Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Even if I hate Biowhore, I cannot deny that it looks good. But seeing those characters ... meh.

Edit: They copied Dark Souls and God of War. Or is just my impression? (video: 1:35)

Edit2: The first dragon fight is straight out of Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Last edited:

imweasel

I don't really know what to think about the gameplay and can't come to a final verdict because they didn't show much, but I am not all too impressed. It seems to have more action than even DA2. +M

Level design is great, no idea how good the narrative is, consolized inventory is absolute shit, button mashing action is bad (hopefully nightmare difficulty makes it useless), tactical combat looks decent, no level scaling is excellent, no auto healing and scarce healing potions is excellent, xp for combat is excellent...

Hmmm, this game already has more incline than P:E (even with the shit). How ironic. :lol:

The game is certainly very beautiful thanks to Frostbite 3.
Err, having better graphics than DA:O and DA2 doesn't mean it's beautiful. And their artstyle got progressively worse. If DA:O was simply bland, and biggest offenders were mages' hats, WoW pauldrons and decolletaged leather armor for females, DA:2 went full retard with almost all armor and clothing. And now we got this:
I don't really like the artisitic style myself, although it is a step up from DA2. But the graphics are very beautiful, it looks amazing actually.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Biowhores made a win-win decision - the game is already better than DA2. People will forget that everything is better than DA2 and will praise it as a GREAT EMPROOVMNT!!! But it'll come at the same with as PE, Torment and Witcher 3. So it'll be inevitably compared to them and have to struggle against Torment and PE story and party management\control, Witcher 3 graphics+open world and Dark Souls 2 combat. BW will grab their cash and I suppose the game will be a somehow decent spopamole slasher - you can't lose with such graphics with CoD crowd and retardo fanbase, but in terms of gameplay it could and most probably would be surpassed by competitors..

Few outside sites like this one will notice Torment and P:E.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Judging from the videos, it doesn't look very inspiring. Kinda like Two Worlds meets Witcher 2 meets Oblivion (perhaps even a bit of KoA) in a DA2 coat.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I love how different people can view the same video and then almost every one will factually claim that the game looks like or rips off a hundred different other games. L0L

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't know about ripping off, but different perceptions are lovable indeed. We wouldn't want to all be the same, now would we?

:troll:

random_encounter

Educated
At 1:55,

Even if I hate Biowhore, I cannot deny that it looks good. But seeing those characters ... meh.

Edit: They copied Dark Souls and God of War. Or is just my impression? (video: 1:35)

Edit2: The first dragon fight is straight out of Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Mortal Kombat at 1:55. "GET OVER HERE!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a Witcher 2 clone with a rudimentary party control interface attached, just like I said it would be.
What was it that was anything like how The Witcher 2 played?

That "rudimentary party control interface" is how console players have been playing Dragon Age since Origins.

Renderer?

l fucking o fucking l

It has nothing to do with rendering and everything to do with laziness and poor art quality.
Poor art quality of a color? :roll:

So I guess it's just a coincidence that the move to Frostbite made them suddenly not-lazy when it comes to this issue.
http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/46869411797/re-dear-mr-gaider
That’s due in part to the areas we’ve visited so far, in part to the Eclipse engine and its frustrating handling of darker skin tones (now thankfully a thing of the past)
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/14617823/4
Mary Kirby said:
I don't know why black/dark skin looked so wrong in Dragon Age, when the same intended skin tone looks completely normal in Mass Effect.
Because they had completely different engines. Dragon Age was made with Eclipse, and Mass Effect with Unreal. The Eclipse engine couldn't render dark skin very well. The darker the skin, the more it started to look like an overcompressed jpeg with jagged, pixelated lines where gradations of color occurred. We are hopeful that we can have a much wider range of skin colors (particularly darker ones) in Inquisition thanks to Frostbite.

I guess they're both lying and it's a huge conspiracy. Certainly.

Laidlaw never played Torment in his life. His favourite game is Devil May Cry 4.
http://social.bioware.com/ http:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/315/index/7484603/3#7488931
Mike Laidlaw said:
Woah woah woahhhh there.

I will not have my love of RPGs called into question without retort. As I type this I am looking at my displayed original boxes of Wasteland, Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7 and the original Phantasie for the C64.

I like RPGs. I like them a lot. So much so that I will fight tooth and nail to keep party-based mechanics and gameplay viable in todays market, when it would have been infinitely easier for me to move Dragon Age to a single-character RPG or action game.

Now, as to this thread, which I find illuminating, let me quite clear: I am absolutely, positively, all about expanding the audience for party-based RPGs. I am shameless in wanting the entire planet to enjoy a genre I am passionate about. It is not an easy task, and I do not think we made a perfect move to do so in DAII; I have said as much already.

Dat lack of impact on melee attacks
Good thing this is a RPG and not an action game. :M

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Dat lack of impact on melee attacks
Good thing this is a RPG and not an action game. :M
What difference does it make? It looks stupid as hell either way. Quality Bioware animations taking us to the next gen

hJlc3.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What difference does it make? It looks stupid as hell either way. Quality Bioware animations taking us to the next gen.
Quality animations are more important when it comes to the quality of action gameplay. Though over 10 million people didn't give a damn when it came to Skyrim. Cause of the arpeegness no doubt.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What difference does it make? It looks stupid as hell either way. Quality Bioware animations taking us to the next gen.
Quality animations are more important when it comes to the quality of action gameplay. Though over 10 million people didn't give a damn when it came to Skyrim. Cause of the arpeegness no doubt.
More like people are used to bethesda animations being lazy. Skyrim was their first game where the characters didn't just moonwalk around while moving in a diagonal direction

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
More like people are used to bethesda animations being terrible. Skyrim was their first game where the characters didn't just moonwalk around while moving in a diagonal direction
No Bethesda game had ever sold over 10 million copies before, they got a lot of new people.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
they got a lot of new people.

Actually, with the way the console market works (used games), you can't be sure how many people really played Oblivion.

People play used copy of Oblivion sometime between 2006 and 2011, like it, buy a new copy of the sequel. I'm sure many franchises have slowly built up their buyer base this way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Almost every single one of their main games were GOTY, it's not like TES got big with Skyrim
It got bigger. Skyrim was $60 retail for over a year. That doesn't happen without consistent sales to justify that price without marking it down.

Stabwound

Arcane
Oblivion was very popular, but without even looking at sales figures, you can almost guarantee that Skyrim is insanely popular compared to even Oblivion. You know you have a slam dunk when even teen girls play and get involved in the community of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom