Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Garm

Learned
In many places gambling winnings are not taxed. Stock profits are taxed, but at a lower rate than income.

A salary cap would need to be based on a multiple of the lowest-paid employee, or else you just create an incentive to vastly inflate the salaries of more people at the top.

The only solution I see is a flat-tax system. No giant tax code, no loopholes, no tax credits. Everyone pays a flat percentage on their first $100,000 and a flat percentage on the amount after that.

Flat-tax would be even worse for the poor and middle classes.

J1M

Arcane
In many places gambling winnings are not taxed. Stock profits are taxed, but at a lower rate than income.

A salary cap would need to be based on a multiple of the lowest-paid employee, or else you just create an incentive to vastly inflate the salaries of more people at the top.

The only solution I see is a flat-tax system. No giant tax code, no loopholes, no tax credits. Everyone pays a flat percentage on their first $100,000 and a flat percentage on the amount after that.

Flat-tax would be even worse for the poor and middle classes.
:retarded:

You do realize that the tax rate wouldn't need to be 40% if everyone actually paid taxes?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
On paper the wealthy pay the vast majority of taxes collected (something like 70%-80%) in terms of total dollar amount, and they also pay a much higher percentage in tax overall than middle- and lower-class households do. Of course, most of them also squirrel away huge portions of their total wealth in overseas tax shelters, take advantage of various legal loopholes, break the law and get away with it, and benefit far more from deductions and write-offs than do the middle and lower classes. The net effect is that they're actually paying about the same percentage tax on their income/holdings as are the middle and lower classes—and possibly less. If they paid taxes on all of their wealth, there'd be significantly more tax revenue to work with.

That's not the only issue, either. There's also the fact that tax revenue is misspent, overspent (e.g. a government organization purposely overspending to ensure they aren't downsized), misallocated, lost to corruption and graft, lost due to inefficiency/incompetence, and so on.

These are normal problems facing a large, aging empire numbering hundreds of millions of people, and they will probably never improve outside of short-term peaks and valleys. Wealth inequality, crumbling infrastructure, and government corruption and inefficiency will continue to worsen until some unforeseen breaking point.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You do realize that the tax rate wouldn't need to be 40% if everyone actually paid taxes?
You could still have a progressive tax rate without loopholes. In fact you even suggested it yourself with a higher rate on money earned over 100k.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Except the data on percent of the bill payed vs precent of income earned is based on taxes that WERE collected.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

What I'm saying is that of the grand total of federal, state, and local taxes collected across the United States, 70-80% is collected from the wealthy—which is actually low, given that the wealthiest 20% control 85% of the wealth. You'd think that that portion of people who control 85% of the wealth would be kicking in right around 85% of the taxes, but they aren't. The bottom 80% are picking up their slack. And really, "wealthy people" includes more than just the top 20%; the cutoff for being considered "wealthy" is somewhere between the top 20-30%.

So the slack being picked up is to the tune of 10-20%, not paid by the wealthy and paid by the bottom 70-80% instead. Why? All the tax-dodging methods I mentioned a few posts back.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Income != wealth

Also, I doubt income actually equals wealth gained in a year. They're probably manipulating language so that capital gains are not income and various other things.

J1M

Arcane

You could still have a progressive tax rate without loopholes. In fact you even suggested it yourself with a higher rate on money earned over 100k.
I don't see how these two statements are related.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Sweet the EA thread has been turned into a politik circle jerk. Hopefully get the thread on track with more good news that EA is promoting top talent in the company and creating efficiency in EA owned studios.

Bromberg — who joined EA in 2012, previously CEO and president of Major League Gaming — will remain head of BioWare Austin, while Jeff Hickman will become the new general manager of the studio. With his new role, Bromberg will take on BioWare Canada in Edmonton and Montreal, headed by Aaryn Flynn. He will also oversee the LA-based Victory studio and Redwood City-located Waystone Studio, both Californian studios fronted by Jon Van Caneghem. All studio heads will report to Bromberg.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/9/4713640/ea-appoints-matthew-bromberg-head-of-bioware-label

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
*please ignore common sense middleground.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a reasoned, balanced approach is better than extremism. The trouble is that economics is a polarizing issue, while human beings are short-sighted and selfish even unto their own detriment. Here's an analogy: On the Internet, very often the webpage of some product or service will offer a widget that lets you rate the item from 1-5 stars. In order to lend their opinions as much weight as possible, those who dislike that product or service very often choose 1 star, while those who like it give it 5 stars. They want to see (or imagine they see) that rating move forward or backward in the direction they prefer. They also want to "counteract" those with whom they disagree.

It's much same situation when it comes to economics. The poor want all-encompassing financial assistance and immense taxation of the wealthy, while the wealthy want unbridled capitalism and free reign to shit all over the less fortunate and call them lazy. If anyone chooses a moderate stance, they feel their opinion carries less weight... which is true from a narrow-minded, short-term perspective, but harms absolutely everyone and impedes positive change and progress.

Considering that we're all essentially a bunch of apes, some of whom actually possess less raw intelligence in numerous aptitudes than a dolphin, octopus, or crow, we do pretty well.

Dr Tomo

Learned
creating efficiency in EA owned studios.

I'm norrmally the first to say the AAA publishers need to be more efficient, but when EA says it, I can only imagine how horrible it will be.

They going to give the middle managers whips?

Even better, give a individual experience running e-sports management of all EA run studios and call the shots of what the studio heads are allowed to do.

I'm norrmally the first to say the AAA publishers need to be more efficient, but when EA says it, I can only imagine how horrible it will be.

Even better, give a individual experience running e-sports management of all EA run studios and call the shots of what the studio heads are allowed to do.
their aim si profit rigt? Is EA seriously this retarded?

Garm

Learned

So you expect people below the poverty threshold to pay taxes? I really don't get why people have such a problem with the idea that people who make more should pay more. The wealthy owe a tremendous amount of their success to various government programs due to R+D. More tax money means more government funded research which means more new technology for businesses to take advantage of later. Plus you can use to fund things like higher education which leads to a more skilled workforce. There are numerous programs out there that generate or save over two or three times as much as is spent on them. A progressive tax system is key to producing a great nation.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted

J1M

Arcane

So you expect people below the poverty threshold to pay taxes? I really don't get why people have such a problem with the idea that people who make more should pay more. The wealthy owe a tremendous amount of their success to various government programs due to R+D. More tax money means more government funded research which means more new technology for businesses to take advantage of later. Plus you can use to fund things like higher education which leads to a more skilled workforce. There are numerous programs out there that generate or save over two or three times as much as is spent on them. A progressive tax system is key to producing a great nation.
I am not against a progressive tax system. I am against a tax system that rewards those who know more of the rules. When I say a flat tax rate, I am referring to a tax system that lacks write-offs and tax credits. One where the top 1% cannot avoid paying taxes by 'donating' large amounts of money into political advocacy groups that spend that money to create more laws in their favor. Such a system essentially pays the rich to lobby.

Taxes should not be so complicated. Everyone should be able to do this calculation:
[Amount of money I gained this year from employment, interest, dividends, and capital gains] x [Tax rate (based on income bracket)] = [Taxes owed]

The norm of overpaying your taxes all year to eventually receive a tax return is retarded.

Dexter

Arcane
Companies paying taxes :lol:, where do you live son?
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-us-companies-paying-no-taxes-2013-03-26
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/apple-tax-havens_n_3378935.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2124998/

Garm

Learned

I am not against a progressive tax system. I am against a tax system that rewards those who know more of the rules. When I say a flat tax rate, I am referring to a tax system that lacks write-offs and tax credits. One where the top 1% cannot avoid paying taxes by 'donating' large amounts of money into political advocacy groups that spend that money to create more laws in their favor. Such a system essentially pays the rich to lobby.

Taxes should not be so complicated. Everyone should be able to do this calculation:
[Amount of money I gained this year from employment, interest, dividends, and capital gains] x [Tax rate (based on income bracket)] = [Taxes owed]

The norm of overpaying your taxes all year to eventually receive a tax return is retarded.

Ah. Well then we're on the same side of the issue. Since what you're advocating is just a progressive bracket without all the loopholes and other bullshit.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
A progressive tax system is better for GDP because those with less money spend a greater % of their wages. The faster money changes hands in a system the more shit it can sustainably produce. This is why the economy has a recession when money pools at the top end. Every dollar that isn't liquid is a dollar wasted when it comes to GDP.

Dr Tomo

Learned

their aim si profit rigt? Is EA seriously this retarded?

Not when we all know that MLG is super profitable thanks to this guy. Anyway consider this thread derailed into hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom