Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #26: Turn-Based Combat Wins

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
FFS even Roguey has nothing annoying to say here

What does that tell you
I always supported turn based for this project http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-combat-system-vote.87998/page-4#post-2971146

The "RTwP is universally awful" crowd are the only annoying ones here. Living in some crazy world where Shadowrun Returns is better than BG2 and IWD2 because combat is resolved in turns.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Shadowrun's problems go beyond it's combat system though, it's very linear, the second half of the story is rather jarring against the enjoyable personal story of the first, the matrix sections are also pretty weak. Maybe the expansion will save it and the mod kit, we'll see I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shadowrun's problems go beyond it's combat system though, it's very linear, the second half of the story is rather jarring against the enjoyable personal story of the first, the matrix sections are also pretty weak. Maybe the expansion will save it and the mod kit, we'll see I guess.
IWD2 is also very linear and it's still a better game than Shadowrun Returns. Linearity can be disappointing but it isn't necessarily bad.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
IWD2 is also very linear and it's still a better game than Shadowrun Returns. Linearity can be disappointing but it isn't necessarily bad.

IWD2, while being linear did have larger and more interesting areas, it was also more challenging and the character system was a little more robust (but maybe that's just my bias for 3rd edition P&P's character system).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IWD2, while being linear did have larger and more interesting areas, it was also more challenging and the character system was a little more robust (but maybe that's just my bias for 3rd edition P&P's character system).
Mmm hmm. Though it should be both "challenging and interesting" since challenge by itself isn't enough. Interest is achieved through variety and behaviors.

I'm sure they'll do their best (even if that's not good enough) to make sure the few combat encounters they have are interesting, but I'm confident Eternity and its rtwp is going to wipe the floor with it when it comes to combat because
Torment:ToN said:
Rest assured that combat is not, and never has been, our primary focus, as you can see in the four pillars above. Torment is very much about the story, the characters, the conversations, and the world, and we are focusing most of our efforts in those areas
Pillars of Eternity said:
We're designing the game for people who enjoy the challenge of combat, but different people have different capabilities. If you don't like combat at all, PE will probably not be enjoyable. We consider tactical combat to be a core component of the game.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ITT RPGCodex users claim RTwP is the shittiest shit ever while at the same time displaying their P:E backer tag :codexisfor:

hexer

Numenera is a pen & paper game and Turn Based is much closer to pen & paper gaming than RTwP.

God, those butthurt people don't even know what they pledged for. :what:

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
I think most of u got traumatized by Dragon Age RTwP but my favorite series from the past all had RTwP: NWN series, Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate. So congrats u freaking nerds now to combat will really be boring as fuck.
How the fuck does anyone get traumatized by Dragon Age, of all things? Sure, it's loaded up the ass with trash mobs, but it's not irredeemably horrendous.
You, on the other hand, have you been traumatized by Age of Decadence's turn-based combat?

Age of Decandence combat is kind of crap, the point is i trust JRPG more then western games when it comes to turnbased combat, finished FO1 but cant say i enjoyed it because im not a big fan of post apocalyptic theme, at FO2 i gave up eventually, its just not my cup of tea.

What i dont understand is why TB is the right way and RTwP is just wrong after all its about tastes and yes i think western turnbased rpgs are boring live with it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
can't stop laughing at Avellone's quote. Let's just be honest: Torment's RTwP combat was shit; I'll admit it didn't define the game (the shitty dialogue, setting, and plot did that), but it certainly didn't help!

If Avellone wants to talk about combat, the first thing he needs to do is admit that Torment's combat was an unmitigated failure.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How about people here mostly like TB, you live with it?

I just love these people coming in to stir shit up and then going all defensive and screaming "live with it".

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Praising Torment to high heaven is getting old, too, and very dishonest. So find a different schtick, torment fanboys

Achilles

Arcane
To say that I'm happy with the result would be an understatement :D

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I would have voted on this for TB but I forgot my login shit on kickstarter and didn't have the energy to go further. I'm glad there are still RPG players with taste out there.

Delbaeth

Learned
Months ago, I resigned to accept RTwP, by anticipating the poll. I thought that the action crowd would be majority.
I don't know what it's the best. Seeing that there were many TB lovers, that TB won, or some really poor reactions from the other side.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Check his post history, this is a person who registered on the Codex mainly to tell us how much Planescape: Torment and Chris Avellone suck (especially compared to Jeff Vogel)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom