Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World 1-1 - Oldschool CRPG Retrospectives by Reggie Carolipio

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why did I not know about this site until just now? :( http://extralives.wordpress.com/

This guy Reggie C, the same guy who wrote that recent article about the Wizardry IP, also wrote a ton of oldschool CRPG retrospectives for this blog. Ultima, Wizardry, SSI, and a ton of other games (including non-RPGs). Really good stuff.

It's too late to newspost these, but I may as well bring them to everybody's attention.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, fuck it, I'll make a newspost about the Ultima and Wizardry retrospectives. They're not that old. :smug:

Alchemist

Arcane
Good stuff - reminds me I need to try the Phantasie series one of these days. It's one of the few 80's era RPG series I haven't played. Their cover art always looks awesome.

MMXI

Arcane
Good stuff - reminds me I need to try the Phantasie series one of these days. It's one of the few 80's era RPG series I haven't played. Their cover art always looks awesome.
It's a really good series and very comfortable to play these days, in my opinion. Definitely one of the cRPG series that aged the most gracefully.

groundhog

Educated
That site is full of good stuff. Always enjoy reading his reviews - thanks for posting the new ones.

Good stuff.

Reviews from when these games were contemporary, next-gen, newfag awesome: https://archive.org/details/computermagazines

Still have a bit of shrapnel embedded just below my right knee from the (8bit platform) war. Hurts like a bastard on cold mornings. Some ZX Spectrum untermenschen blindsided me out of the fog and I suffered multiple rubber keyboard lacerations.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Good stuff.

Reviews from when these games were contemporary, next-gen, newfag awesome: https://archive.org/details/computermagazines

Still have a bit of shrapnel embedded just below my right knee from the (8bit platform) war. Hurts like a bastard on cold mornings. Some ZX Spectrum untermenschen blindsided me out of the fog and I suffered multiple rubber keyboard lacerations.
Why are they archiving magazines anyway? Do they have permission to do it or something?

Why are they archiving magazines anyway?
Cultural preservation. And I'm glad they have as it opens a window on an era where gaming in general still held a sense of wonder for me.

Do they have permission to do it or something?
Dunno. I doubt they're particularly troubled by cease and desist letters. Many of the publishers are defunct legal entities so from whom would they obtain permission? What's the monetary value of decades old magazine content given that copyright is only enforced by expensive lawyers?

P. serious concerns of gaming journalism in 1985:

You stick it the man Zzap64! Bro don't wanna type no BASIC code. Bro jus' wanna game. I recall owning that issue too as it contains their The Lords of Midnight review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom