Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

hiver

yeah guys, go discuss ... hmmpff... philosophy with someone whose every sentence is about relativism but who then repeatedly claims he isnt - and he sticks to this crap with utter absolutistic diligence - (there is nothing else but his relativism and absolutists on other side) while he is congratulating himself on being a ... philosopher.

Surprised there can be this much complaining about inventory management, i mean i've never encountered a system that was so shitty that it stuck with me and came back to haunt. So, some systems were worse than other but if they game's above decent in other departments it takes me fucking 5 minutes to get used to it and then i just completely ignore it. Not codex, it seems. What's next on the schedule of complaints, are dropped items bio-degradable or should they stay on the ground you leave them on forever?
Look you... oh youre a newfag...

Anyway, forces of decline need to be countered and opposed. (a shitty system you get to ignore isnt really something that should be praised tolerated or overlooked, yeah?)

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
these niggers are getting awfully slack with their updates.

i was OK with once every 2 weeks; next one better be juicy or i'm not gonna do anything about it but bitch some more...

Lhynn

Arcane
Why does it feel like roguey is not into RPGs, just into games made by Sawyer that happen to be RPGs.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why does it feel like roguey is not into RPGs

Because that's exactly the case. Just an agent of decline. If there's anything that sucks, you can bet your ass Roguey likes and wants it in an RPG.

uaciaut

Augur
Surprised there can be this much complaining about inventory management, i mean i've never encountered a system that was so shitty that it stuck with me and came back to haunt. So, some systems were worse than other but if they game's above decent in other departments it takes me fucking 5 minutes to get used to it and then i just completely ignore it. Not codex, it seems. What's next on the schedule of complaints, are dropped items bio-degradable or should they stay on the ground you leave them on forever?
Look you... oh youre a newfag...

Anyway, forces of decline need to be countered and opposed. (a shitty system you get to ignore isnt really something that should be praised tolerated or overlooked, yeah?)

Ah yes, the newfag argument, you have me at a loss gentleman it seems i have to concede this battle to your unequivocal sense of logic and intelligent reasoning.

I'm no saying a shitty inventory system should be encouraged, but i've not encountered one that would irritate to any point in fucking forever, as long as you can fucking distinguish between items and it doesn't do some retarded shit (which i haven't seen any of) you can't fucking FAIL making an inventory system. Unless the players are literally half-braindead and drool on their fucking keyboards.

Lhynn

Arcane
You are going to be spending a good chunk of the game with the inventory, probably around 30% of your time, in ANY rpg you play this is true. It needs to be good, because it being so will increase your overall enjoyment of the game, even if you never, ever really notice it. Everything will shine brighter if the inventory is good.

hiver

Ah yes, the newfag argument, you have me at a loss gentleman it seems i have to concede this battle to your unequivocal sense of logic and intelligent reasoning.

I'm no saying a shitty inventory system should be encouraged, but i've not encountered one that would irritate to any point in fucking forever, as long as you can fucking distinguish between items and it doesn't do some retarded shit (which i haven't seen any of) you can't fucking FAIL making an inventory system. Unless the players are literally half-braindead and drool on their fucking keyboards.

dear newfag coleague, i am merely observing your joined date.

Which explains your wonderment at whats a tradition around these here parts. Not to mention that your complaints about "complaints" havent been reciprocated by any sort or kind of engaging, valuable or even minimalistic amount of positive thinking from you, rather just restating rather trifling simplistic statements already stated numerous times. Seeking to establish a foothold on the shores of truth by simply repeating itself as long as someone doesnt walk by and steps on it.

Your illicit expectation this would somehow bring any kind of result beneficial to yourself is also a symptom of your newfaggotry.

Furthermore, due to your newfaggotism you cannot even grasp that what you are saying is actually an encouragement of decline. Although indirect. If we are to feel generous and assume it is not a result of ... other things. But not any less worthy of correction.
The fact also is that you can indeed fail to make an inventory system - whose failure is not any less deep because there are people out there ready to disregard it and accept any manure thrown at them.
This fail is measured in degrees, of course, not in absolutes - precisely because people try and design them so they dont fail completely.
If we were to listen to your "logic" nobody would ever even need to try - which would result in what? Be so kind and extrapolate that in private.

Speaking of absolutes again... dont you think that your statement is eerily reminiscent of recent escapades of that other newfaggot in its very funny absolutist relativism?

Wait... I sense a correlation coming... oooohhhh
:lol:

uaciaut

Augur
Fair enough, if you deem talking about inventory systems worthy of 10 pages or so of circlejerking on what the best one is that's your choice, though i think it's more a symptom of people not getting and update and having to whine about something, anything they can. It's not something that will make or break a game for me (no way do i spend 30% of game time in fucking inventory btw) so i'll just wait till some update that's relevant to what i find important in a game hits.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Surprised there can be this much complaining about inventory management, i mean i've never encountered a system that was so shitty that it stuck with me and came back to haunt. So, some systems were worse than other but if they game's above decent in other departments it takes me fucking 5 minutes to get used to it and then i just completely ignore it. Not codex, it seems.
Yes, this is the RPG Codex afterall. We are a website entirely devoted to RPGs and discussing them, what the hell did you expect? We're on page 906 of a thread on a game that isn't even out yet, FFS!

What's next on the schedule of complaints, are dropped items bio-degradable or should they stay on the ground you leave them on forever?
Making a game world where every item is permanent is a big design decision bro, it changes a lot of things. In games like Ultima or Divine Divinity, that meant that players could use anywhere on the map to store items they would need and couldn't carry, leading some players to even take houses for themselves as storage and decorate them.

Good RPGs have a lot of thought behind them, just throwing in stuff because it works leads to shitty games that doesn't "come back to haunt anyone", but also are never played or discussed ever again.

hiver

Additionally, really, all of us got the newfag treatment. Its just a bit of ... growth through adversity.

Lhynn

Arcane
no way do i spend 30% of game time in fucking inventory btw
Yes, you do, you just dont notice it. But youll be navigating tru inventory and character sheet pretty much 1/3 of your time if you are playing a real rpg. And its cool, its one of the best parts of this genre.
Just think about it, when you are looting, when you are shooping, in the middle of the battle looking for consumables or ammo, before or after any special action with a % success rate that could be improved by changing gear, if the inventory is big then you will also either spend time organizing it or even more time looking for stuff in te mess.
If its half scree inventory then even more time, because youll spend a lot of your gaming time with it open and looking at it while playing.

uaciaut

Augur
Good RPGs have a lot of thought behind them, just throwing in stuff because it works leads to shitty games that doesn't "come back to haunt anyone", but also are never played or discussed ever again.

Of course this is true, there's just a very distinct priority list on what should be very well thought out, at least in my opinion.
How many games do you see are being talked about for ages because of their gameplay features or item management to be exact, and how many do you think are talked about for good storyline, excellent character writing and development, etc?
Of course at the end of day anyone wants a complete package so it would be nice to have a good inventory system as well, but again i've not seen a completely batshit retarded inventory system in a long time and as such i don't expect obisidian to do anything less than a decent one, don't really care how much better than "decent" it is.

Also could you really decorate them? Wowzerz

Lhynn

Arcane
Ive already adressed this on a post everyone ignore. But basically, stuff does not exist in a vacuum, every system, lore, characters, features, and even the U.I. should work together and reinforce the feeling of the game as a coherent whole.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I don't understand your point here
Let me try to be as didactic as I can. Bellow are 8 inventories, 4 of them are from Arcanum (Grid/Tetris style), 4 from SkyUI (List style). Each of these groups has similar amount of items, but only one shield each.

Now open the spoiler tab and see in which group is easier to find it.

qZNI8Jm.jpg
Get my point?

As a person who prefers lists to those ugly and disorganized grids (I think the only game in which I liked such and inventory is Resident Evil 4 because it was pretty small and only increased a little by the end of the game), I fully understand what you are saying in how easy it is to find that shield in the grid inventories.

However, I just wanted to say that that example of a list inventory is horrible as all hell. If the creator hadn't been lazy, armors, helmets, and shields would all have different icons and screen space not in use would have been massively reduced. If this was done, the lone shield icon (or the name of a particular shield) would have stuck out like a sore thumb just as easily as that massive shield symbol (I'm just more of a words person rather than visuals when trying to convey info).

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Fair enough, if you deem talking about inventory systems worthy of 10 pages or so of circlejerking on what the best one is that's your choice, though i think it's more a symptom of people not getting and update and having to whine about something, anything they can. It's not something that will make or break a game for me (no way do i spend 30% of game time in fucking inventory btw) so i'll just wait till some update that's relevant to what i find important in a game hits.

Speaking of which, where's a real fucking update, Josh Sawyer!!!?! I don't care about some dude who draws pants! Give me something real. This game ain't coming out for a long long time, is it? Ah well, back to not caring about it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
but again i've not seen a completely batshit retarded inventory system in a long time
Try vanilla Skyrim with keyboard an mouse.

This is my Divine Divinity "lair", complete with a throne that I stole from the King himself:

CxK3mwz.jpg

I could do it indoors, but camping right next to the town portal was more convenient....

uaciaut

Augur
This is my Divine Divinity "lair", complete with a throne that I stole from the King himself:

CxK3mwz.jpg

I could do it indoors, but camping right next to the town portal was more convenient....

Looks cozy. This is a prime example of why i don't think item decay is that important unless you're really into immersion.

Also to reply to:

I don't understand your point here
Let me try to be as didactic as I can. Bellow are 8 inventories, 4 of them are from Arcanum (Grid/Tetris style), 4 from SkyUI (List style). Each of these groups has similar amount of items, but only one shield each.

Now open the spoiler tab and see in which group is easier to find it.

qZNI8Jm.jpg
Get my point?

There's a specific enchanted ring you want to find.Open the spoiler tab and tell me in which group it's easier to find.

edit: god i'm being drawn in the vortex of complaining that is codex, okay you win it's easier to find wherever you want it to be D;

SophosTheWise

Cipher
JE Sawyer on one-button-functionality:

We are not limiting ourselves to one-button functionality.

The BG and IWD games made very little use of the right-click and most of it was redundant with other elements of the GUI. You could open inventories on characters with right-click (as you can in ours), but you could also do that by clicking on the inventory icon itself. You could cancel actions with right-click (as you can in PE), but you could also do that with the Escape key.

As long as there's a GUI element or other shortcut that allows redundancy, I have no problems with putting functionality on right-click; I just don't want to make it the only means of accessing that functionality.

And I've said this before, but I'll say it again: most Macs still come with a Mighty Mouse, which technically supports right-click functionality but may as well not because a) you need to enable it and b) it is terrible. It is, in fact, because we are making a game for the Mac that I think it is important that we do not rely heavily on right-click functionality without offering a GUI or keyboard shortcut.

Called it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So macfags still can't into 2 buttons and obviously sawyer is there to ram his dick in everyone's ass, because hey, everyone must be pleased

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Well, he seems to expand functionality rather than limit it. So I see no problem whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom