Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Witcher 3 "Killing Monsters" trailer (CD Projekt cannot into countdowns)

Murk

Arcane
Give me the exploration and a non shit combat system and I will give you my potato. It is a fair trade, a traditional trade.

Fun Fact: I still haven't played Witcher 2 for lack of a PC that can run it. Am I oldschool yet bros?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The trailer could've easily been made more in line with the story's central themes:

1. Draw out the part when Geralt finishes his narration, and he and Vesemir ride away, and subtly suggest that despite having declared he'd rather remain neutral, he's still hesitating, thus reinforcing Infinitron's interpretation. This contradiction really does lie at the core of Geralt's character, and is therefore a good thing to include in a trailer.

2. Have the woman start looting the corpses as Geralt and Vesemir leave. This suggest that she could really be guilty of what she was accused of, and provides a measure of moral ambiguity that the trailer severely lacks. Also hints at the ultimate futility of saving a single person in a war that is likely claiming tens of thousands, which is another idea continuously brought up in the Witcher books.

Also, I can kind of understand the Assassin's Creed comparison. The fight just seemed a bit too clean and tightly choreographed. Sure, Witchers are basically medieval Jedi, but it seemed out of place in such a grimy, dirty setting. This kind of choreography also invariably results in a definite lack of momentum and impact to the attacks. Show us some teeth cracking, bones breaking, daggers ripping flesh as they're pulled out of wounds. You know, actual combat, and not some kind of Tai Chi inspired fantasy about ninjas.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also, I can kind of understand the Assassin's Creed comparison. The fight just seemed a bit too clean and tightly choreographed. Sure, Witchers are basically medieval Jedi, but it seemed out of place in such a grimy, dirty setting. This kind of choreography also invariably results in a definite lack of momentum and impact to the attacks. Show us some teeth cracking, bones breaking, daggers ripping flesh as they're pulled out of wounds. You know, actual combat, and not some kind of Tai Chi inspired fantasy about ninjas.

Hmm, I can sympathise with that view, though I really think we're debating details here.

Septaryeth

Augur
The trailer could've easily been made more in line with the story's central themes:
2. Have the woman start looting the corpses as Geralt and Vesemir leave. This suggest that she could really be guilty of what she was accused of, and provides a measure of moral ambiguity that the trailer severely lacks. Also hints at the ultimate futility of saving a single person in a war that is likely claiming tens of thousands, which is another idea continuously brought up in the Witcher books.

This idea sounds way better.
Appeal to people who only want to see the actions, as well as portraying deeper themes to people who want to see more story.

For the life of me I don't understand these high budget CGI trailers. They reveal nothing of the game and cost a fucking fortune. Use gameplay footage and spend your money on the damn games development.

Take a look at the best rated comment, it's pretty representative of the current state of the industry.

bsv805

I haven't played part 1 or 2, but I will buy the shit out of this game just for that cinematic.
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Don't think the trailer paints him as a white knight, he didn't even break a sweat. It was harder for him to ignore the situation than to beat them up. It seems the focus of the trailer wasn't on the ambiguity of the situation, but on Geralt's difficulty in dealing with the whole neutrality thing.

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
OK so the girl is supposed to be a cannibal. Hmm, yeah, I'll take your word for it, russkies!
Hey, she had a fair trial. She was duly sentenced and taken to be executed. Russky read her charges to her "murder of wounded, looting, cannibalism - sentenced to death by hanging or torment". And they carried out their sentence.

This is three blokes trying to do a good day's work to earn a living and they just get slaughtered by some random prick because he's a better swordsman and the women is attractive.

Where's the justice in that? Supposedly she's poor and desperate, just tyring to make a living. But then you're saying it's ok for a woman to kill, steal and eat human flesh if she's poor and desperate - but it's not ok for men to take a decent, honest job because they're poor and desperate too.

All this video does is reinforce sexist cultural stereotypes that men are evil and attractive women are innocent "damsel's in distress" that need to saved by sword wielding heroes.

Anita Sarkeesian would be most upset.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I liked the trailer, until the SUPER-COOL-AWESOME fighting scene. Meh. :|

made

Arcane
For the life of me I don't understand these high budget CGI trailers. They reveal nothing of the game and cost a fucking fortune. Use gameplay footage and spend your money on the damn games development.
Do you think they made it just for this occasion, never to be used again? It's an intro/cutscene cinematic that Platige are producing for the game, which is good to know because the original TW2 cinematics sucked. On the other hand filming and arranging gameplay footage actually takes resources away from game development.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought that was a pretty badass trailer, as far as CGI trailers go - would prefer actual gameplay, though.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I liked the trailer, until the SUPER-COOL-AWESOME fighting scene. Meh. :|

The games contain super-cool-awesome combat so at least it's honest. Not sure what you guys were expecting.

I wasn't expecting particulary anything from the game itself (Doing so before actually testing it out in some form would be idiocity at this age), I was merely commentating on the presentation. :P

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
OK so the girl is supposed to be a cannibal. Hmm, yeah, I'll take your word for it, russkies!
Hey, she had a fair trial. She was duly sentenced and taken to be executed. Russky read her charges to her "murder of wounded, looting, cannibalism - sentenced to death by hanging or torment". And they carried out their sentence.

This is three blokes trying to do a good day's work to earn a living and they just get slaughtered by some random prick because he's a better swordsman and the women is attractive.

Where's the justice in that? Supposedly she's poor and desperate, just tyring to make a living. But then you're saying it's ok for a woman to kill, steal and eat human flesh if she's poor and desperate - but it's not ok for men to take a decent, honest job because they're poor and desperate too.

All this video does is reinforce sexist cultural stereotypes that men are evil and attractive women are innocent "damsel's in distress" that need to saved by sword wielding heroes.

I agree with that. I mean, by medieval and even TWitcher (novels) standards these guys are on the level. That sergeant dude actually bothers to read the sentence, the blokes are not raping the woman, or anything - they try to execute justic and instill order in a war-torn region. Granted, they might be doing that for all the wrong reasons, but they do lack the sadistic glee about them which reflects positively upon them. I could understand the disdain the protagonist feels, but not what pushed him to murdering "honest" soldiers. That's why I said this scene is over the top and sensationalist nonsense - it takes the situation out of context and puts contemporary tropes ("oh a poor, attractive woman, abused by gruff blokes with the looks of russkie peasants") so that trailer has clear, relatable but ultimately shallow message behind it.

Or maybe the point could be that Geralt simply didn't give a flying fuck about how true those accusations were and if she was innocent, because regardless of that the brutality of those men was pretty much an injustice in itself.

How much money do you think they spent on that video?
It's from Platige Image, a polish studio, so probably a fifth of what it would cost if it was created by the american Blur Studio.
On the other hand, a Blur Studios production would probably look even better.

MasPingon

Arcane

This idea sounds way better.
Appeal to people who only want to see the actions, as well as portraying deeper themes to people who want to see more story.

All you want to is to simplify it, leaving no space for supposition. It's funny you define it as "portraying deeper themes". :patriot:

Or maybe the point could be that Geralt simply didn't give a flying fuck about how true those accusations were and if she was innocent, because regardless of that the brutality of those men was pretty much an injustice in itself.
Being rude (to a presumably cannibalistic serial murderer) is a capital offense now? :retarded:

That said, let's look at the situation from a different perspective: it's a war-torn territory in the middle of winter. Regardless of how the occupational forces uphold the[ir own] law, they inevitably take what they want from the locals, likely leaving the latter to starve. Would I blame someone for killing wounded enemy soldiers and eating them when that's all you can do to survive? No.

But the fact still is, Geralt knows nothing of the situation, yet charges in and kills people because tits.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Take a look at the best rated comment, it's pretty representative of the current state of the industry.

for more entertainment, Google Translate the second-top-rated comment from Polish (even if you speak Polish) and relish Google's embrace of that use of the word "dope"

Dantus12

Educated

I agree with that. I mean, by medieval and even TWitcher (novels) standards these guys are on the level. That sergeant dude actually bothers to read the sentence, the blokes are not raping the woman, or anything - they try to execute justic and instill order in a war-torn region. Granted, they might be doing that for all the wrong reasons, but they do lack the sadistic glee about them which reflects positively upon them. I could understand the disdain the protagonist feels, but not what pushed him to murdering "honest" soldiers. That's why I said this scene is over the top and sensationalist nonsense - it takes the situation out of context and puts contemporary tropes ("oh a poor, attractive woman, abused by gruff blokes with the looks of russkie peasants") so that trailer has clear, relatable but ultimately shallow message behind it.

You mean Nilfgaardian justice? The justice of something that made more problems for Geralt and those he loves than all Northern Kingdoms combined.
Geralt of the books has impulses, I cant see any sensationalism and damsel in distress, in the books he reacts to a raped lass, despite claiming to never meddle, because he sees Ciri in her, he rescues Anguleme because she reminds him of Ciri, the Witcher2 showes teh "badass" Nilfgaardians down the players throat, and a very non-responsive Geralt that often doesn't question anything, ponder the idiocy of "Conspiracy Theory," in Witcher 2.
This is so back to the books that it's great. Raping the lore for the sake of user-oriented writing is a one way ticket to BiowEAr.

--------------------------------

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
seriously, though, why are choices always described instead of "moral." I make moral choices every day that aren't particularly taxing (don't pirate don't pirate don't pirate if I chant it long enough maybe the need will go away), and most of the hard decisions I've had to make in life had to do with getting up in the morning, staying sober at night and using condoms, none of which falls anywhere I've ever heard considered on anybody's moral axis. why is it heroes protagonists can't also be confronted with hard decisions that aren't founded on the notions of right and wrong behavior but instead on, you know, hard tactical decisions, personal sacrifice, decisions between two friends, fucking anything but "who is good and who is bad."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You mean Nilfgaardian justice? The justice of something that made more problems for Geralt and those he loves than all Northern Kingdoms combined.
Geralt of the books has impulses, I cant see any sensationalism and damsel in distress, in the books he reacts to a raped lass, despite claiming to never meddle, because he sees Ciri in her, he rescues Anguleme because she reminds him of Ciri, the Witcher2 showes teh "badass" Nilfgaardians down the players throat, and a very non-responsive Geralt that often doesn't question anything, ponder the idiocy of "Conspiracy Theory," in Witcher 2.
This is so back to the books that it's great. Raping the lore for the sake of user-oriented writing is a one way ticket to BiowEAr.

--------------------------------
:troll:
Who cares about your shitty books?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Raping the lore

People who accuse anything of "raping the lore" in any derivative works - be it films or games - are idiots. As long as the work can stand on its own, who cares if it aligns 1:1 with its foundation?

The point is that this trailer sucks when it stands on its own, not that it doesn't live up to some arbitrary technical/content standards set by the books.

Rake

Arcane
:troll:
Who cares about your shitty books?

I'm not a Witcher fanboy by any stretch of the word, but the shitty books are way better from the shitty games.

They lack the shitty gameplay getting in the way of my story

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom