Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter is Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's about 14 pages ago. +M

I wouldn't want to jinx anything, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how Guido has been handling the updates. He's been pretty sensible so far, and I'm glad he's not giving up even though the odds don't appear to be exactly in his favour at the moment. The shout-out from Larian should help, and the new Colin McComb e-book novel reward is actually quite interesting (to me at least), especially at the resonable $30 tier.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dont understand why so many were white knighting might and magic 10 and discard this game because guido seems "arrogant",this guys already made games, theres already a lot to show and that doesnt seems more dumbed down than usual. Stretch goals arent the best , the 500$ full access to an additionnal class(yes i understand everyone will be able to use it for a bit, but still) is completely retarded and will be probably available to everyone who got it from pirate bay but not to the honest 25$ backer.
However if we are not backing this who will, i am pretty sure the turn based blobber is not so niche , but people interested into that are people of .. a certain age who may not be aware of l kickstarter campaigns. This guy should get a real publisher and advertise on steam.I backed it, but highly doubt it will get 390k .

A better question is how many people would have bashed Wizardry 8 if the opportunity had existed back in 2001.

kris

Arcane
The guy is asking money upfront, how is that different from every other projects ? Might and amgic X despite being funded by ubisoft is early accces selling a promise of a game , its even worse .Its not critical approach its clearly bashing a potential good blobber because the creator is not a good marketing guy.

There has been plenty of critical voices about every single kickstarter. both about the way they are pitched and the so important trust factor of the developers.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The answer is quite a few. The sole purpose here of bashing this game seems to be enjoying bashing.
That may be part of it, but it's not the sole purpose. By extending criticism in a discussion, everyone involved can come to a greater understanding of their own likes and dislikes, and of the people around them. I think that most of us are here because we love gaming, and hope to learn about great games from one another, and in some small way shape the future of the industry. By sharing what works for us and what doesn't, we make a tiny mark on the consciousness of gamers everywhere. Can that criticism get nasty sometimes? Are some people completely unconstructive? Is the Codex infamous for the negativity of its comments overwhelmingly outweighing the positive? Sure. But, despite its dark side, honest bashing does have a place in the conversation about what we as gamers want to see (and spend our money on).

As for this particular project, I don't have a special bone to pick with Guido, and I doubt anyone else does either, but he has made a number of mistakes along the way, and it's only natural to criticize them. Has he been reading this thread? Doubtful, but talking about stuff like this amongst ourselves is the whole point of the forum, isn't it? In any case, Guido does seem to be taking lessons from the crowd's responses. That update he did yesterday where he finally did bring out his résumé, and talked about his personal philosophy behind making the game, was excellent and gave me a lot more confidence in him. Of course, KS updates are buried "behind" the front page; non-backers will never see that stuff unless they dig for it. It will be interesting to see where he takes things from here. If he keeps making mistakes at the same rate, and learning from them as quickly as he has, by next year he'll be the smartest designer in the world.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
First part of Interview is online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl43BqfcscU

I am not so happy about the fact that voice acting will not exist, but at length - remembering "Dragon Age: Origins" - I didn't care about voices anymore. It even turned out to be cumbersome to follow the voices while reading the text at different speed. Most of the time I clicked my decision before the protagonist finished speaking (aka "shut the fuck up already"). So the point of voice acting is indeed overrated. Sometimes one must recall this, instead of insisting on features that "just sound good". Besides it's also much more flexible to implement for the developers.
Still, I'd love to have some form of combat barks. I mean... a completely mute party isn't that funny either. :M

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So far I've resisted the urge to kick this thing when it's down but
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/deathfire-ruins-of-nethermore/posts/664123
Rules of egangement and a new screenshot
I only noticed it because the Watch preserved the typo, which I approve. This kind of unprofessional sloppiness probably isn't helping with potential backer confidence.

Still very funny of course.

Somehow the first thing I thought of was this PE update.

Alchemist

Arcane
Eh.. typos happen, even among the most professional developers. Someone would have to be very anal-retentive and petty to dismiss the project based on that. If the KS was riddled with similar errors, that'd be cause for concern - but it's not.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ok.

Btw. it looks like the max funding reachable is 100K. A decent amount, but still not great if you need to pay a team. Though it'll probably work on the 3rd attempt if he lowers the goal as much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seems to me that the only "edgy" or "hardcore crowd" thing about this thread is the league of posters contributing my criticism to bitterness and empty rage, without paying heed to several pages of me discussing this thing back and forth with actual arguments and saying I hope the game turns out good despite evidence to the contrary. I guess it's easier to just say "edgy lol" than to accept that viewpoints differ for good reason. And the more it goes on contested, the more the circle-jerk "any criticism is just edgyness lalala" spins into shit.

The attempt to write off legitimate criticism as hot air notwithstanding, I respect Guido's work in the past (well, except for FIFA Soccer and NWN :M ), and that contributes far more to my disappointment for his current Kickstarter than any attempt at being edgy could.

If you had bothered to do the research, you'd find out I'm almost anti-edgy as far as most Kickstarters go; I believe it's our only out of this mess with no games, and I've also backed several that the Codex didn't like. Don't know how that somehow means I can't speak my mind when I think something is bullshit.

I am fucking disappointed that Guido learned NOTHING from the Thorvalla pitch, and fuck you if you think that's empty criticism.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I guess I'm gonna need to bring up a few quotes again to rub his nose in it. He just keeps repeating "I always said that" when it is very easy to prove the opposite.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In fact, I think Guido learned too many lessons from the failure of Thorvala - many right but also many of them wrong. The guy needs to focus on game design and leave marketing to pros.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
regardless of butthurt or empty accusations of "edginess" (fucking internet lingo)... the expected failure of this kickstarter happened.

The campaign is 2/3's done and hasn't even amassed 1/3 of the needed funds.

Like I said early on; D.O.A

hexer

He can't kickstart another Realms of Arkania game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom