Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Dungeon Cleaners impressions.

Balor

Arcane
Dungeon cleaners international site

Well, so far it's not THAT much of RPG when it comes to complex interactions and quests with multitudes of solutions (but I DID find a few), but it has rather funny, if really black and cynical humor. Talking about Gothic - I thinks DC captures 'prison camp' (prison planet in this case) setting much better... much more realistic, at least.

So far I've seen great attention to detail in graphics and overall map structure, I daresay better then in Fallout, on par with Gothic. The gun-making plant I am stuck in right now is HUGE, for instance, and it's BUSTLING with people that are actually doing stuff.

The journal is detailed and useful, and some dialogues or on par with P:T, well, at least in terms of quantity, heh. (Redding is teh hard, you say?)

Looking good so far. Getting to sleep now, will be back tomorrow, play some more and come up with additional impressoins.

P.S. Unless you know Russian, prepare for the fact that tranlated version WILL suck. Unless they will hire George Carlin to do the translation. And since he does not seem to know Russian...
P.P.S. Oh, I really laughted my ass of when I learned the REAL reason why those two gangs of negro miners were fighting each other. Talking about 'peculiar' humor.
The following scene was also damn funny... too bad NOBODY outside of Russia will understand it, cause it has a russian movie reference.
I guess not all even in Russia will understand it, cause it's a rather old soviet movie.

suibhne

Erudite
I looked at those screenshots, but it's like they created their own crazy future language. =/

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Balor said:
The following scene was also damn funny... too bad NOBODY outside of Russia will understand it, cause it has a russian movie reference.
I guess not all even in Russia will understand it, cause it's a rather old soviet movie.

Did you commies actually have movies that weren't propaganda reels?

spacemoose

Erudite
SlavemasterT said:
Balor said:

better than the AAA tripe that fills the theaters over here in sunny california right now

voodoo1man

Liturgist
SlavemasterT said:
Balor said:

Yes, the one where all the midgets were doing your mom.

Oh wait, that was actually intended to show the hedonism of the decadent west...

Kraszu

Prophet
In Poland we actually had many comedies that made fun of system that we were living in. They are still funniest films I ever watched despite that I was a kid then "Good Bye Lenin!" don't even come close and was even boring at times.

I do fast search and I found english subs only to "Dzien Swira" also a gret film but more modern from 2002 you should watch it. List some good Russian films to watch.

Subtitles: subtitles

The Public Enemy

Educated

The irony hurts.

Well I thought this thread was going to talk about NWN2 (clever name insult no?), but potentially good discovery there, looking forward to read more impressions.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Thumbs up, Balor.

I'm actually actively covering Dungeon Cleaners (yeah, not the most effective name.. think Battle Lord) on crpg.ru now. Presently I'll publish my interview with Goblin -- the person who is behind the plot and the setting of the game (it's based on his book). (english wiki about Goblin)

I'm expecting some more in-depth analysis form you, balor, because i haven't gotten my hands on the game yet. Once I will, I'll sure write a thorough review.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
How's combat then? Turn based? RTwP? Phase based?
I'm guessing this is one of the main points with the game so I'm interested in knowing how it's implemented.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
He posted a link that contains all the info... I´ll do it for you this time:

"Real time mode combats with an original role playing system and use of over 80 types of armament from knuckle-dusters to futuristic weapons."

Balor

Arcane
Played a bit more. An other observation...
Remember that Morrowind dev that believed that no NPC should fool or betray PC, ever?
Well, after playing this game for half an hour, he'll have like three heart attacks, mwahaha.
Well, what else to expect from a planet full of criminals...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Those screenshots look fucking beautiful. Awesome artistic design. I especially love the character portrait of what appears to be a midly retarded russian man yawning.

Where the did this game come from?

Balor

Arcane
Oh, well, it's RTwP with configurable pause, not as good as Brigade E5, but since combat is rather simplistic (at least so far), 'pause on near-death', and 'pause on kill' is more then enough for me so far.
Combat was pretty hard cause I've made myself a char with 1 CON, which resulted in having 10 HPs at level 5 (your starting level), while enemies can often hit for 12 or so, heh.
However, eventially it payed off - now, after I've use my great agility and smarts to pump up my close combat skills, pretty much nobody can even land a blow on me, and half of my hits are critical for 2x damage.
Facing people with guns sucks, though. All you can hope to run up to then as fast is you can, and hope for crits on your side, and misfires on their side.
Good you can eat stuf and get healed in midcombat... otherwise I think I'll be restarting game by now.

Anyway, this game has LOTS of dialogues. Not a lot of options, and most 'wrong' options usually get you screwed up (sometimes literally :)) or dead, but that's much more then most RPGs have now.

And I have to mention again that setting is very detailed and, to quote VD, gritty. Not everyone's piece of cake, but I'm loving it so far.
It's certainly one of the best Russian RPGs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If they're not shooting for the Oblivion crowd, why make it RTwP? Is that particular combat system popular where the game is being made?

Balor

Arcane
It's because of the game's engine. They bought it cheap from other Russian dev... or something like that. And the engine is RT.
But again, it has configureable pause.
Not to mention that combat system has little to do with how good the game is as RPG...
Unless you REALLY believe that RPG is only about running around, killing things.
If, truth be told, you'll have to fight quite a bit in this game... but, daresay, less then in Gothic. And it has much more dialogues then in Gothic... it's not spoken, though.
But, so much as I recall, it's not considered a mortal sin here, heh.

Jason

chasing a bee
Presently I'll publish my interview with Goblin -- the person who is behind the plot and the setting of the game (it's based on his book).
Groovy. Are you going to translate it into English? And why the name change? Are you too cool for school now that you work for CRPG.ru?

Balor

Arcane
Btw, about the 'translation will suck' comment...
Well, if Goblin himself will do the translation - then it may actually rule... cultural references aside.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I'll probably pass. I'm fairly tolerant of RT combat in an RPG or tactical game, but not when guns come into play. Style is appealing, but since the game is essentially combat, I can't see how it will appeal to me.

Nael

Arcane
aweigh said:
Where the did this game come from?

Where the fuck do you think? The text looks like gibberish and it's a post-apocalyptic turn based shooter. Goddamn you stupid fucking commies. You're all so damn predictable.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
@Balor: I'm one of the people here who thinks the following: "An RPG can have any kind of combat the developers want, but an RPG without combat is not an RPG anymore."

I only asked because I prefer either completely turn-based combat, or fully realized real-time combat, than a mishmash of both that tries to placate all audiences.

@Nael: The game is not turn-based.

Nael

Arcane
aweigh said:
@Nael: The game is not turn-based.

I guess it helps to read before sticking ones foot in ones mouth :oops:

At first glance it looked like a Silent Storm clone. I hated Silent Storm soley because of the stupid Panzerkleins. Other than that it was a decent game. The artwork was what probably impressed me most. Turn-based games give me the willies though. Not a huge fan of those, but Silent Storm was worth it out of the bargain bin.

The fact that this Dungeon Cleaners is real time has piqued my interest. Though I aint gonna learn russian in order to play it. That's for damn sure :P

Balor

Arcane
" Style is appealing, but since the game is essentially combat, I can't see how it will appeal to me."
Well, 'Titan quest' is essentially combat.
This game is NOT essentially combat. It has great lot of dialogues, and a lot of quest do not involve killing stuff whatsoever.
But still, you cannot play a 'pure diplomat' here. Setting dictates it's rules, you know.

Balor

Arcane
Heh, turns out that this game is more nonlinear then I thought. You can complete the first area (industrial complex) at least in three ways! At least Ive read about it on the forums.

Too bad combat generally sucks... cause RTwP there does not even closely match Brigade E5, and I expect situation to get worse once I accemble full squad.
Thankfully, most combat in the game is optional. But far from completely, unfortunately.

However, the gun mechanics are very good:
Instead of usual hit/miss mechanics (which is reserved for h2h), it features full-blown bullet flight simulation.
The character shoots IN THE DIRECTION of the enemy, the game applies derivation based on your inaccuracy and weapon imperfections, and THEN calculates whether you hit the enemy, your comrade standing in front of him, or old lady that was walking behind him (ok, I lied, there are no old ladies in game. Setting is far too brutal for that. No children too - cause women are not supposed to be there in the first place, and those that are illegally sneaked on planet 'for entertainment of inmates' are subjected to sterilization).
Critical hit system is rather good, if nowhere as fun as in fallout.
Crits to head are always fatal, crits in other bodyparts knock you (and your enemies) down and apply different stat penalties untill you'll get healed in hospital, or perform surgery (medical skill + special surgeon's case) on yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom