Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The Dark Knight is objectively a great movie, whether you like the themes and subject matter or not (I don't, and I personally don't like the movie that much).

Josh is hipstering when he criticizes it, unless he attacks it for length and the few superflous scenes it has (which is legitimate criticism).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DK is good, DKR kinda sucked.

He payed $10 just so he could. Granted I payed $10 to read his responses and I have not even read any other SA thread, but yeah I'm not paying an extra $10.

Actually, we're talking about YCS here, not SA.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I paid more than $10 for SA. I needed archives and search. :P

The Dark Knight is objectively a great movie, whether you like the themes and subject matter or not (I don't, and I personally don't like the movie that much).

Josh is hipstering when he criticizes it, unless he attacks it for length and the few superflous scenes it has (which is legitimate criticism).
http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/351894182060646775
I responded in the comments section of the original question, but with the Batman films, it's essentially due to the blunt exposition and lack of subtext. In The Dark Knight, almost every major character explicitly describes his or her role in the film (e.g. "I am an agent of chaos."). If you didn't catch what was happening at the end, Commissioner Gordon explains it to his child. The only real reason to include this sort of exposition is if you think your audience is as clueless as Gordon's kid.

The characterization is fine, it's just shallow. You pretty much get everything you ever need to get out of any given character from what they say, which I find uninteresting as a viewer. Characters like the Joker also don't interest me very much. They fall into the category of "just plain ol' zany". The performances were very good, but I didn't enjoy the writing at all.

I enjoyed The Prestige a great deal despite the heavy exposition, in part because I felt the characters were easier to relate to. I liked Batman Begins well enough, but by the end of The Dark Knight, I was over the series.
Keys to understanding Josh: Hates being talked down to, loves believable characters, hates unbelievable ones unless they exist in a really out-there setting like Planescape.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, in essence: "Film is great but I didn't like it." Which, y'know, is okay. Pretty pussy of him to equip his personal opinion as a shield, though.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I liked The Prestige more than The Dark Knight as well. The Illusionist was also good.

And yeah, Oldboy is awesome, if we mean the original Korean one. I haven't seen the American remake (was it even released already?)

Fuck the remake. That will be put on my "never watch" lists. Just like Game of Thrones Season 4.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And also has Christian Bale acting in it. So ?

They're both about "Magic-y" stuff. I watched both of them back to back so that was the first thing that popped into my head.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Prestige and Illusionist were often comapred because they came out almost at the same time and had similar themes, but they are in different genres (Illusionist does not have any fantasy elements). And Josh is right that Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight. So is Inception.

Rake

Arcane
Josh said:
1: You don't pay for the gameplay. That is not why people buy the game. They buy it for the story, which you seem unable to comprehend. Because of this, the gameplay CAN be just a filler.
What the hell.
[screams internally]

God, i love that quote. I imagine Sawyer banging his head on the keyboard.... :lol:
Put it in your sig Roguey

Sensuki

Arcane
The Prestige and Illusionist were often comapred because they came out almost at the same time and had similar themes, but they are in different genres (Illusionist does not have any fantasy elements). And Josh is right that Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight. So is Inception.

I think I enjoyed the Dark Knight more simply because it was less of a "Blockbuster" plot, felt more like the Batman I remember from childhood, whereas the first one I was like ... wtf is this shit (even though it's actually real batman stuff).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How was DK less of a blockbuster than BB?

fake edit:
Ok, You know what, forget it. Let's not derail this thread with any more Batman discussion. Especially that the question of which Batman movie someone likes slightly better is pretty insignificant.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I responded in the comments section of the original question, but with the Batman films, it's essentially due to the blunt exposition and lack of subtext. In The Dark Knight, almost every major character explicitly describes his or her role in the film (e.g. "I am an agent of chaos."). If you didn't catch what was happening at the end, Commissioner Gordon explains it to his child. The only real reason to include this sort of exposition is if you think your audience is as clueless as Gordon's kid.

Now, now Josh, the movie director has an obligation to make the movie more "welcoming" to the moviegoers that are just plain bad at understanding/following movie plots, if they don't "get" the plot, the movie director failed at his job, it's as simple as that.

Keys to understanding Josh: Hates being talked down to, loves believable characters, hates unbelievable ones unless they exist in a really out-there setting like Planescape.

Sorry, I don't believe that, not even if Josh were to outright state it, often moviegoers say they want one thing when in reality they want something completely else, (competent) movie directors have no illusion about that and act accordingly.

For example, my dumb jock friend who almost exclusively watches big budget Hollywood blockbusters loves it when the movie goes out of its way to help him understand the plot, I'm sure Josh is the same (he's just being dishonest).

Sensuki

Arcane

Now, now Josh, the movie director has an obligation to make the movie more "welcoming" to the moviegoers that are just plain bad at understanding/following movie plots, if they don't "get" the plot, the movie director failed at his job, it's as simple as that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Someone should send that to him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://badgame.net/index.php?topic=21139.0

Ubhjyww.png

THIS IS ONE OF J.E. SAWYER'S FAVORITE FORUMS

:retarded:

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
i've never been able to deduce whether Sawyer is a full blow hipster with aspy qualities or whether he's a full blow aspy with hipster interests...

Hormalakh

Magister
can we rename this thread to "josh Sawyer Fan/Hate club: everything and anything related to Josh Sawyer, up to and including Project Eternity"?

kthx

roguey came in here and shat all over this thread. just shat. pure fecal matter. all shit. everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom