you will install the "Civil War Overhaul" technical wonder of a mod, but the backstory is an interesting concept of TES' own Israel vs. Palestine, or maybe rather European Union vs. Eurosceptics. There is the uprising of nationalistic Stormcloaks supported in the conservative Old Holds, which is half of the country, fighting the authorities of a recently weakened and troubled Empire.

The world is less like Oblivion's happy-go-lucky multiculturalism, and more like tense situation of Morrowind, with the decentralized Nordic majority and interesting minorities with reasons for their existence, including nazis, ghetto Jews and terrorists.

4) Dragonborn DLC. It is a tribute to Morrowind, set on Bloodmoon's Solstheim. If you loved Morrowind, you'll definitely enjoy what this DLC does. It wraps up a lot of loose ends regarding Morrowind's status in the Fourth Era and generally plays on the fuzzy Morrowind nostalgia note.

One of the highlights is Daedric Lord Hermaeus Mora and his realm of Apocrypha, an interesting tribute to "The Doors of Oblivion" book from previous games. A nice little touch is the every single book present in-game can be randomly found in it, giving a great read to the player if you're into that sort of thing, and you should be.

Also Telvanni Master Neloth is the best written NPC in Skyrim.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1) Yes, mods can rescue the combat, the stats and skills maybe too. But the content is just shit. A mountain of shit, and you don't thank your dealer for giving you a thousand kilo's of flour. So you got nice gameplay but nothing to do with it but waste time.

2&3) Like Eric said way better than I can, it's nice that it gets the basics right but it doesn't do anything with it.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Eric...and_Choices_in_Skyrim_All_Setup_No_Payoff.php
Not just moral ambiguity but the content is a shack that gets blown over by the wind despite the concrete foundation. You gotta be a real shitty house builder to build something like that.

4) Eh, more skyrim dressed in morrowind.

I don't hate skyrim, like most Bethesda games I like the art and it gives me at least a few dozen hours of tolerable game time. Maybe skyrim can be the stepping stone Beth needs to use too drag themselves back up. I don't believe in miracles though.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Default Skyrim combat is fun with bows, in my experience. Like every TES game the melee stuff is shit.

Two Worlds 2 is fun with magic, has a nice unique system, and if you like snarky PCs.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
What the fuck is this shit! Get the fuck outta here

Don't come back until you've gone through Wizardry IV, you cretinous mongrel

Suchy

Arcane
Modern action RPG... I'd recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it's actually pretty decent, and definitely a better choice than Mass Effect games

Servo

Arcane
1. Stop what you doing now
2. Go back to moment in history where you said

Oh, and I should mention that I tried playing both Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles earlier this year, and neither really clicked for me (Demon's Souls just didn't feel very fun and I kind of hated the real-time-meets-turn-based combat system in Valkyria Chronicles).

undo that moment
3. Learn to like Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles
4. Keep playing those two great games forever

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom