Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Question: Is "save scumming" less common among console gamers?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the title says. Since console games have supported the norm of "save anywhere, restore anywhere" for a much shorter time period, and even today many of them don't, do console gamers strategically save/restore less often than PC gamers do? Is saving and loading altogether less of a "thing" in console games, even in games that support it fully?

(I haven't seriously played a console game for, like, decades, so I have no idea about this.)

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
What the title says. Since console games have supported the norm of "save anywhere, restore anywhere" for a much shorter time period, and even today many of them don't, do console gamers strategically save/restore less often than PC gamers do? Is saving and loading altogether less of a "thing" in console games, even in games that support it fully?

(I haven't seriously played a console game for, like, decades, so I have no idea about this.)
Checkpoints/Thread. One could argue that checkpoints are way shorter/less punishing nowadays if compared to the older days.

Don't know, don't care.
You should make a thread about all the things you don't know and don't care. You don't know what you don't know,etc

Depends on what you call savescumming. Quicksaving in the middle of a fight? Well no, consoles don't let you do that often. Consoles enforce finishing a dungeon or area all at once a lot more often.

On the other hand, if you consider savescumming to be reloading to re-do a fight to get a better outcome, such a situation essentially doesn't exist because with auto-regen of health and associated gameplay mechanics, there is no sub optimal outcome. e.g., no modern FPS is going to attrition you to death or trick you into wasting ammo that you needed later like a proper shooter would, and most AAA RPGs will follow the same route.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends on what you call savescumming. Quicksaving in the middle of a fight? Well no, consoles don't let you do that often. Consoles enforce finishing a dungeon or area all at once a lot more often.

On the other hand, if you consider savescumming to be reloading to re-do a fight to get a better outcome, such a situation essentially doesn't exist because with auto-regen of health and associated gameplay mechanics, there is no sub optimal outcome. e.g., no modern FPS is going to attrition you to death or trick you into wasting ammo that you needed later like a proper shooter would, and most AAA RPGs will follow the same route.

Well, consider for instance lockpicking minigames in a Bethesda title. Those expend resources, so saving and loading until you get them on your "first try" might be something people do.

Another question: Is saving and loading typically SLOWER on consoles? That would be another reason to avoid it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, saving and loading is horribly slow on consoles. God, Dragon's Dogma takes like a minute to save, and even more to load, and the Final Fantasies aren't much better... for obvious reasons I've never played Skyrim on a console, and that's the most "scum-saving-friendly" game I can think about, but overall there isn't even C&C or significant waste of resources on console games for you to even care of think about doing so...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Only casual PC shits savescum. Now, excuse me while i play this emulated game with save states.

Lockpicks are cheap enough that I'm pretty sure no one would care except the super OCDs, and that goes for both PC and Consoles. For a more risky activity like stealing, I'm pretty sure both platforms are going to save before reaching their hands in to tickle Nord King whatshisname's balls. Though you might argue that console players are less likely to thieve on a mass scale or something.

Don't play many console games, but generally saving itself doesn't interrupt gameplay. What does is that you don't have a quicksave button, you need to go to a menu and manually save. Loading is slower but load times are much less interruptive than save times to gameplay.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think save-scumming is less frequent on consoles. And yeah, load times are generally longer on consoles. Some are unbearably long, like Skyrim PS3 (it feels like you could finish another RPG in the time that Skyrim loads). So that's probably part of the reason.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Of course it it. Because let's face it - how many console games allow you to manual save? I remember only one (that I've played) and it's console version of the Two Worlds.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Saga Frontier has manual saves. It also allows you to avoid combat if you are skilled/lucky at maneuvering around mobs on the main screen. If they touch you it initiates the phase-based combat. The game replenishes HP after every battle, but if a character is knocked out a LP is taken from their small pool of LPs and each time they are attacked while down takes away LP. LP can only be replenished in towns or with rare consumables. Some enemies have special attacks that bypass HP and directly reduce LP, including some optional and plot bosses. I think an enemy or character is permanently dead if their LP reaches 0, too.

I would reload saves when a characters LP hits 0 in a dungeon. This can happen often as a lot of enemies can knock out 1 or more party members in 1-2 phases later in the game.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course you save; saved before taking on Dragon, got used like his bitch, reloaded did quests to get training and magic resistance, used better tactics and whacked him. This is what saves are for to save your time and tedious replaying for hours when you make a mistake. Not to mention games are atrociously bugged and unstable those days and you can always can have Blackout and your last auto save be corrupted.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Console games force checkpoints on the players, that equally rival save scumming; the major difference is that they are forced on the playerbase by the developer, so that even retards can beat their games, while PC players have the option to play without save scumming.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What kind of console games are we talking about in here ?

Because as far as i'm concerned, with current games, there is no point in saving considering that, yes, checkpoints and yes, autosaves. Also, most of them are designed so that the difficult bits only require you to die twice before getting it right.

On the earlier PS1&2 days, it was pretty much save at every save point, because they would often indicate a nearby boss.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh look, an interesting thread, in the console gaming forum, filled by retards talking about how they don't care. Well done, fair Codexia, set your ambitions lower and lower.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a better question. Why is save scumming bad? If I want to save every 10 seconds, and reload if something goes wrong, let me do it. It is my game, I want to do whatever want with it. And let me tell you, I'd rather save and reload every minute, than replay 10 minutes of the game just becaue the last checkpoint was far back.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Cuz unless you are forced to replay the same shitty 30 minutes in a crappy action game 100 times - you are not leet enough

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom