Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Bruticis

So is it true that GOG games on steam also have no DRM (including Steamworks/Steam DRM)?
Many of them, yes. There was a list floating around at one point but I don't know if it's been updated. I can tell you for sure you ran Thief without steam, for example.

Multi-headed Cow

So is it true that GOG games on steam also have no DRM (including Steamworks/Steam DRM)?
That's usually the case, yes. And not just GoG stuff. Europa Universalis 4 is DRM free too, for example.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's a list on the GOG forum. It's pretty long. Mostly indies and classics though, not a lot of new games from publishers.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Gaben is still in full potato smash mode, Steam added Shadow Man, The 11th Hour, and 7th Guest. Shadow Man is a dollar cheaper again, too. 7th Guest and 11th hour are also in a bundle for $15 vs $20 buying them separate on GOG (unless you grab them now while on sale at GOG).

But does Shadow Man come with the official strategy guide? :D

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

Meh, strategy guides are for people who cannot into playing games. I'll read through the manuals available with GoG games, but I've never really seen the point to using strategy guides.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

Meh, strategy guides are for people who cannot into playing games. I'll read through the manuals available with GoG games, but I've never really seen the point to using strategy guides.

Well, this strategy guide is quite special, actually. It features a lot of behind-the-scenes from the developers, some nice little bits about voodoo, and is just cool as hell to read. On top of that, it was submitted to us by a fan of the game who wanted to share it with the community. So, yeah, it's special, at least to me :)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The strategy guide to The Last Express is also filled with lots of background information about the game which helps putting things into context.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Maybe Thief don't need Steam to launch but Dark Engine's 2.0 patches&fixes (at least that one for Dark Project - Tfix) require you to move game directory beyond Steam on.

Not to mention Shadow of Chernobyl where some mods require older version...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, fuck. GOG's Sanitarium keeps crashing randomly to the point that it's almost unplayable. Lots of people seem to have the issue, but nobody has a definite fix. I tried most of them and they don't seem to work.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, fuck. GOG's Sanitarium keeps crashing randomly to the point that it's almost unplayable. Lots of people seem to have the issue, but nobody has a definite fix. I tried most of them and they don't seem to work.

Good to know. I was planning to purchase it for the inevitable Halloween special sale, but now I think I'll hold off until a fix is announced.

:keepmymoney:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In fairness the forum threads for every PC game ever made have a batch of people insisting it crashes all the time.

Name

Cipher
Change a machine is a universal solution that sometimes work for a game that crashes all the time and exhausts every internet known solution.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Every time I browse GOG to buy a new game I end up with like 6 or 7 instead. I picked up Long Live the Queen for shits and giggles but holy hell that game is really hard.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
In fairness the forum threads for every PC game ever made have a batch of people insisting it crashes all the time.

Except in this case it happens on both the PCs I tried it on, so I reckon it's more than just people blowing hot air. Apparently you can 'fix' it by running the original .exe instead of the GoG shortcut, but that causes the colors to get all messed up.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Every time I browse GOG to buy a new game I end up with like 6 or 7 instead. I picked up Long Live the Queen for shits and giggles but holy hell that game is really hard.

I read the review said it's basically trial and error?

I wouldn't say it's all trial and error but you have to make some choices and live with them. You must be very careful what you do because you can either irremediably piss off some duke or get yourself killed if you either don't have good enough court manners or knowledge in foreign affairs. A friend of mine got killed by bandits as he was attacked, caught an arrow and tried to heal himself. It didn't work.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

I read the review said it's basically trial and error?

I wouldn't say it's all trial and error but you have to make some choices and live with them. You must be very careful what you do because you can either irremediably piss off some duke or get yourself killed if you either don't have good enough court manners or knowledge in foreign affairs. A friend of mine got killed by bandits as he was attacked, caught an arrow and tried to heal himself. It didn't work.

Probably because the stat that controls composure was too low. Sure, you can have battlefield medicine and you'll pass that skill check but if you're too panicked then you'll end up fatally injuring yourself anyways :)

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yeah. I just got killed in a duel I refused, the guy got seriously pissed off and my fencing skills were way too low. :lol:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's either trial and error or metagaming.

It's fun, funny and clever, but the use of skillchecks is mostly scripted, rarely is there a way to predict which skills are going to be essential in the future, so you have to invest in many things at once, but the actual values of skillchecks are hidden, so it's very hard to say how much is enough at any given point.

You'll resort to savescumming, and the actual replay value is very limited.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
BTW anyone who posted in RK's LP of the game when it was still active should hold off on buying it. The dev promised free steam keys to everyone who did that.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
BTW anyone who posted in RK's LP of the game when it was still active should hold off on buying it. The dev promised free steam keys to everyone who did that.
I'm wondering how much time should we give them before calling them out on their promise.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I'm wondering how much time should we give them before calling them out on their promise.
It's not on the steam store itself yet, so obviously they can't now. I'll give them a week or so after it shows up in-store before sending a friendly reminder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom