Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Rake
I didn't know that so many people were butthurt over the spirit meter. :(
Hated it with passion to the point I dropped the game after half an hour of playing with that shit. Rediscovered the true greatness of MotB only after I decided to try it again with "turn off spirit meter" console command. But at the start this feature alone ruined first expression.

With Satiate some xp loss (or -ve levels for some time if low xp) allows you to survive as a last ditch. The gameplay urgency meshes nicely with the narrative of impeding doom. Most other games with a race against time to cure some deadly curse usually feels :retarded: as you can larp around for hundreds of hours. Also i quite liked how resting was restricted, so you know you actually had to think and use consumables if you played a caster.

Buzzword: Absence of Spirit Meter would cause a lot of ludo-narrative dissonance

Athelas

Arcane
Audio logs are one of the most mind-boggingly stupid ways to handle storytelling. It implies a world where people routinely record a dozen of lines of dialogue for no reason on the equivalent of an audio USB device and just leave it lying around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, theory.

The Bioshock "B-Studio", 2K Marin, the guys that made Bioshock 2, is apparently shut down or in the process of being shut down.

Obsidian's secret project? Bioshock spin-off game.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Notice the aureola surrounding Avellone
:what:
Yeah, corona is a much better word that doesn't get confused with tits (areola).

I believe the most appropriate term in this case would be "halo", despite its popamole connotations.

Also ban Space Satan, etc.

On the contrary, aureola most accurately describes the phenomenon that envelops Avellone.

FFS, learn Latin philistines.

:troll:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's like a time limit in Fallout 1 or time limit in Dead Rising 2. Or like playing a Super Meat Boy level where wall of saws is moving behind you. Absolutely kills any motivation to pay attention to the real RPG elements, writing and other truly valuable aspects of the game for me. After turning it off I enjoyed the game to the fullest.
It's nowhere near that restrictive.

Anyways, Vince D Weller explains it better than I ever could: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=159

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
OK, theory.

The Bioshock "B-Studio", 2K Marin, the guys that made Bioshock 2, is apparently shut down or in the process of being shut down.

Good. So he can make all the enviromental storyteling he wants to get it out of his system in a game i care nothing about.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny because Obsidian's game actually such at environmental storytelling, New Vegas is probably the only one to use it to any effect.

(I've never played NWN2 OC or DS3, so they could be environmental storytelling masterpieces for all I know)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It's no where near that restrictive.
Anyways, Vince D Weller explains it better than I ever could: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=159
It's not a matter of how restrictive it is, it's more about the fact that the timer is there. Like BG2 thieves guild you got. It was easier to say "to hell with that!" than go back on regular basis just to click on that NPC to give him money. I would rather suffer 50% stat penalty as a curse effect right from the start and till the end of the game rather than play with 100% stats but with that timer ticking.

tuluse

Arcane
It's not a matter of how restrictive it is, it's more about the fact that the timer is there. Like BG2 thieves guild you got. It was easier to say "to hell with that!" than go back on regular basis just to click on that NPC to give him money. I would rather suffer 50% stat penalty as a curse effect right from the start and till the end of the game rather than play with 100% stats but with that timer ticking.
That's a really unfortunate personality quirk you have.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
my hype train is pumping out massive steam; really like what i see so far.

also, you jaded niggers shouldn't hate on BioShock: Infinite so much...aside from being yet another popamole shooter it does have a kewl story, better than most you'll find in any modern AAAAAAAA budget game.

you shouldn't slut shame games that try, you should gay bash the shit that doesn't.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

also, you jaded niggers shouldn't hate on BioShock: Infinite so much...aside from being yet another popamole shooter it does have a kewl story, better than most you'll find in any modern AAAAAAAA budget game.

you shouldn't slut shame games that try, you should gay bash the shit that doesn't.

Well, yes and no. Infinite cuts way to many gameplay-corners for me to agree with that shit.

Lancehead

Liturgist
OK, theory.

Good. So he can make all the enviromental storyteling he wants to get it out of his system in a game i care nothing about.
When you examine something in Fallout to get a description, it's a form of environmental story-telling. In tpp/fpp games, this is generally done through visual communication (e.g. Half-Life). I imagine this visual aspect of it is what MCA is fascinated with.

So, yeah, it's not some popamole thing to be treated as taboo.

tuluse

Arcane
Fallout is one of the best environmental storytelling games ever. Basically every visual in the game reinforces the themes or adds detail to the setting or characters.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

But Infinite was even a decline within the Bioshock series. More boring world, less exploration and therefore poorer environmental storytelling, greater segregation of gameplay and story, etc... Not to mention the gameplay was severely dumbed down from the previous two games, and those games already weren't the most intellectually stimulating FPSes around.

As far as MCA praising Binfinite, that's just what game devs do when a game gets that much commercial and critical success. Brian Fargo said he was impressed with that game as well. Ken Levine is doing everything right, if judged on the metrics that AAA developers and publishers look at: huge profits, 95+ metacritic... Avellone and Fargo probably do see the glaring flaws, but the mass market doesn't seem to care or even notice, so who are they to say it's anything but a smashing success?

Ninjerk

Arcane
For those who didn't watch the video: Final Fantasy 7 directly influenced PS:T. TAKE THAT MOTHERFUCKERS

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As far as MCA praising Binfinite, that's just what game devs do when a game gets that much commercial and critical success.

You realize PS:T and BioShock: Infinite are pretty comparable right? I'm pretty sure Chris loved Infinite very much. The only reason I give PS:T a pass gameplay-wise is that it tried and failed and contains a reactivity layer, and combat is a much bigger part of Infinite. Infinite doesn't even try. The rest I agree with.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
PST only forces you to do 3 fights I believe, and the conclusion of the story makes sense.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Torment was a long, complicated story about an ugly, morally gray protagonist in a grotesque and bizarre world. Infinite is an interactive action movie about rescuing a princess from a themepark in the sky.

Neither game had good combat, but Infinite is like 80% bad combat, whereas that's only a small part of Torment.

I don't really see how they're comparable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom