Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
all I care about is graphics and big world immersion. If they went the extra mile and threw in a few love interests all the better.

I want a house, a base, vehicles and different unique outfits and craftables. I also want a more varied character creator. IMMERSHUN DAMN IT!

Newfag-er

Liturgist
I expect them to "ride the skyrim wave" where it counts, map size, explorability, and all that open world shit. The RPG elements, c&c, characters, and writing on the other hand, received no praise, and are generally disliked by reviewers(Whose opinions Bethesda values.). It would be stupid of them to implement badly received aspects of the game because it sold a lot.
Bethesda customers generally don't like c&c, or at least a good number of them don't. They don't like the game "preventing them from doing things". They believe a player should be able to experience the entire game in one playthrough.

They could upgrade the writing, and that would probably be well received, but if they were able to put forward good writing, would they already be doing it?

Thing is, limiting reactivity in an open world game also severely limits how well you could possible write the thing. Once you start giving people reasonable motivation and character, it soon follows that they need to react to how you're doing things. Think about how ridicoulously evil and sociopathic you can be in Skyrim without sensible companions reacting and how glaring that is. That's not the writing's fault, it's that you can't do good writing here without the companion actually reacting to you being a sociopathic mass murderer. In a way, companions being more writing-focused in Skyrim is way more destructive for that game's consistency that a silent companion without a character would have been.

Not a problem in a linear game where your choices are limited.

I can't really wrap my head around the concept of "good writing" existing in a Disneyland like that (Skyrim, for example). All dialogue is basically exposition and/or the guy who maintains a given ride presenting the ride to you. There's not much leeway for actual writing there.

Then what is Morrowind I ask......

Though to be fair though, alot of mainstream didn't like Morrowind for this exact reason

Edit: and judging from the codex, even non-mainstream

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I expect them to "ride the skyrim wave" where it counts, map size, explorability, and all that open world shit. The RPG elements, c&c, characters, and writing on the other hand, received no praise, and are generally disliked by reviewers(Whose opinions Bethesda values.). It would be stupid of them to implement badly received aspects of the game because it sold a lot.
Bethesda customers generally don't like c&c, or at least a good number of them don't. They don't like the game "preventing them from doing things". They believe a player should be able to experience the entire game in one playthrough.

They could upgrade the writing, and that would probably be well received, but if they were able to put forward good writing, would they already be doing it?

Thing is, limiting reactivity in an open world game also severely limits how well you could possible write the thing. Once you start giving people reasonable motivation and character, it soon follows that they need to react to how you're doing things. Think about how ridicoulously evil and sociopathic you can be in Skyrim without sensible companions reacting and how glaring that is. That's not the writing's fault, it's that you can't do good writing here without the companion actually reacting to you being a sociopathic mass murderer. In a way, companions being more writing-focused in Skyrim is way more destructive for that game's consistency that a silent companion without a character would have been.

Not a problem in a linear game where your choices are limited.

I can't really wrap my head around the concept of "good writing" existing in a Disneyland like that (Skyrim, for example). All dialogue is basically exposition and/or the guy who maintains a given ride presenting the ride to you. There's not much leeway for actual writing there.

Then what is Morrowind I ask......

Not well-written?

Random

Arcane
Patron
All I ask for in Fallout 4 is non-retarded character animations. Come on, Bethesda, you have the technology, the manpower, and the money to do it. All you have to do is try.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Not well-written?

Probably true, though writing is fairly subjective, but it's definitely a game that have all those c&c things your looking for. (though how much that too, is entirely subjective. But it's there)

@post above
Consoliltte my friend, consolitte.

And it usually comes at a price, the modding community will probably take a hit first of all.

In my conclusion, I think/and somehow I hope this actually will be Bethesda usual affair. And let Wasteland 2 fill the actual superior codexian void. :dance:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
If you try to write PS:T or MotB standard characters, then yeah, you'll fail badly. The better way is to deal in factions. In other words, treat factions as characters. When you let the player interact with those factions via some reputation mechanics, you can get some nice c&c going. You'd still want to flesh out some important npcs, though.

Exactly. I think factions are the way to go in open-world RPGs like Bethesda's. And when I say factions, I mean more than just two.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
http://thesurvivor2299.com/

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=thesurvivor2299.com

The site itself is a blank screen. IT'S BEEPING! Could it be Morse code? (They have used Morse code in Fallout 3, so it wouldn't be farfetched)

First of all "The Survivor" feels like the title of a Fallout protagonist (Vault Dweller, Chosen One, Lone Wanderer, Courier). Secondly the year 2299 is a very likely year for Fallout 4 to take place in.

Further proof:

Site contains fallout.js script, but it's empty as of yet.

Also a big thanks to the lovely people over at /r/fallout. I'm just passing along the information.

Edit:

This is the original post on /r/fallout.

Edit2:

Once the Morse code has been cracked I'll put it here in the OP! If anyone can crack it please post it in the comments.

People are saying the Morse code is 11.12.13. That can't mean December 11th 2013, since Bethesda is American and use (M/D/Y) and besides it's way too soon. It could be the date for the big announcement though, but it'd still be weird for them to use (D/M/Y).

Found at Reddit. Probably a fake but at least it has more effort than the rest.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
All I ask for in Fallout 4 is non-retarded character animations. Come on, Bethesda, you have the technology, the manpower, and the money to do it. All you have to do is try.

Don't set your standards too high!

Seerix

Arbiter
Intriguing piece of information, Turisas. The site is registered by Zenimax so it can't be fake, I think.

People are saying the Morse code is 11.12.13. That can't mean December 11th 2013, since Bethesda is American and use (M/D/Y) and besides it's way too soon. It could be the date for the big announcement though, but it'd still be weird for them to use (D/M/Y).

It does makes sense if they just wanted to show the date numbers in increasing order.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The site is registered by Zenimax so it can't be fake, I think.

Godaddy's a weird choice of registrar, and one they've never used before. And most damning of all:

Domain name resolves to 5.133.13.121 which has a reverse lookup of d13121.vibiznes.pl and that's some hosting company in Poland.

Does Bethesda use random Polish hosting companies? See: http://vibiznes.pl/

Edit: The source of the hoax being in Poland would explain the D/M/Y formatting of the morse code. Whoever rigged this thing up probably didn't even think to convert to M/D/Y which is the style of date an American person/company would use.

Ok fess up, which one of you potatos was it? :lol:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda promised Radiant AI in Oblivion - where generic characters should act and react just like humans, with suspicion, fear, friendly etc.

The most facepalm-worthy fact isn't that they didn't delivered on what they promised, it is the fact that a completely unknown developer, with a fraction of Bethesda's budget, accomplished just that 5 years earlier with a game called Gothic 1.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thank the Bethesda marketing department for that. Which is most likely staffed by high schoolers. 11-11-11 was also their idea.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Seerix

Arbiter
It's a rule of cool, 2299 sounds fucking awesome! :roll:

That and it's pretty meaningless anyway, it'll be another toxic waste junkyard regardless of how much time will pass. And hey, changing date is probably like the easiet thing a mod could fix, though I'm not sure if anybody ever bothered with one for previous games...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are the skiping that far in teh timeline again? I thought it was kind of agreed within both Interplay and Bethesda that the Fallout 1-2 timeskip was a bit too much and from now on they would do smaller, slower timeskips, like ten years?

That's not a large skip from Fallout 3.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why are the skiping that far in teh timeline again? I thought it was kind of agreed within both Interplay and Bethesda that the Fallout 1-2 timeskip was a bit too much and from now on they would do smaller, slower timeskips, like ten years?

Avoiding continuity issues.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-elder-scrolls-studio-trademarks-void-engine/1100-6416178/

Bethesda parent company Zenimax has filed a trademark application for "Void Engine Powered by Id Tech," suggesting the company has created an all-new game engine. The news comes as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are soon to be released, though it is unclear if the new engine is related to the next-generation systems.

Might not even be related to Bethesda's games, but who knows.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-elder-scrolls-studio-trademarks-void-engine/1100-6416178/

Bethesda parent company Zenimax has filed a trademark application for "Void Engine Powered by Id Tech," suggesting the company has created an all-new game engine. The news comes as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are soon to be released, though it is unclear if the new engine is related to the next-generation systems.

Might not even be related to Bethesda's games, but who knows.

Well, it would certainly be nice if it wasn't yet again re-branded Gamebryo engine.

Seerix

Arbiter
Void Engine, huh? Creation Engine... Void Engine.. sounds kind of similar but it's just my wishful thinking. Especially since apparently Bethesda is supposed to make open sandboxy actiony rpg engine out of Id Tech which is designed for corridor shooters. Not that it's not possible, maybe that's why Zenimax decided to shut down further development of Skyrim, to direct more funds and manpower toward Fallout 4. If that is true, it may not have mod support, being really new engine and all that(or at least no easy mod support, there is some SDK for Id Tech 5 but it's supposedly total pos to work with) and butthurt from that will be glorious.

Krash

Arcane

Pretty hilarious how bad it is when you compare to say Overgrowth.

No, actually it's just sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom