Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC vs. Consoles

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Football manager is hardcore and have rpg elements too,still that does not make it RPG.

Machocruz

Arcane
What is considered "monocled?" Requires considerable brain power and/or skill acquisition, learning? Then almost no RPGs qualify. That's how we know consoletards are tards, because they think 90s CRPGs were too complex. Only strategies and sims are monocled.

Or is it simply a matter of a game appealing to the contemplative mind as opposed to the twitchy thumbs, even if the twitchy thumb game is the more demanding? (Let's assume at least a moderate level of challenge for the contemplative game, so we can exclude stuff like Dear Esther)

dunno lah

Arcane
Speaking of pile of secrets, did anyone get strong vibes of Castlevania when facing the False King in DeS? Even his theme was appropriately Castlevania-like. In Allant's case, we'd be a pile of souls...

Severian Silk

Gothic is playable with a controller. I don't see why they didn't re-release it for XBLA or whatever.

bonescraper

Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, and Dragon's Dogma are not monocled?
Being a good action game with crpg elements is not really enough to be considered monocled. At least it wasn't 15 years ago...

Those games are more of a hardcore RPG than most crpg's. Being third person does not qualify a game as action, look no farther than Gothic.
wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

Are you sure you belong here, sir?

Well, i always thought, we revere RPGs for its reactive worlds, C&C, freedom of choice, storytelling, writing, tactical combat (sometimes, if it's good) etc? And you say, a shitty wapanese thrid person slasher is a great RPG because of its difficulty alone?
Fuck, crank that difficulty up in Dragon Age 2, and its the best RPG EVER! Because it will also have some C&C and other irrelevant shit i mentioned while being FUCKING HARDKKKORE.

And don't fucking compare DS to Gothic. It's third person, therfore it's similar? Really? That's your point?

:roll:

Fallout 3 is a better RPG than Dark Souls. Yeah, suck it. You may consider DS a better game, but that's irrelevant.

Being a good action game with crpg elements is not really enough to be considered monocled. At least it wasn't 15 years ago...

Those games are more of a hardcore RPG than most crpg's. Being third person does not qualify a game as action, look no farther than Gothic.
wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

Well, i always thought, we revere RPGs for its reactive worlds, C&C, freedom of choice, storytelling, writing, tactical combat (sometimes, if it's good) etc? And you say, a shitty wapanese thrid person slasher is a great RPG because of its difficulty alone?
Fuck, crank that difficulty up in Dragon Age 2, and its the best RPG EVER! Because it will also have some C&C and other irrelevant shit i mentioned while being FUCKING HARDKKKORE.

And don't fucking compare DS to Gothic. It's third person, therfore it's similar? Really? That's your point?

Fallout 3 is a better RPG than Dark Souls. Yeah, suck it. You may consider DS a better game, but that's irrelevant.
:notsureifserious:

there is not a singe thing that fallout 3 does better than DS. and definetely not the bolded things. suck it

a shitty wapanese thrid person slasher is a great RPG because of its difficulty alone
:kingcomrade:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I was writing a long winded response to your post but half way through i just thought "fuck it".

:excellent:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh really? Care to tell why?

Game world is huge, full of quests with various outcomes, great combat and 3 companions to manage, and A LOT of subtle C&C - not CHOOSE A OR B NOW - that you don't realize the full extension until you replay it and see everything going differently.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There can be only one Master Race. I'm sorry DragoFireheart, but you and all of your kind will have to be eradicated.

Only the Unity can end the Decline.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
There can be only one Master Race. I'm sorry DragoFireheart, but you and all of your kind will have to be eradicated.

Only the Unity can end the Decline.

The Unity can't reproduce.
"shows document that all unity members can't reproduce because their sperm count is 0"
You have lost.

Karellen

Arcane
I find it puzzling that a forum of people who frequently swear by 320x240 adventure games and 640x480 classic CRPGs and loathe the majority of modern games suddenly seem to consider high-resolution graphics an immensely important thing whenever someone mentions console gaming.

It seems to me that there is a particular subset of the population that gains satisfaction from knowing that the games they are playing look just a little bit sharper than they do for the rest of humanity. I find that I do not belong to this group. What I really want is for a game to look the way it was, for a lack of better word, intended to look. Indeed, high resolution is important in this respect - when you have a high-resolution computer monitor. I've spent literally hours fiddling with emulator graphics settings to get Vagrant Story to look just right, and high resolution and filters make a huge difference on a monitor. The kicker, though, is that at the end of the day the game still looks best overall on a plain old TV screen that blurs the low-res graphics evenly and renders the colours correctly.

When it comes to actual graphical quality, it is generally known that art design is vastly more important than graphical fidelity. That's the reason why some old games (mainly 2D games, admittedly) look great to this day. Aside of art design in general, the major bottlenecks in realistic 3D visuals have to do with the quality of animation, consistency of the environment, the prevalence of visual bugs and glitches, whether effects and physics function as intended, and details in things like facial expressions - and any problems in these aspects actually become even more apparent when resolution is increased. A game tends to look about as good as its worst element. Generally speaking, consoles provide a stable, relatively hassle-free, though outdated platform in which developers can make the most out of the assets they have at their disposal, rather than having to account for variations, which allows for a lot of emphasis on good art design. Often, this results in a lot of polish in the presentation, and at worst, at least the game generally looks the way the developers intended it to, which is more than can be said for PC games at low settings.

There are plenty of good reasons to prefer PC gaming, such as modding, Steam sales, keyboard and mouse, the presence of genres that consoles are bad for, indies, ability to adjust settings to maintain a good frame rate, et cetera. But I well and truly fail to see how the quality of visuals are a real advantage for the PC in any meaningful way, and why people otherwise blessed with some insight when it comes to games would even care so much.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I find it puzzling that a forum of people who frequently swear by 320x240 adventure games and 640x480 classic CRPGs and loathe the majority of modern games suddenly seem to consider high-resolution graphics an immensely important thing whenever someone mentions console gaming.

I assume most of those people are also aware that those games came out years and in some cases, decades ago, so they shouldn't be held to modern standards when it comes to visuals. High-resolution graphics are important(to some) when we're talking about games released in the current console cycle and games that will be released on the next.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Karellen said:

What's so puzzling about pretending to be "hardcore" to seem better than the rest of the bydlo out there? It took you almost two years to ask this question to yourself? FUCK YOU

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
PCs are superior to consoles in the sense that everything you can do on a console can be done on a PC but the reverse is not true. This does not mean console games are inherently shit, but why chose the inferior platform?

Tehdagah

Arcane
Oh really? Care to tell why?

Game world is huge, full of quests with various outcomes, great combat and 3 companions to manage, and A LOT of subtle C&C - not CHOOSE A OR B NOW - that you don't realize the full extension until you replay it and see everything going differently.
Game needs better hitboxes :M

Cassidy

Arcane
The fact such a discussion even exists here is an example of how much this site has been infected with weeaboos and consoletards, among other race traitors and Quislings.

:kingcomrade: :popamole: :desu:

*Edit: those three images sum up everything about modern consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom