Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon 2: The Corruption will be released October 30th

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon 2: The Corruption; Spiderweb Software

Spiderweb's next epic, Avadon 2: The Corruption, will be released October 30th.

At last, we can announce the official release date for our next all-new fantasy adventure! Avadon 2: The Corruption will be available for Windows and Macintosh on October 30th. It will be released simultaneously on our site and on all major online stores.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Boy, that Vogel sure keeps cranking 'em out! I still haven't gotten around to playing the previous one, so I suppose I'll pass, at least for now.

Severian Silk

It's funny how some sprites are rendered in orthographic projection and some aren't. Noticed this in his earlier games as well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Will it be utter shit just like the first one,eh?

If Avadon was Dragon Age, this will be Dragon Age 2. So yes, it will be better, but lots of people will pretend that it's worse.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
If Avadon was Dragon Age, this will be Dragon Age 2. So yes, it will be better, but lots of people will pretend that it's worse.

post-11044-Breaking-Bad-WHAT-gif-WAT-WOT-8sx9.gif

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ok, lets make this about DAtoo. It had lots of improvements over DAhOh, eg:
Character system
More intelligent dialogue options. (DAhOh had none, silch, zip)
Better companion interaction (in relation to the treatment of the suckup-meter).

Only few major weaknesses compared to DAhOh, eg:
Even more linear maps and only 4-5 different ones that were constantly re-used.
Atrocious combat. "OMG! We're surrounded! Beware, another wave!" (But combat was pretty shit in DAhOh, too, and whoever plays Dragon Crap for its combat gameplay should just go and kill himself, anyway.)

Both had derp main stories, so there's not much difference in that department.
So maybe it was because I expected DAtoo to be completely crap but I was pleasantly surprized that it was actually ok for a Bioware game and I liked it much better than DAhOh.
The strengths of both combined without the weaknesses might have turned into a decent game...

And Konjad also loves DAtoo. His opinion is very important.

Now back to how Vogel stopped producing even remotely interesting games years ago.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avadon is good game, IMO.
But yeah, not as great as the latest installments of the other Spiderweb games. It just lacks depth in comparison to those games.

Still, I'm pretty sure I will buy (and probably like) Avadon 2 as well.

Repressed Homosexual
He needs to completely overhaul his system because at this point I'm beyond sick of staring at the same assets that have been there for 15 years and use the same unsatisfying combat system.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Fuck Vogel.

I somewhat liked Exile. I enjoyed Avernum. Would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't a reboot of Exile. I loved Geneforge. I really love Geneforge. It's great. The entire series, with 2 as a high point.

I didn't like Avadon. I don't like the Avernum reboot.

I hate how he always says that he doesn't want to try anything new because Nethergate failed, but he glosses over the fact that Nethergate sucked.
I also hate how he says that he'll never try anything on the scope of Blades again because he's too old and lacks the ambition.

Really, if he lacks the conviction to make something he's actually proud of, he should just get a fucking day job already.

Vogel, thanks for Geneforge. Really, thank you. A lot. But you no longer get my support. I bought your last few games out of loyalty, but I've been disappointed by pretty much everything. Bite me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I watched the short little video and can you only have 3 party members?
Yep. Same as in Avadon 1.
There you you create your character from 4 classes and also had a party of 4 people (one of each class). Of those, you can take 2 with you when you move out of the castle.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The first Avadon was horribly generic and painfully boring.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't like Avadon either, especially when compared to Exile and Geneforge, so I will not be buying this.

But I'll give Vogel a :bro: for the fact that his games generally come out around the time he says they'll be out, and he does it all without a kickstarter.

chiefnewo

Liturgist
I stopped playing Avadon shortly after I realised that using the Cheat Engine's SpeedHack feature to make the game 3x faster didn't make it 3x more enjoyable. It helped for a bit to make the interminable walking across endless cleared screens a little faster.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Avadon is apparently their bestseller - presumably because it was first to Steam. Vogel's actually quite enamored with the game's storyline. I put 10-hours into it, but I honestly can't remember a single thing about the plot or characters. With all the filler it's pretty difficult to get excited about these sort of games. That said, Vogel's got a pretty decent gig now and the perfect backlog for a platform like Steam.

himmy

Arcane
He needs to completely overhaul his system because at this point I'm beyond sick of staring at the same assets that have been there for 15 years and use the same unsatisfying combat system.

I asked him this when he did that AMA on reddit and his reply was

It's just the house style. We make low-budget games with low-budget graphics, and I'm a mediocre graphics programmer, at best. I'm afraid it's unlikely to change too much. That being said, Avadon 2 is the nicest looking thing we've ever made.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I also hate how he says that he'll never try anything on the scope of Blades again because he's too old and lacks the ambition.

I was shocked to find out recently that he's only 42. He bitches so much about being old I assumed he was in his 50s or 60s. I mean, he's been using the "I'm too old for anything ambitious" excuse since his late 30s, which is kind of silly.

Xi

Arcane
This guy is pretty awesome, imho. I think any true codexer would love to have a sustainable income based on an at-home, indie video game, development job. He exemplifies video game design at it's best. Just a man and his ideas.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nethergate does not suck, if you think nethergate sucks then there is something wrong with you.

Anyway, Avadon was a pretty weak game, and I'm not going to pick up the sequel until I hear some reactions. If people think it's similar in quality to the first episode, then I will wait for a nice discount

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom