Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Kickstarter: Mansion Lord - A Murder Mystery RPG/Business Sim

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kickstarter; Mansion Lord

It's been a slow news week so while we're all waiting for Obsidian to launch the Project Eternity backer portal, here's a little something for you to bitch about discuss. Mansion Lord is an amusing concept currently on Kickstarter that aims to merge turn- and grid-based RPG (with character classes, stats, etc.), murder mystery, and a business management sim. It also includes class switching mechanics (!) which is the real reason why I'm posting about it at all :wizardry:.

Unfortunately it comes with "retro" pixel graphics that every other indie game seems to use these days. But oh well. I'll let the project speak for itself:

Mansion Lord combines a murder mystery business sim with tile-based world building and turn-based RPG combat. Build your mansion tile-by-tile, invite unscrupulous aristocrats to dinner, and, with the aid of your hired detectives, capture them for bounties after they slay the other guests. You can level up your detectives, equip them with hundreds of different weapons and accessories, and teach them a variety of skills. All in the name of profit!

Features
  • BUILDING SYSTEM: Create your mansion one piece at a time using a grid-based tile system. Place each individual object to gain vital room bonuses to attract more guests - and for your personal sense of interior decoration, of course!
  • TACTICAL TURN-BASED COMBAT: Claim bounty money by defeating the killers using a grid-based combat system. Use a variety of a special skills, joint combo attacks and maneuvering (side attacks and back attacks do matter!) to take them down.
  • SUSPECT DATABASE SYSTEM: Each killer has a unique set of likes and dislikes - tailor your rooms to suit their preferences to lure them to your mansion! Try to draw in the most elusive suspects to complete your "collection."
  • RPG CHARACTER UPGRADING: Improve your stable of hired detectives by earning XP, updating their equipment, teaching them new skills, increasing their happiness with gifts, and even building them their own bedroom!
  • ENDLESS ROGUELIKE ENCOUNTERS: If you want to take a break from management for some old-fashioned dungeon diving, try sending your detectives into the depths of the abandoned basement levels to clear out the ghouls below. The deeper you go, the bigger the dangers (and the rewards, of course)!
  • SOCIAL BOND SYSTEM: Detectives with strong relationships have special abilities in combat. Strengthen their social bonds by sending them out on "dates" every now and then. Who knows what might happen when their relationship maxes out?
  • 100% CHIPTUNE SOUNDTRACK: If it doesn't chirp, bleep, or bloop, you won't hear it in our music.
The latest KS update describes the game's character classes in more detail. Here's a snippet:

Every person in your employ belongs to a particular class. A character's class determines their distribution of stats and access to specific passive abilities. In the screenshot below, you can see that Dr. Olive is currently a level 15 Surgeon, which affords him access to the Bedside Manner and Precision Cuts abilities.

Once a character reaches level 20 in their current class, they may opt to switch to a new class while keeping any abilities they learned. A character can only remember up to 4 abilities at any given time.

Also, some classes are gender-locked. For example, a male character could never switch to the female-only Siren class shown below.

Finally, one last thing to keep in mind is that well-trained people tend to demand high salaries - so be prepared for that when they come knocking for a raise!​

Mansion Lord's target platforms are Win, Mac and Linux; $10 gets you a digital copy. Kickstarter page this way.

You can also vote for the game on Steam Greenlight.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
one of the worst cases of pixel size chaos I've seen.
it's an interesting idea however.

V_K

Arcane
When I read "murder mystery RPG" I went :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::takemyjewgold:
Cause that's the kind of game I really wish was made.
(I played Legends of Murder, thankyouverymuch, it's shit)
But then I read the rest of the description.......:rage:

TigerKnee

Arcane
I guess the concept is... sound but with that "features" list, I wonder about the execution.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Unfortunately? Fuck that and fuck you hipsters. Pixel art is absurdly beautiful.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Every RPG Mechanic Ever: The Game.

In theory sounds like... eh.. a mess. It all rides on how the hell he will execute this. And the pixel art is just meh, nothing to talk about. That chiptune soundtrack, on the other hand... urgh.

Seerix

Arbiter
Concept is really cool but I doubt if they'll execute it, and the graphics are really awful, "pixel art" in name only.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Now I don't mind pixel graphics, but for the love of god make the pixel size consistent.

Johannes

Arcane
Throw enough systems together and maybe something fun will come out of it. Looks interesting but may end up being too unbalanced clusterfuck still. And yeah the art sucks - pixel art can be good but yeah, what Derek Larp said

Johannes

Arcane
another dealbreaker? console port stretch goals.
Yes seriously, fuck that shit. Make a game for PC with the money you get. Then if it sells you can port the thing at your own expense, with the revenue money, if you feel doing so will be lucrative.

But for a person playing it on the PC it gives zero added value to have ports made. So it's a way of saying that whatever extra money the KS earns, it won't be used to make the game better.

Midair

Learned
Boo, hiss. Even if they are putting gameplay over graphics, I don't see why it has to look this bad. Consistent pixel size would hardly make a difference. A capable artist/illustrator can be inconsistent, see for example Fez, and make it look okay. But this developer seems to think that an indie-retro look is an excuse to throw aesthetics out the window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom