Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN2News reviews NWN2 - 9.5

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.nwn2news.net>NWN2 News</a>, a NWN2 fansite, has posted a very enthusiastic (fansites rarely post any other kind) <a href=http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=69>review</a> of <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>Neverwinter Nights 2</a>, giving the game 8.3 overall and 9.5 for the official campaign due to general awesomeness, amazingness, and greatness.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The story simply was a pleasure to behold and play. It had many twists and turns and very little foreshadowing. It used cut scenes to drive the story forward but many of them raised more questions then they answered and kept me guessing. Usually you play a game or go see a movie and 1/3 the way into it you pretty much know what’s going on, who the bad guy is and what’s going to happen. Here, there were so many subplots and twists and betrayals I really didn’t figure it all out on the first time though until ¾ into the game. I think that’s a credit to the developers and story writers. I was on my toes and the story kept me hooked much longer interest wise then the NWN 1 OC ever did.
<br>
<br>
I can not praise the story enough, and if you are going to get NWN 2 for just the SP aspect it is worth every dime. I will go out on a limb and say it gives the BG series a run for its money story wise.
<br>
<br>
With all that said the story, pace and voice acting couldn’t be a lot better. This is one of the gems of this game and SP aspect. I can not see many people crying foul as they did with the NWN 1 OC. This story gripped me and never let me go until the final battle.</blockquote>It's time to get NWN2 and see what all the fuss is about.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

obediah

Erudite
This just in - britneyspearsisthebestestever.com gives britney spears song 4.5 out of 5 <3's.

Usually you play a game or go see a movie and 1/3 the way into it you pretty much know what’s going on, who the bad guy is and what’s going to happen.

When you hear that there's a character called "King of Shadows", it doesn't take a genius to figure out who the main villain is going to be.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oh SNAP!

P.S. people were calling the KOS as the likely main bad guy since he was first announced. ie the game was first announced.

NWN2's storyline is one of its two biggest weakness - the other big one is the lameo forced npcs that hurts 'immersion'.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L0L0LLLIPOP

NO STFU for u!! :twisted:

"How exactly are NWN2 npcs forced onto the player?"

R00fles!

Did you even play the game!?!

R00fles!

Here's a hint, MORON: Try to tell Khelgar when you first meet him to fuck off. Go ahead, try it.

elander_

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Here's a hint, MORON: Try to tell Khelgar when you first meet him to fuck off. Go ahead, try it.

Can't you just kill him?

elander_

Arbiter
Wulfgar said:
Through the wonderful art of fake choices. Plenty of that in NWN2.

What would be a true choice then? Can you give me an example?

Wulfgar

Scholar
Side with the ruffians that were harrasing Khelgar. Help/watch guards kill Neeshka. Kill that annoying bitch Qara right in front of the Sunken Flagon.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:

I bet you had the same problem with Mud in Gothic 1, huh, Volourn?

elander_

Arbiter
"Side with the ruffians that were harrasing Khelgar."

OK so you side with them and get two or three dialog lines to get rid of Khelgar. Big deal. I might as well kill him myself and get his loot. It may be a simple choice but its still one that is very usefull.

"Help/watch guards kill Neeshka."

"Kill that annoying bitch Qara right in front of the Sunken Flagon."

I can see how this could be interesting if it had enough content but games are limited to a pratical number of quests that can be developed and quests can't simply develop all interesting possible alternatives. Im sure there are plenty of other more developed and interesting quest choices in NWN2.

Voss

Erudite
You're missing the point. He's being sarcastic.

You can try to side with the various attackers, but the dialogue choices always force you around to helping them out.

And you can't kill him yourself.

VD- I find it extraordinarily depressing that the blatant fanboi review is what perks your interest. Sad.

sabishii

Arbiter
You know, I wonder if Obsidian would've gave the player those choices and even more choices if the NWN2 OC was a game itself, rather than part of a OC + toolset bundle. I may be giving them too much benefit of the doubt, but it seemed to me like they tried to go more nonlinear than they did linear.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Volourn said:
NWN2's storyline is one of its two biggest weakness - the other big one is the lameo forced npcs that hurts 'immersion'.

You forgot the UI. There was nothing wrong with NWN's radial menu and it was a big mistake to change it.

@Wulfgar - Act 1 is a blow-out - not quite Peragus Station Redux, but bad enough. There's a lot more dialogue in Act 2 from what I've seen. I don't know why Obsidian insists on starting their games with five hours of drudge and boredom.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You forgot the UI. There was nothing wrong with NWN's radial menu and it was a big mistake to change it."

I prefer NWN1's UI as well and LOVE the radial menu (so did most people including Obsidian fanboys until Obsidian in their 'infinite wisdom' felt it weas neccessary to change it then all of assdduen all their fnaboys just hated the radial menu *shrug); but NWN1's UI is pretty good in its own right.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Radial menu FTL. ToEE did it much better.

But the new Context Menu sucks toes as well. They should've let you hotkey the Broadcast Commands.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"ToEE did it much better."

TOEE's stupid radial menu would go right fof the screen. L0LLERZ

Wulfgar

Scholar
+1 for radial menu. :)

Also, lizards.

sneaky_lizard.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
Voss said:
VD- I find it extraordinarily depressing that the blatant fanboi review is what perks your interest. Sad.
It was the latest newsitem at RPG Watch and I thought it would be at least amusing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
It's time to get NWN2 and see what all the fuss is about.
No it's not. It's time to stop playing games and finish making games. Back to work and this time stay there!
Alright, alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom