Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Food consumption doubles in the winter, water is the thing that never seems to be an issue.

Go through winter and please give us your feedback.

I did experiment with the max fill already selected but it caused some confusion with the explanation text. Which I suppose inst a big deal. I think I wanted you to feel a little more involved in the process.

Thanks,
Chad

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've not had any great trouble during winter. I'm at spring now and the only issue I had was about two days or starving and thirst. I am probably investing a lot on supplies though.

oscar

Arcane
The one time I did run out of food (and perhaps water I can't remember) was due to some blizzard storm event in winter.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I can tell you this: If you do happen to run out of food in the middle of winter, it can be a real pain. It happened to me. Couldn't find anything to hunt, the party was moving very slowly and had a long way to go to the next destination. Morales started to drop like crazy. Didn't think I was going to make it to the next town to restock.

Only happened because I didn't know that the amount of food that I had wasn't going to be enough for the trip, as it wasn't winter when I set out. Won't make that mistake again.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't have a good excuse for either of those things. I do most of the creative direction and design, but it becomes final with Chad. I give him art, and lay out my vision for the game design. For this game, we brought on writers, and they chime in now too with some decisions. Chad decides the most economical way to implement the ideas, and ultimately gives you the final cut.
I wanted a fill all option for water, and longer healing in camp, so you were more likely to run out of food. I can't speak for Chad, and I don't remember why he never implemented the fill all button. I remember everyone liking it.
The longer heal times was probably ignored for too long, and would have required too much time to rebalance resources by the time he got around to implementing it. There are random events were some of your food gets spoiled if you have over 100 rations though. In the future, I will push this issue, maybe in the following ways.
1. Thieves steal food if your scouting check is not passed.
2. You have to avoid a natural disaster.
3. A disease outbreak, and have to take a longer route to your destination.
4. Longer heal times.
5. More spoiled food events.
6. Famines, our a poor harvest in villages, causing them to raise prices.
As I mentioned, I have not taken any particularly long trip, so it might be that excess food balances itself out in the long term. I've been moving with 100+ food for a while now, and never encountered the event where they spoil. Do you think it'll be possible to station a watch while camping for some bonus to scouting and a penalty to scouting otherwise?

Have you gone through a Winter season yet? Food seems to be depleted faster and there is fewer game animals around to hunt. I always found that Spring and Summer provided more than enough food but did, at times, run low during Winter.

*edit* @Little Killerz beat me to it. :oops:

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
The spoilage event may be triggering at too low of a priority. It would also be helpful if it scaled by how many party members you have. For example, 2 party members can carry 40 food without a chance of spoilage, while 4 party members could carry 80, and 6 could carry 120.
In the next episode, runing out of water will be more of an issue. In this game, it was meant to cause more weight issues. Canteens filled with water would be heavy, so it might make sense to take less water and boil river or rain water as you need it. This would also require some balancing adjustments, and I wouldn't want people to be spending a ton of time managing inventory. I've abandoned games for that reason.
-Jon

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Jon we can make those changes now. Any changes to one episode will affect the other. FYI I'm in the alps ;-)

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Jon was really just stepping for me while I was gone. But I'm back now. Anyone have any new game play experiences to talk about?

Chad

KithKanan

Novice
Jon was really just stepping for me while I was gone. But I'm back now. Anyone have any new game play experiences to talk about?

Chad

Is there any way you can make it a little clearer to the player at what points you're saving the game during the endgame? I was somewhat terrified to put the game down because I kept being railroaded from town battle to town battle with no way to stop in the towns and be sure I'd saved and it was a bit nerve-wracking.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi KithKanan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do this for you on my next update.

Thanks,
Chad

KithKanan

Novice
Great! I really liked the game aside from that one bit of discomfort, and I'm looking forward to playing any future sequels/expansions. :D

Alchemist

Arcane
I played around with BlueStacks on Windows a while back. I think I was even able to load Google Play apps I owned on there - so it might even be possible to play the game with that even now.

Alchemist

Arcane
Hmm well I just tried this out and it might not be workable since BlueStacks uses an old version of Android (2.3.4). Illyria requires Android 4.0 and didn't show up in the market list. Maybe there is a way to hack Android 4 onto BluesStacks though - I dunno.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Crud! They will support 4.0 soon enough. With that said the game runs in 2.0 just fine, we just went 4.0 because we wanted to avoid memory issues with some devices.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I thought the game was written in Java. Doesn't that make the port easier? (Understand, though, I don't know what other tools were used to make it).

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
ProphetSword

It is written in Java but it has a lot of Android specific code in it. So there is much that would need to be changed. Graphics displaying, Graphics manipulation, Text display, Sound effects & music, App life cycle, Networking etc...

Chad

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I can understand why it would be a real problem, then. Didn't realize it was built specifically for Android. When you were originally talking about doing a PC version, I just assumed that you kept the code capable of making such a transition. Hopefully a solution works out for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom