Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"MS to team up with KY to introduce the latest and greatest in ass rape solutions for the PC."

"That sounds pretty invasive, but... it's Fallout 4," say consumers.

bussinrounds

Augur
Still a good number of games that are worth playing, in my opinion. Just because very few of them live up to the heyday doesn't mean they're not worth having a go with.
Worth 'having a go' at some of these modern games, might not be worth the cost of the upgrade to alot of ppl. Especially if there's older games they wanna check out but haven't....plus with the incline upon us..

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Worth 'having a go' at some of these modern games, might not be worth the cost of the upgrade to alot of ppl. Especially if there's older games they wanna check out but haven't....plus with the incline upon us..

I understand and respect that position. Part of me wants a mode gaming laptop for the classics and nothing else. Then I think about games like Witcher 3 and even if they are decline to some extent, I want to try them out.

Everyone has a different line in the sand.

Dexter

Arcane

http://adage.com/article/special-report-ana-annual-meeting-2013/xbox-reshape-marketing/244605/
Forty-nine days from an Xbox One rollout that could make or break one of Microsoft's most successful brands, the key marketing executive behind the launch outlined how it also could reshape marketing in a speech to the Association of National Advertisers Masters of Marketing Conference in Phoenix Oct. 5.

0604YusufMehdi_Print.jpg

Yusuf Mehdi

Yusuf Mehdi, corporate VP-marketing and strategy for Microsoft, outlined how he expects the new system, which succeeds the eight-year-old Xbox 360 in a neck-and-neck race with Sony's Playstation 4 launch, could affect marketing. Those possibilities include ramping up consumer expectations for production values in advertising thanks to advances in Xbox imaging technology, furthering the "gamification" movement in advertising, and consolidating more attention now diffused among multiple devices for gaming, TV and web browsing onto the big screen. For example, Xbox One will make it easier to port real-time fantasy-football data to the TV screen as people watch NFL games.

But perhaps the biggest potential impact is one Mr. Mehdi only hinted at -- the possibility of making data from Xbox available for market research.

Holy grail
"We are trying to bridge some of the world between online and offline," he said. "That's a little bit of a holy grail in terms of how you understand the consumer in that 360 degrees of their life. We have a pretty unique position at Microsoft because of what we do with digital, as well as more and more with television because of Xbox. It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way, and hopefully at some point we can start to offer that to advertisers broadly."

Xbox One can essentially work like TV that watches you, bringing marketers a huge new trove of data about what's going on in living rooms, including, as one marketer put it after the speech, unprecedented information about how people engage with TV advertising.

"It could have a big impact on pricing," he said, given Xbox One's capacity for seeing whether people are paying attention or how their bodies respond to the ads, said the marketer, who wasn't authorized by his company to speak for attribution.

Biometric responses
Given that Xbox 360 has sold more than 78 million units, if even a fraction of likely Xbox One users could be persuaded to share data, the technology could create the world's largest panel for measuring biometric responses to advertising.

The new generation of Kinect technology in Xbox One can distinguish up to six voices in a room, respond to voice commands, read skeletal movement, muscle force, whether people are looking at or away from the TV and even their heart rates, Mr. Mehdi said. The latter happens as the camera detects slight changes in skin tone related to dilation of a blood vessel in the eyeball that responds to heart rate, Mr. Mehdi said.

Last edited:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
The new generation of Kinect technology in Xbox One can distinguish up to six voices in a room, respond to voice commands, read skeletal movement, muscle force, whether people are looking at or away from the TV and even their heart rates, Mr. Mehdi said. The latter happens as the camera detects slight changes in skin tone related to dilation of a blood vessel in the eyeball that responds to heart rate, Mr. Mehdi said.

Yes! That's exactly what we asked for! When i'm playing games in my computer, enjoying my beautiful graphics with high FPS and awesome mods installed, i always think "Gee, i sure wish my computer could detect if i'm looking at the screen or not! That would make gaming sooo much better!" Way to go Microsoft!

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Yes! That's exactly what we asked for! When i'm playing games in my computer, enjoying my beautiful graphics with high FPS and awesome mods installed, i always think "Gee, i sure wish my computer could detect if i'm looking at the screen or not! That would make gaming sooo much better!" Way to go Microsoft!

When did people who spend so much time and money making the graphics on their popamole shit look as good as possible ever feel had the right to feel superior to the console crowd?

Good looking popamole is still popamole, and spending so much making it look good is still something you should be ashamed of.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
If I do want to watch something on tv, I usually DVR it so that I can fast forward through the adverts, I wonder what kind of data that would send to them? I know what I like and I resent loud obnoxious advertising? They will have to start scanning the room for labels to know what to start spamming my email with if I bought an XBOX Orwell. Could be worse, having an advertising company spying on you is slightly less invasive and annoying than a government spying on you.

Cassidy

Arcane
having an advertising company spying on you is slightly less invasive and annoying than a government spying on you.

Haha, after Snowden/etc, do you really think only advertising companies will use that Xbox Telescreen One to spy?

What a gigantic piece of shit only mentally retarded abortions would buy [/edgy]

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/appbuilder/archive/2013/10/14/raising-the-bar-with-direct3d.aspx

The Xbox One graphics API is “Direct3D 11.x” and the Xbox One hardware provides a superset of Direct3D 11.2 functionality. Other graphics APIs such as OpenGL and AMD’s Mantle are not available on Xbox One.

Direcd3D only on XBONE? No low-level API? So that means most multiplatform titles will be held back by this slow piece of shit. Not to mention that those fascists probably require you to upgrade to Win 8.1 to play future multiplatform titles. No fucking thanks.

I hope Valve, Nvidia and Epic make efforts to make OpenGL 4.x the new graphics API standard for PC gaming. Fuck Microsoft.

Carmack was right sticking with OpenGL all way long.

Micmu

Magister
camera detects slight changes in skin tone related to dilation of a blood vessel in the eyeball that responds to heart rate
Finally a console responding to emotions!!
A dream platform for biowarez.

So now it won't be needed to continuously press A to continue cinematic sequence but just THINK about it. I love how they add all those worthless gimmicks yet "games" are becoming more and more simplistic crap. What's the point?

camera detects slight changes in skin tone related to dilation of a blood vessel in the eyeball that responds to heart rate
Finally a console responding to emotions!!
A dream platform for biowarez.

So now it won't be needed to continuously press A to continue cinematic sequence but just THINK about it. I love how they add all those worthless gimmicks yet "games" are becoming more and more simplistic crap. What's the point?
Publishers get jewgold from dumbfucks?

Destroid

Arcane
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/appbuilder/archive/2013/10/14/raising-the-bar-with-direct3d.aspx

The Xbox One graphics API is “Direct3D 11.x” and the Xbox One hardware provides a superset of Direct3D 11.2 functionality. Other graphics APIs such as OpenGL and AMD’s Mantle are not available on Xbox One.

Direcd3D only on XBONE? No low-level API? So that means most multiplatform titles will be held back by this slow piece of shit. Not to mention that those fascists probably require you to upgrade to Win 8.1 to play future multiplatform titles. No fucking thanks.

I hope Valve, Nvidia and Epic make efforts to make OpenGL 4.x the new graphics API standard for PC gaming. Fuck Microsoft.

Carmack was right sticking with OpenGL all way long.

Valve must, no DX on linux.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah, this could get really ugly for PC ports and Steam OS in particular. Shame because it's small and medium developers that are going to end up having to choose what platform to release their game and pulling the short straw no matter what they decide.

Dexter

Arcane
http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/
The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

:retarded: This should be in the BTE.

Athelas

Arcane
What is BTE?

I'm not sure if I can even tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but this sounds like a consoletard desperately trying to justify to himself that 30 FPS and other console limitations are great.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

4QLsr.gif

Jashiin

Arcane
The concept of movie magic isn't made up. Like watching a fire, there is a certain hypnotic quality to it that modern displays do not have. Of course using it in the context of the console garbage not being able to even reach 60 fps and using it as an excuse to enhance magic is preposterous.

Everyone working in marketing should be executed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The concept of movie magic isn't made up. Like watching a fire, there is a certain hypnotic quality to it that modern displays do not have. Of course using it in the context of the console garbage not being able to even reach 60 fps and using it as an excuse to enhance magic is preposterous.

I can agree with 24 FPS being desirable for movies, especially since, in the case of a film, the frame rate ends up being incredibly consistent and smooth. I've never watched a film and thought, "Hey, that's choppy."

A computer game however looks like canned ass if locked at 24 or 30 FPS (compared to 60 FPS), for reasons I don't entirely understand, but which might have to do with fluctuations in the microseconds of transition time between one frame and the next. The only magical thing about it is that I mysteriously end up buying PC versions of as many games as I possibly can.

Declinator

Arbiter

Well, what he says is not totally wrong...when talking about movies.

Of course, this talk about there being "holes to fill" is just absurd. 24 fps with 180 degree shutter brings about a pleasant motion blur effect that has NO PLACE IN VIDEOGAMES but is indeed very "movie-like", at least for those that are born and bred watching movies that have that effect and as such have associated that effect with movies (which is probably all of us.)

And 30 fps is considerably different from 24 fps as the shutter speed in 30 fps is 1/60 of a second and 1/48 of a second in 24 fps (if shot with the traditional 180 degree shutter) so his point is moot anyways.

If a game has many cinematics it could be debated that 24 fps is better for that but then again: The more Cinematics we have in our Gaming Standards the less like "Games" they will feel.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom