Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Dolphin (and other console) emulators...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I tried this yesterday briefly with Metroid Prime 2, and there's definitely improvements. No audio cracklings, and most importantly, the new OpenGL backend is really faster and hardly taxes my CPU/GPU anymore. I didn't hear the fans turn up even slightly while playing.

Rogue Leader still isn't working for me unfortunately.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Gamecube And Wii games I've played:

Eternal Darkness :5/5:
Silent Hill : Shattered Memories :3/5:
Xenoblade Chronicles :2/5: + 1/2

Gamecube and Wii games on my list :

Super Mario Sunshine
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Resident Evil
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes
Ikaruga
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower.

These are the only games that have piqued my interest.

Sunshine is shit, don't bother with it unless you really have no idea what to play and are bored out of your mind.

Add F-Zero GX unless you really hate (arcade) racing games. To say the story mode missions are challenging is an understatement. Regular Grand Prix mode is not as difficult but still quite the challenge on harder difficulty modes. Track design is top-notch. It plus the RE and Metroid Prime games is why the Gamecube was worth buying, even if you were forever alone with nobody to play manchild party games like Smash Bros. or Mario Kart with.

Rogue Squadron 2, don't bother without a gamepad with analogue sticks though (or if you expect a proper sim or if you hate star wars), unless you didn't mind playing the original on a keyboard. I have no idea how I got gold medals in all those missions with a keyboard in the PC version of the first game.

Also add both Viewtiful Joe games to the list unless you played the PS2 ports already. Really good shit.

Also play Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario Galaxy, unless waggle controls make the experience subpar on an emu.

Caim

Arcane
If you're going to emulate it, it's better to go with the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess than the Wii version. Less waggle.

Oh, and how long until Dolphin can emulate the Wii U?

Sunshine is shit, don't bother with it unless you really have no idea what to play and are bored out of your mind.

Pretty solid Super Mario incarnation, very underrated

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkachi 3 (Wii) - fighting game faithfull combat-wise to the anime which makes it unique, give it a go even if DB is for your painful to look at

Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2 (NGC) - much closer to classic fighting games' mechanics but still a good one

Both emulated with 100% accurancy, low system requirements

deuxhero

Arcane
Play Gotcha Force and Custom Robo. I can't stress this enough. Both are amazing and work perfectly in Dolphin (at least under directx11, Custom Robo apparently doesn't run under DX9 but that is labeled as depricated). Custom Robo even works under the widescreen hack without issue (a lot of games are playable with it, but have screwed up dialog, Custom Robo just has skewed portraits).

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Pretty solid Super Mario incarnation, very underrated

Short and the level design is very dull and repetitive, honestly compare the variety of levels in SM64 to this. Also the water cannon doesn't add that much to gameplay, should have been a power up rather than something the entire game tries to revolve around. Especially when the sections where you play without it feel just so much better than the rest of the game.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Is there a chance to make 30fps in core 2 duo?

Caim

Arcane
Is there a chance to make 30fps in core 2 duo?
'fraid not, bro. I got one myself and I can manage to run Twilight Princess at 20fps when I'm standing still and looking at something that is not graphically intensive. Wind Waker and Smash Bros Melee... well, it's not pretty.

Ivan

Arcane
Currently playing Galaxy. It's p. good. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I played it at the time it was released. Rayman Origins shits all over it.

On my list:
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)
Metroid Prime 1
Metroid Prime 2
V Joe 1
V Joe 2
Eternal Darkness
Mario Galaxy 2
Paper Mario 2
Res. Evil 0 (waiting to play Re 1 on pc)

Games I'm interested in but don't know how they perform on dolphin, confirmation welcome:
Killer 7

Perkel

Arcane
Wow seriously that programming chick that was added to dev site of Dolphin did some pretty fucking amazing job.

Just to compare: ]9my rig currently i53470 + HD6870)

Monster Hunter 3rd

Dolphin 4.0 (which is on site) -> 37FPS
Dolphin 4.0 (build 3610) -------> 89FPS

That is like 250% framerate increase

Rune Factory Frontier

Dolphin 4.0 (which is on site) -> 58FPS
Dolphin 4.0 (build 3610) -------> 83FPS

That is like good 30-40% framerate increase

When i get back to work i will try Last Story which i found unplayable with framerate constantly below needed FPS.
And that chick is like 3 months only on project. Probably by end of this year or sometimes next year all games on Wii will run with good framerate on i52500k.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
From what I remember TLS' problem was audio bottlenecking it somehow. At least when I tried it long ago.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok after my shortest work day ever (got fired) i tested Last Story and those are the results:

Dolphin 4.0 (which is on site) -> 20-27FPS in city
Dolphin 4.0 (build 3610) -------> 45-50FPS in city

That is like good 100% better framerate. Also game is locked to 30FPS which means that game runs 150% faster. After locking framerate game will be completely playable without any issues on my i5-3470(without k) where earlier game was slowed down 20-30% depending what was on screen.

Being unemployed couldn't have come at better time. Now i have Wasteland2, FFXIII and Last Story in my backlog.
Also those who had problems running Xenoblade at good framerate should seriously now try running it game before changes were running great for me and with those changes i think it would be possible to play it even on Core2duo cpus.

Caim

Arcane
Welp, I gave it a shot but I don't see a very big difference with the last time I tried Dolphin. Looks like I just need a better machine.

Perkel

Arcane
Congratulation for your unemployment Perkel .

Thanks. Now i have time to do stuff.
Glad that i have side projects that keeps my account at + monthly.

Tested Last Story more and there is still problem with FMVs without sound. Gonna put that on my watchlist instead.

Perkel

Arcane
everything standard 1xnative, mind you it is without framelimit. Game standard speed is 30 so when you lock it to proper 100% speed it goes 30fps

Perkel

Arcane
can't currently as i have shitty hd6870. When i set it out to 2x or 4x framerategoes down (obvious GPU bottleneck).

I had like day ago 7970 but it fried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom