Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review ToTheGame adores HOTU

Thanks to TOEE (like all Troika games) being a buggy mess of a disappointment, I have enough money from my eBay auction to buy HotU either today or tomorrow, depends on when the stores have it...

This site is home to a dying breed--which may explain why so many of its purveyors are such bitter assholes about everything.

ecliptic

Liturgist
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
Thanks to TOEE (like all Troika games) being a buggy mess of a disappointment, I have enough money from my eBay auction to buy HotU either today or tomorrow, depends on when the stores have it....

Make sure to buy some lube too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
Thanks to TOEE (like all Troika games) being a buggy mess of a disappointment, I have enough money from my eBay auction to buy HotU either today or tomorrow, depends on when the stores have it...
And anybody here gives a fuck about your financial situation because....?

This site is home to a dying breed--which may explain why so many of its purveyors are such bitter assholes about everything.
Bitter assholes are a dying breed? There are fucking everywhere, look at you for example, you are very bitter for whatever reasons and you are definitely an asshole :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
I'm only bitter on this cesspool of a forum, thanks. :)
Why? I mean, if we are a bunch of bitter assholes, the best way to show us the error of our ways is to demonstarte a different behavior, like happy, pleasant, optimistic, respectful, etc. What's the point of being just another asshole then?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Because, he's trying to fit in. You come to RPGCodex; leave your so called humanity at the door. Only Dark Siders welcomed.

VoiceofReason

Novice
Volourn said:
Because, he's trying to fit in. You come to RPGCodex; leave your so called humanity at the door. Only Dark Siders welcomed.

It's not the humanity that's missing, it's the tolerance and reasoning skills that are left behind. It's part religious cult and part KKK. It's like a war veteran who goes off when certain words are said. It's conforming to the ideas of a few in order to feel powerful. It's nothing special.

Chadeo

Liturgist
Ok, perhaps this is just me, but seriously…I never have understood how a +5 sword was this amazing thing. In a d20 system, assuming you are a 20th level fighter, it translates to a 25% increase in your to-hit, and a very minor (when compared with the hit points of things that are at that level) increase to damage. A +3 sword is a 30% increase for a 10th level fighter. While I can see how some other powers (like say keen, or vorpal(sp?)) might be seen as “uber” I fail to see how a simple +x bonus is.

Am I just missing something here? This does not even take into account how most equipment like this is completely nullified by a corresponding increase in the stats of the enemies you fight. Just because you become more powerful does not mean that your battles will become any easier.

So are you “uber powerful” because the enemies do not scale with you? Or is it just the fact that by the end of the game you are significantly more powerful than the majority of the world? It is a very rare cRPG where the second scenario is not the case, which leads me to believe that it clearly must not be what you are talking about.

On an unrelated note, what is with all these useless one sentence posts that keep cluttering up threads? I see a thread with 30 posts in it and get excited as I expect to read a detailed and involved discussion, but instead it is just useless banter.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hey, VoiceofReason is back!!!! with a vengeance!!!!!!! :lol:

VoiceofReason said:
Volourn said:
It's not the humanity that's missing, it's the tolerance and reasoning skills that are left behind. It's part religious cult and part KKK. It's like a war veteran who goes off when certain words are said. It's conforming to the ideas of a few in order to feel powerful. It's nothing special.
Reasoning skills are left behind? How would YOU know, you reasoning style is to surface like a submarine, post something offensive, and dissappear again without explaining and defending your position.
Conforming to the ideas of a few in order to feel powerful? What a garbage! What powah are you talking about? What anybody here has to gain by agreeing Saint & Co? Either explain yourself or get the fuck out.

triCritical

Erudite
-Lord Ebonstone- said:

So like your poor, I'm sorry. I guess us people that can afford as many CRPG's as we like are a dying breed.

I actually agree with this. Today's youth seems to be more concerned with things that appease their attention deficit disorder, then actual quality gameplay. As for bitter assholes, when was the last time we went to your Bioware and Dungeon Siege sites talking shit. Seems like your the asshole who is trolling.

You know the old saying, takes one to no one...

Voss

Erudite
Theres conformity here? Oh.
All those disagreements with and between the more frequent posters must be figments of my imagination.

And the reasoning skills here (even with some exceptions) tend to be much, much higher than the norm on computer gaming forums. Though it amuses me that a supposed Voice of Reason failed to provide any reasons to back up his intolerance.

triCritical

Erudite
Voss said:
And the reasoning skills here (even with some exceptions) tend to be much, much higher than the norm on computer gaming forums. Though it amuses me that a supposed Voice of Reason failed to provide any reasons to back up his intolerance.

Oh the irony, Voice of Reason, provide no reasons.

Not to mention he argues, without justification tolerance, something, which the Voice of Reason, has yet to show.

I nominate Voice of Reason and his tolerance for human shield duty.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Chadeo said:
Ok, perhaps this is just me, but seriously…I never have understood how a +5 sword was this amazing thing *snip*.
PnP gaming has taught that ANY magical sword is amazing. There's a qualitative difference between a normal sword and a +1 sword. With the first one you usually cannot hit some of the creatures - e.g. daemons or ethereal ones. Whereas the difference between a +1 sword and a +5 sword is just quantitative - in PnP gaming they're both "uber" imo, but one is uberer than the other :). They both are members of a small class of weapons that can hit those monsters mundane weapons cannot - and thus are items you really crave for.
In C"RPG" gaming though, you don't usually the difference between a normal sword and a +1 sword - it's usually just a combat bonus. A +5 bonus might be "amazing" because some games put restrictions to the bonuses you have to have if you want to hit a given creature - e.g. +3 weapons are required to hit a creatutre X.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
In ToB you experience the scary reality of not picking up +5 weapons, simply cause you already have over a million in gold and your entire party is packed to the teeth with vorpal/+6/1D12+5 +50% MR type weaponry :shock:

VoiceofReason said:
Volourn said:

lol, that's very true too.

Bioware might not be the l337-d00d spelled shiznit that you guys like to sarcastically remark it is, but the company beats the pants off the mainstream competition. Frankly, most CRPGs suck ass right now when it comes to roleplaying--and to tell you the truth, I'd rather play a crappy FPS with big, flashy guns than a crappy FPS with a peashooter and slingshot.

(And I know we're talking RPGs but they require a tad more explaining than the FPS analogy does...)

In short, CRPGs aren't anywhere close to the "realistic" PnP experiences... but I'll take what I can get. That makes me a tool, I know, but the games are fun, imo.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
[
Bioware might not be the l337-d00d spelled shiznit that you guys like to sarcastically remark it is, but the company beats the pants off the mainstream competition. .
So it would follow that Bioware is not mainstream. What "mainstream" are you referring to?

Spazmo

Erudite
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
Bioware might not be the l337-d00d spelled shiznit that you guys like to sarcastically remark it is, but the company beats the pants off the mainstream competition.

I'll concede that BioWare is way better than most Japanese RPG makes--SquareEnix being the only RPG company that's more "mainstream" than BioWare I can think of--but that's not saying much.

I meant for "mainstream" to = Published and boxed in stores--ie, Spiderweb Software isn't "Mainstream" while Troika is. It has nothing to do with quality--Spiderweb blows Troika and Bioware away, imo. But it's not mainstream.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
I meant for "mainstream" to = Published and boxed in stores--ie, Spiderweb Software isn't "Mainstream" while Troika is. It has nothing to do with quality--Spiderweb blows Troika and Bioware away, imo. But it's not mainstream.

I agree with this to a point. That point of contention would be that BioWare doesn't really try to do anything new, or push the genre forward in any way, often taking leaps backwards. Troika, on the other hand, does seem to push it forward. Even though ToEE had a lot of bugs, mainly in the rules system(Like no D&D game hasn't botched a bunch of these, though), they did do a number of things for the dungeon crawler CRPG.

• Vingettes, no matter whether you think they could have been fleshed out more, is still a much better device than dropping you off in a town with a bunch of sticks or other puny weapons and stuff with the goal of saving a town. They provide an alignment reason for going where you're going, and even carry that mission forward in to the first town.
  • Largely detailed combat system. Dungeon crawlers have been around since the 1970s, and to date, all 3E D&D games have been dungeon crawlers. Yet, none of them have actually even bothered making a highly detailed combat system for them which is on par with the likes of JAgged Alliance 2.

The genre will never get better if no one innovates or even tries.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I think Ebonstone and Voice know each other or are one in the same. The only other time Voice posted was when Ebonstone was around the first time. Hah. Too funny. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom