Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is this where i sign up?

Jed

Cipher
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
Nah, it just looks like another user who's not yet brainwashed into the RPGCodex Kool Kids Klub. You should post a warning on your forum gates: "Abandon all individual opinion, ye who enter here."
What a fucking joke. Those here who deviate from the "general consensus" myth that Bioware makes great CRPGs are the conformists? How is having an opinion that differs from the status quo a lack of individuality? Who's doing the brainwashing anyway, Bioware with a multimillion dollar hype machine of a company, or Jeff Vogel tricking me into buying Geneforge 2 with all of his market share hegemony?
Volourn said:
You aren't forced to abandon anything here.
As much as I can't stand Volourn for it, he's right: you don't have to abandon your opinion here, but if you can't back it up then, yeah--you're gonna get mowed down by the people who can.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
-Lord Ebonstone- said:
Nah, it just looks like another user who's not yet brainwashed into the RPGCodex Kool Kids Klub.

You should post a warning on your forum gates: "Abandon all individual opinion, ye who enter here."

Complete bullshit. After all, you are still here, aren't you?

Jed

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful relationship....
But we're from two different worlds--could it ever work?

I guess I could learn to look past his terrible taste in games if he can see past my seething hatred for pretty much everyone and everything and inspite of it all love me for who I am...

EEVIAC

Erudite
While we're in Volourn back-slapping mode - he's not alone in being a vocal dissenter. Who could possibly forget Skorpios? See Volly's postcount? Over a thousand posts and almost no one has agreed with any of them. At the very least that takes dedication, a conviction in his beliefs.

While were talking about individuality - this is the third or fourth "This is what's wrong with RPG Codex" thread in a month. You want to discuss individuality, originality? THINK HARDER, SHIT-HEELS!!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
EEVIAC said:
See Volly's postcount? Over a thousand posts and almost no one has agreed with any of them. At the very least that takes dedication, a conviction in his beliefs.
That's why I like Volly so much, he so sincerely doesn't give a flying fuck about people disagreeing with him, bitching at him, complaining, threating to ban him that it makes him a perfect member of this little society. :)

While were talking about individuality - this is the third or fourth "This is what's wrong with RPG Codex" thread in a month. You want to discuss individuality, originality? THINK HARDER, SHIT-HEELS!!!
Right on. The funny part is that every asshole thinks that he's so unique making his stupid little post while in reality he's a part of much larger "we hate RPG Codex because RPG Codex hates Bioware" community. Dig the irony :)

Seven

Erudite
ownedfool said:
...for the "I hate Bioware"-club?

Ever seen that Friends episode with Brad Pitt and the "I hate Rachel"-club... ? Are you the Ross-es of the RPG world?

I think ToEE is a decent game.
I think NWN is a decent game.
I think BG is a decent game.
I think KOTOR is a decent game.

I don't hate Troika. I don't hate Bioware. I like to play games. :roll:

Fuck off and go troll some where else before I throw poo at you. I for one like being an elitist prick.
As for Lordlicksmynuts, GET A CLUE!!! Can you not see the ignorance of your words, your arguments defeat themselves.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Spazmo, I hate to intevere in this sicne this guy is a fool; but Saint may like the game; but his review of KOTOR was not "overall positive". I mean his review DID consist of mostly complaints, and then at the end, he says "You may doubt this; but I like this game".

Yeah, it was positive, which is why I said I did like it overall - but I also said it had lots of problems. I can't cite as many things that I liked about the game because they were specific instances involving specific situations, which would be filling the review with spoilers. I do feel KotOR has a lot of problems, that's for damned sure. I think it'd be hard to argue that the combat in KotOR isn't nearly as good as the combat in other PC CRPGs for the most part or that the interface doesn't have latent console port issues making it more convoluted than it should be.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I agree with both complaints. It's just, as even you admitted in the review, the first three quarters of the review is pretty overwheliming about the complaints and may cause doubt in the reader's mind of whether or not you actually like the game. That's all I was saying.

triCritical

Erudite
And I would agree with the review. If I had to talk about KotOR, it would also be filled mostly with complaints because there is a lot wrong with the game.

1) Mini games suck.
2) The plot devices are not only implausable, but laugable.
3) The interparty banter feels like a bad B-Movie.
4) This is the WORST combat I have ever seen in a CRPG!
5) Am I playing a space-opera CRPG or another DnD game?

and the list can go on and on....

But at the end of it all, the end result is a pretty fun game, WHY??? I just don't know.

Here's my theory, its a lot like Baldur's Gate ONE, but with less freedom.

It has ambience, atmosphere, good music and sound, and it does all of this well. As far as an adventure games go its GREAT. Bioware really out did themselves in these aspects of the game and they did it so well that you have to overlook the key CRPG ingredients, which as usual are nothing special.

In conclusion, if I was not a sucka for Tactical CRPG's this would be my CRPG of the year instead of Gladius. If Bioware would do more games that resemble the old school Sierra Adventure games, I think they might actually become a decent developer.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
triCritical said:
In conclusion, if I was not a sucka for Tactical CRPG's this would be my CRPG of the year instead of Gladius.
Forgive me my ignorance but what is this Gladius you speak of? Tactical CRPG of the year? I can't believe I missed something like that

triCritical

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
triCritical said:
In conclusion, if I was not a sucka for Tactical CRPG's this would be my CRPG of the year instead of Gladius.
Forgive me my ignorance but what is this Gladius you speak of? Tactical CRPG of the year? I can't believe I missed something like that

Well there is a probably a good reason you missed it. Its on the Gamecube (its also on PS2 and XBOX). And its not CRPG of the year, just my pick out of the current crop. Its a Tactical Turn based CRPG set in an alternative universe fashioned after ROME. It plays a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics. You basically either pick the cliche girl or dude and you can hire people to fight under you, and go from town to town gladiating in TB goodness. Its pretty fun, but not stellar. Maybe I am just hyping it so much because I want more games like this style afte Final Fantays Tactics and Ogre Tactics. :D

DemonKing

Arcane
Look, I think apart from the regretable Friends' quote the initial poster isn't far wrong.

For an independent CRPG site you might be mistaken for thinking this site is a front for Troika PR sometimes.

I think NWN OC was crap, and Throne of Bhaal was not that great, but I also have to give kudos to Bioware for BG 1 & 2 and KOTOR. There's no doubt they can produce great titles.

On the other hand while I liked TOEE, it is hard to disput that on release it was a bug- ridden mess (and even post patch, there are still a lot of problems) which wasn't exactly original, and Arcanum had a *lot* of problems (graphics, combat, dialog, NPCs). So far they haven't exactly proved themselves as a consistent producer of AAA titles...rather they are a consitent producer of flawed gems.

All I'm saying is that a great game is a great game, no matter who produces it...just because a company is successful does not make it evil.

DemonKing

Arcane
DrattedTin said:
Uh, what about Arcanum's dialogue was flawed?

My half-orc with high charisma was always be met with derision and insults by *everyone* in the game but he just had to say something along the lines of "do you really think it's fiar to discriminate like that" and all of a sudden they would treat him just like anyone else.

If only the real world was so simple...LOL, but in a game, it got a little boring after a while.

Spazmo

Erudite
DemonKing said:
All I'm saying is that a great game is a great game, no matter who produces it...just because a company is successful does not make it evil.

Naturally. That's why we praise companies that make good games. But companies that make bad RPG like, oh, let's say BioWare, don't get any hearty back slapping from us because we don't like their games. The point here is that your great game is our reason why the CRPG genre is in the sorry state it is today. BioWare is, at best, a skilled adventure game designer. They aren't much for RPGs.

Lannister

Novice
Well i must jump to Biowares defense here. BG 1 and 2 especially gave me the ability to "role-play" my character, of course with a lot of stereotypes but that was the same way with FO 1 and 2 and Arcanum.
You see I believe there are some very different POV`s here:
It is as with Pen&Paper RPG`s : For some the Combat with all its optimizing is important, for others the story, the immersion the atmosphere, etc.
Human beings are different. They enjoy different things.
But when one looks at some of these posts that are written here, that doesn`t do you any credit at all. Insults everywhere, posts like "troll go away and such." For an outsider like me, cause i rarely visit these forums , it really looks like a marauding gang where everyone who has a different opininon than you gets smacked at.
I certainly Agree that NWN`s official campaign is bad, but there are beautiful fan-made mods out there and they really enhance the whole experience.
Bioware gave the fans the tools to do these things.

And for me Bioware has made some real damn good games like BG, BG2 and TOB and KOTOR, which i enjoyed a lot.
I do not think they deserve a collective bashing by you, but thats just IMHO.
I just believe we should argue like adults with arguments not comments like "Fuck you and stuff" cause then we can all visit kindergarden again.

L.

Spazmo

Erudite
Lannister said:
Well i must jump to Biowares defense here. BG 1 and 2 especially gave me the ability to "role-play" my character, of course with a lot of stereotypes but that was the same way with FO 1 and 2 and Arcanum.

It did? Where? Was that in all the parts where the plot was set in stone except for minor deviations? Or was it that bit where if you even tried to be evil, your reputation would drop and the game would spawn an infinity of guards until you died? Or perhaps the part where the only way out of 95% of encounters in those games was to kill the other guy?

Now, perhaps BG1 & 2 did allow you to roleplay your character. But that's only if your character happens to perfectly fit the vision that the BioWare designers had for him, which is roughly a goody-two-shoes homicidal hero.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Problems with Arcanum's dialog and NPC's???

Laughable. Play the game again

We are talking about actually forcing changes into your NPC's, rather than just listen to their constant whinings a la BG2 and eventually see them come to acceptance with themselves after you had to for 80 times pick the exact correct dialog choice that Bioware intended to be "correct" rather than "wrong" to continue the romance.

Lannister

Novice
Well I Played through BG1 and 2 as a good character and a bad one and both times I enjoyed myself.
Of course it was more difficult with the evil one, but not utterly unplayable.
And I agree that one should have split this reputation thingie in renown and virtue or something simiar.
Check www.teambg.com. A whole new bunch of bigger mods has just come out and also this virtue moddie. Maybe you should try replaying BG with this virtue mod, it could fix your experience.
But IMHo the greatest "Roleplaying" experience was Planescape torment. It was about a story of one man/woman , and IMHO thats much more important than combat.

L.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Lannister said:
Well I Played through BG1 and 2 as a good character and a bad one and both times I enjoyed myself.
Of course it was more difficult with the evil one, but not utterly unplayable.
And I agree that one should have split this reputation thingie in renown and virtue or something simiar.
Check www.teambg.com. A whole new bunch of bigger mods has just come out and also this virtue moddie. Maybe you should try replaying BG with this virtue mod, it could fix your experience.
But IMHo the greatest "Roleplaying" experience was Planescape torment. It was about a story of one man/woman , and IMHO thats much more important than combat.

L.

You automatically cannot be evil.

SPOILERS

Save BG? Check
Save Nashkell? Check
Destroy Iron throne mines thus eliminating problems for the good guys? Check. At least here you could flood it with the slaves inside, but that hardly saves the game from being utterly goodie-two-shoes oriented

END OF SPOILERS
People like yourself are far too easy to please. Oh, sure we're going to install some random mod which didn't ship with the original game, and forgive all the game's problems.

It's like people praising Bioware for NWN and praising NWN for fanmade mods :lol:

Lannister

Novice
First of all you don`t know me, i am not so easy to please (according to my friends), but thats another matter.
I just enjoyed the game.
And yes Bioware were the ones who gave the modders for NWN the power to shape their stories in the first place, and thats what i am thankful for.
Do you really believe, that if they hadn`t provided the toolset then there would be so many mods and also really good ones out there ? IMHO not.
They did really capture the feeling of the Forgotten realms in their BG games and that is very important for me.
Of course I believe they are easier to get into then e.g. Arcanum, but they had a very good story, a lot of side plots romances, etc.
When you look at TOEE e.g. which is so praised by you all then it is nothing more than an exact D&D combat simulation, nothing more nothing less.
Plot, sidequests, Character interaction ? I played through the game twice and didn`t find too much.
Thats what i meant in my last posts. I believe for some of you combat simulation e.g. is very important, charcter optimization etc.
For me its not. For me its about interesting plots, interaction, immersion, atmosphere.
Thats what i like about the Bioware games.

L.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom