Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Paper Sorcerer Released

V_K

Arcane
Jesus, it's really not that bad. You must live in a goddamn cave the entire day if you think this is an eyesore.

Actually, the game's graphics should seem very familiar to cave dwellers, particularly if their cave has yellow-ish walls.
Actually, no, cave art was rather colourful - totally not unlike Grimoire (which makes sense, being made by a self-proclaimed neanderthal)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played a bit and got up to the second block. I had fun so far, but the combat is a bit repetitive. Maybe I need to play a bit more, but there's not much variety in the way of combat so far. Still, I can't complain. It's pretty good for the $5 paid for it.

V_K

Arcane
I played a bit and got up to the second block. I had fun so far, but the combat is a bit repetitive. Maybe I need to play a bit more, but there's not much variety in the way of combat so far. Still, I can't complain. It's pretty good for the $5 paid for it.
Well, there's only so much you can do with blobber setup. But you'll get some more diverse skills later. As will the enemies.
At least it's not trash mobs after trash mobs after trash mobs like in some NextGen ARPGs.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not interested in this, this is just a complete eyesore, I certainly will never stare at this for hours on end. What was he thinking? It's like the FPS from ex-Monolith guys, only the Monolith guys had enough sense to remove it.

Well, I think the black on beige colors are much more soothing and less eye-blindingly harsh than the black and stark white of Betrayer.

Mortmal

Arcane

You get slowly more and more options, enemies using more magic and status ailments later.As far as blobber goes its one of the most sophisticated ones , the fact theres not a random encounter at every single step is appreciable too .
I had to restart it all from the beggining as with v1.3 it wouldnt load my old saves so i cant tell about end game yet, crossing finger i wont encounter another nasty gamebreaking bug past block 8 , as no one was able to finish it.

He's not yet worked on the eye soreness bug, though.

At least provide an option for those who just this just plain too annoying to deal with.

The only things i dont really like are the plain black shadows on some of the dungeon walls, but the art direction is really good in this game and coherent.This is similar to "play your own adventure" book's artwork , lonewolf and co.

Mortmal

Arcane
I had to restart it all from the beggining as with v1.3 it wouldnt load my old saves
I take it this save incompatibility an incentive to try a different party formation, which I probably wouldn't do otherwise ;).

You can say it like this yes, i'd rather say that picking a few meth addict and hobos in the street and tell them to be part of your closed test group does not equal quality insurance.

V_K

Arcane
You can say it like this yes, i'd rather say that picking a few meth addict and hobos in the street and tell them to be part of your closed test group does not equal quality insurance.
Cut the man some slack, he's a sole developer working on a shoestring budget. And compared to disasters like RoA HD or Legends of Dawn I'd say PS was rather stable :troll:.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Great deal for five dollars. Reminds me of some older games where sometimes the unexpected would/might happen.

I would have liked it better with more colors but I won't complain for a fiver.

V_K

Arcane
For what it's worth, the latest build also claims to have fixed "all major issues".
So far it seems so - skills do not reset and summons get resurrected as expected.
It's still possible to get trapped behind a secret door on reload, but I wouldn't call it that major an issue (EDIT: I'm wrong, at least a couple of them now have exit switches).

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Cut the man some slack, he's a sole developer working on a shoestring budget. And compared to disasters like RoA HD or Legends of Dawn I'd say PS was rather stable :troll:.

5000$ budget, one man, its certainly a miracle it happened at all , but next time i'd rather pay a little more and get the game tested before. It took only a few days to fix all majors issues,those were obvious after only a few hours of gameplay, indeed skills arent reseting and resurrection is working.

Its a fantastic game clearly targeted at the oldschool codex crowd :obviously::

SvdCgv5.jpg

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Clearly the guy lurks here at the very least. The game is over a year late but I'm glad he pulled it off. That bug stress on release day feels oddly familiar so I won't be casting any stones :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The style seems somewhat similar to The Dark Spire, which I loved.
I'll probably get it. The enchanted monocle reference is what convinced me. :cool:

Zetor

Arcane
This game... looks relevant to my interests. Return of not-Werdna? Sign me up!

Out of curiosity, what makes combat repetitive? The trailer says there is no grinding, and each encounter is supposed to be unique(ish). Do you just use the same abilities (or a set of 'optimal' summons) for everything?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Note that I have only played up to the second block so far, so I'm not far in, but for me it feels like every fight plays out the exact same and I never have to vary my tactics. It doesn't help that all the enemies I've encountered so far were melee enemies.

I expect it will get better the further I play, but I haven't had a chance to play again. It's still a great game, though.

Mortmal

Arcane
This game... looks relevant to my interests. Return of not-Werdna? Sign me up!

Out of curiosity, what makes combat repetitive? The trailer says there is no grinding, and each encounter is supposed to be unique(ish). Do you just use the same abilities (or a set of 'optimal' summons) for everything?

Theres no grinding, a few encounters hand placed at each level, theres random encounter but only in the the optional 9 level dungeon. The summons are very diverse,you start with 3 summons and eventually you will unlock a few more.

Ill give you an example of an encounter. When resting in town you can listen to npc rumors, one of them talk of some adventurer in love guarding block 5 , you end up meeting them :

EgQLwFZ.png

This is the party setup i am using I would suggest picking a non gear dependant summon at the beggining like werewolf or ghost(strangely an awesome tank) as it will make things much easier, other classes like vampire who can equip a full se tof gear shines only later. Its not obvious to make a good party you cant immediately see the sinergy between summons ,skills are slowly unlocked when leveling, so a summon that may seems basic may end up an awesome asset with crippling abilities like silence or paralyze .

In this case the golbin cripple the fighter making him unable to attack, the ghost silence the caster and put on them both nasty curses.My sorcerer has magi boosted up by the town skill trainer,and dealing the damage . Vampire is the healer sacrificing his own hp to heal party and then draining with spells and sword attack.

The attack animations are a nice touch compare to usual blobbers:
0W3lcvi.png

The icing on the cake is that after defeating them you can loot their rooms and read their romance letters, killing adventurers invovled in a very biowarish romance how could it be any better ? :)
This may be a 5$ game but dont discard it like a facebook app or android shovelware, this is one of the best rpg of those last years.

Zetor

Arcane
Took the plunge on this... definitely worth the price. The art style is really good; fits the theme, too. I actually wish this was out for android already so I could put it on my tablet!

The game text is in need of an editing / grammar pass, but I'll let that slide due to the entire one-man-dev-team thing.

V_K

Arcane
Okay, so I finished the latest bug-free build, and you know what - it has the best ending I've seen in RPG in years (if not ever)! Simply brilliant!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just started playing this. Got a couple questions:

Does energy self-regen only during battles, between each turn? When out of battle, you need to use items to regen it?

Also, how do I know which attacks and skills use the "Strength" stat, and which use the "Magic" stat?

V_K

Arcane
Just started playing this. Got a couple questions:

Does energy self-regen only during battles, between each turn? When out of battle, you need to use items to regen it?
In the first block - yes, then you'll get to the town, where you can rest.
You'll also get some skills that help regen it faster in a short while

Also, how do I know which attacks and skills use the "Strength" stat, and which use the "Magic" stat?
That's actually a good question. I'll ask the developer. But I think you can generally act on the assumption that caster classes (sorcerer, imp, witch) use magic for their skills, while melee classes (minotaur, abomination) use strength. EDIT: oh, I see you've already asked it on the bug forum.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay, so I finished the latest bug-free build, and you know what - it has the best ending I've seen in RPG in years (if not ever)! Simply brilliant!

You played Summoning?

So far this game had best ending in RPGs for me.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Why do people say this? The Summoning's endgame was particularly tropey and cliched, and completely disregards/contradicts the short story in the manual.

You saw all endings?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom