Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War II

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After the disaster that was Rome2 release I am more afraid than excited.

Granted expanding into fantasy and generally alternative worlds/settings will help them avoid repetition.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
UHbWa6Y.jpg

Warhammer Total war, it's happening!
No that just means he has WH installed on the same computer. Look at other directory names like Shogun 2.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
We knew already they are doing that:
screenshotvje.jpg

When you look at this add, you'd see ALL details.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Patch 5 and the game is still shit. New patches will come more slowly now but in the same message CA claim to already be working on patch 7. Okay. Perhaps the game will one day not be shit but it'll take some serious work. Not just regarding general bug stomping but also serious AI work and a long, hard look at many of the design decisions.

What a shit release.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Trash your picture suits your tag.

At least ROME2 is MUCH faster after three patches, and there are much fewer bugs. If you wanted complex game, you'd need to force them to offer me a position of developer to make proper rules and properly complex game system.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So I have a bit time so I can write what I meant.

Rome I had number of citizens in each province and recruiting from them could diminish them really quickly. Obviously losing few armies was costly not only in money, but also in economic power of provinces.

Another advantage Rome had over ancient countries was food availability and efficiency of making food. All barbarian countries were basically at subsidence, and not much else, and it wasn't only by different socioeconomic structure. The possibility to make enough food to free significant part of population simply wasn't here. (And also Rome had Egypt, which supplied it well.)

Another pivotal point which Rome 2 must emulate well is the conflict between Rome and Carthago. The war between rather well balanced superpowers affected the neighboring states by giving them breathing room, before winner's force turned on them. The problem is AI must at least provide appearance of two powers are heavily fighting with each other, but better to really fight hard against each other. The war should leave weakened both countries, and mere long term pursuit of that war should HEAVILY weaken both countries. However there are no rules for that, and it's not even implemented in the engine.
Another part where is needed a special AI, is the Sparta situation. In fact it should even have special rules to simulate well problems Sparta and other Greek countries had. The Greeks states were bags of flies, in relations between each other, and the standard like dislike Shogun 2 like AI simply doesn't cut it.

As AI programmer I know very well, as I did that, it should do what I call socio-political modeling. (And I also did psycho modeling, but that's important for RPGs, not for large scale strategies) Without the former, the whole intricate relationship web is nonexistent and all countries looks bland.

Yet another problem, this time not AI related, is lack of details. There are two types of lack of details. One of them lack of details in the system, but that would be for a two pages, and that would be better left for Romephiles. The second lack of details is related to environment and provinces. When you look at provinces in Rome 2, there is basically one city and nothing else to do. In contrast in Empire the country was littered by small towns, schools, manufactures, mines, ports all of which could be important. In Medieval 2, country had these merchant points. While it was somehow not too much, at least it provided some out of combat exercise. While in real live armies alse went to the point, a small raiding party could be PITA. In Rome 2 a small raiding party would be laughed off.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
The tiny settlements in the provinces may have seemed like a good idea on paper, but in practice they were horrible. They just attracted suicide raiding squads that wrecked your economy while you had to send your armies to play whack-a-mole against one-or two-unit stacks. And to add insult to injury, if only 30 soldiers out of the 250 raiders survived, they would still come back and haunt you next turn by burning your farms again. That was OK as long as your empire didn't sprawl all over the map, but having to keep track of every single tiny building you had to rebuild each turn was a major pain.

Now I know Rome 2 is shit, but I almost prefer the abstract "raiding stance" to represent foraging off the enemy's land rather than derpy "hurr hurr I walked one unit into your farm, whatcha gonna do about it"

Brinko

Arcane
http://pixeledcourier.com/2013/10/21/total-war-fans-lay-siege-to-development-studio/
Developer reportedly regrets asking “How far are you willing to go for Rome?”

BRIGHTON, BRITANNIA— Several employees at The Creative Assembly, the studio behind the Total War-franchise, were inconvenienced this morning as furious members of the Total War-community laid siege to their offices. The reason behind the siege being the unfinished condition of the recently released Rome II: Total War.

“They think their post-release bug fixes are enough to stop us. They should think again!” a representative from the Total War-community told a crowd of cheering Real-Time Strategy-devotees. “The Gods will favor those who mod the game themselves, so take up your map-editors and prepare!”

Pixeled Courier managed to contact the community coordinator for Rome II, Will Overgard, by phone, who informed our journalist that he considers the situation to be problematic, but manageable. “We got used to being besieged by fans after the release of Empire: Total War. We’ve gathered plenty of food, so that we are prepared even if they block our trade routes until winter.”

While development on next year’s Total War-game continues as planned, Overgard stresses that the Creative Assembly-team will take ruthless action, should the fans attempt to assault or sack their studio. “If the community approaches our gates, our patches will rain upon them from the open skies, leaving them to the mercy of the Steam download manager.”

However, an administrator from the official Total War forum seemed to think victory was within reach, even after being confronted with Overgard’s statements. “It’s true that in the old times our Creative Assembly-sieges would last for days, even years, but after Rome II was released we have been given new and explosive torches that can easily blow the studio doors wide open! When this is done, we will take their resources and enslave the developers.”

According to our sources, The Creative Assembly is currently being enslaved by SEGA.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Can't wait for the epic butthurt after they reskin the Suebi and try to sell them as a "Germanic culture pack". Chatti! Cherusci! They're Suebi painted in different colors and with a unique unit or two! Get'em while they're hot!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Goddammit, it won't let me add the free DLC to my Steam account because I don't own the game. :lol:

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
The tiny settlements in the provinces may have seemed like a good idea on paper, but in practice they were horrible. They just attracted suicide raiding squads that wrecked your economy while you had to send your armies to play whack-a-mole against one-or two-unit stacks. And to add insult to injury, if only 30 soldiers out of the 250 raiders survived, they would still come back and haunt you next turn by burning your farms again. That was OK as long as your empire didn't sprawl all over the map, but having to keep track of every single tiny building you had to rebuild each turn was a major pain.

Now I know Rome 2 is shit, but I almost prefer the abstract "raiding stance" to represent foraging off the enemy's land rather than derpy "hurr hurr I walked one unit into your farm, whatcha gonna do about it"
holy shit, pop-a-mole strategy game turning!?

unfortunately as I am a masochist I will probably still get the gold edition....

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...announced!&p=13356469&viewfull=1#post13356469

Some simmers of rage but not the roaring fire I was hoping for. I can only hope that when they start dumping unit packs it breaks the game as horribly as Shogun 2. You buy it or you can't compete with the fuckers in MP because the units are broken as fuck and at the same time it breaks the campaign AI because it sees these units as amazing and can't help itself and thus cannot adequately adapt to the player.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It will be 0,49 in some sale in the future,still the timing of release is just retarded.Hope Japan collapse soon so we get rid of Sega forever.They sunk their teeths in some of my most beloved games.

Last edited:

aris

Arcane
  1. You could say it's the same kind of DLC that they sell in PoE. Cosmetical, not gameplay related.
  2. I agree it's fucking stupid though.
  3. But it's not new, it was the same thing with shogun 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom