Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

John Carmack officially leaves id Software

index.php

Arcane
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/doom-creator-john-carmack-officially-leaves-id-software

John Carmack, the programmer responsible for Doom, Quake, and more, has left id Software completely.

“John Carmack, who has become interested in focusing on things other than game development at id, has resigned from the studio," id's studio director Tim Willits told IGN. "John’s work on id Tech 5 and the technology for the current development work at id is complete, and his departure will not affect any current projects. We are fortunate to have a brilliant group of programmers at id who worked with John and will carry on id’s tradition of making great games with cutting-edge technology. As colleagues of John for many years, we wish him well.”

I guess it was only a matter of time but still sad to see idSoft falling apart.

tell me again why i should care that a talented programmer but absolutely terrible game designer who's worked less and less as programmer but more and more as designer leaves a studio owned by huge sign which keeps pushing shit on the market*.

(*: even if skyrim has been a huge improvement over oblivion, also a dog pissing in the desert is a huge improvement over oblivion)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Good riddance. Maybe now id will start making engines good enough for 21st century.

Without shadows that you can cut yourself with or muddy as fuck texture pop-ins like it's 1997 or some shit.

MadMaxHellfire said:
talented programmer

:lol:

Also Carmack didn't design games you fucking imbecile.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Who the fuck is John Carmack and why should I give a shit?

msxyz

Augur
id Software: great engines, rather mediocre games.

About Carmack, it was pretty evident that he was't intersted anymore in videogames, they just happened to pay his bills.

I wonder how much Bethesda did pay for the deal with id and what's worth now after both Hollenshield and Carmack left

Baron Dupek

Arcane
He don't fit to the with gaming business and fail, few times. This is jungle and you fit or die.

I cared more aboud Willits than Crapnack, actually.

m_s0

Arcane
Yeah, no pressure. Didn't they restart DOOM4 like 2 or 3 times already? I hope Bethesda enjoys that idTech 5 - the most expensive game engine ever.

Xi

Arcane
Carmack was never really a great game designer. He's mostly a pioneer. He managed to do things before others did (for the most part), and once the dust settled, it was obvious that he was an intelligent person with a mind for technology. He probably left because there was no future in developing another ID engine. That's his cup of tea after all. Since he doesn't really have a knack for modern game design, this is for the best.

I wonder what he will do? Hopefully he continues to iterate on some new technological quarks that no one else has considered yet.

m_s0

Arcane
He was supposed to remain technical advisor or something along those lines for id.
Carmack was never really a great game designer. He's mostly a pioneer. He managed to do things before others did (for the most part), and once the dust settled, it was obvious that he was an intelligent person with a mind for technology. He probably left because there was no future in developing another ID engine. That's his cup of tea after all. Since he doesn't really have a knack for modern game design, this is for the best.

I wonder what he will do? Hopefully he continues to iterate on some new technological quarks that no one else has considered yet.
Occulus Rift

Baron Dupek

Arcane
And fail miserable.

Srsly, this ship will sink. Who need innovations and fresh air when you can sell same shit over and over.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ITT: People acting edgy and talking about Carmack like he was a nobody.

And who was he?

An engine programmer? Man those are rarity.

Maybe you will tell me names of people who are responsible for Unreal Engine? Source? Unity? CryEngine? Oh wait you can't because they actually developed superior engines instead of pretending to be a superstar while doing nothing of value for at least 15 years.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ITT: People acting edgy and talking about Carmack like he was a nobody.

And who was he?

An engine programmer? Man those are rarity.

Maybe you will tell me names of people who are responsible for Unreal Engine? Source? Unity? CryEngine? Oh wait you can't because they actually developed superior engines instead of pretending to be a superstar while doing nothing of value for at least 15 years.
I thought you are old enough to know what they did with the fps style games back when Wolfenstein and Doom came out.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Best of luck to Carmack, I hope he lands somewhere where he has more control over whatever he does, I think he still has a lot more to offer to the world.

His normal map thing was cool, Doom wow-ed everyone, his ID game dev tool was good
He came up with a good way to draw shadows which everyone ripped off.
last innovation I heard he made was mega textures for terrains which didnt do much

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When were id Software last relevant? 15 years ago?

As sad as it is, it's true. Raven Software on the other hand, has managed to stay relevant. Now I wish they kept making games like Heretic and Hexen, but it is what it is.
Fucking what? Raven Software was always a B team behind ID and remained that forever. All they did are Modern Warfare DLCs, and mediocre games. Wolverine? Singulariy? At least 2 dozen games are listed under their names, and from that, only 3-4 are good games. And those are sequels.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I thought you are old enough to know what they did with the fps style games back when Wolfenstein and Doom came out.
What exactly did they do with FPS?
Released games that were Call of Duty of their era? Sure.

Fucking what? Raven Software was always a B team behind ID and remained that forever. All they did are Modern Warfare DLCs, and mediocre games. Wolverine? Singulariy? At least 2 dozen games are listed under their names, and from that, only 3-4 are good games. And those are sequels.

Sounds like they did 3 times more good games than id

He came up with a good way to draw shadows which everyone ripped off.

You mean lightmaps? Holy shit what an innovation, Carmack is a genius. Except there is a shitton of devs who also did other stuff ripped off by many but you can't name them. Why?

last innovation I heard he made was mega textures for terrains which didnt do much

What exactly is innovative about megatexture apart from it just being a shitty hype bubble that didn't even burst in an impressive way

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom