Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Obsidian Kickstarter (Update: Not really, dammit Duraframe) (Banned Duraframe - DU)

Zetor

Arcane
South Park 2: The Stick Of More Truth

LivingOne

Savant
Primordia RPG!:bounce:

Nah,I know it won't happen.

Arcanum-ToEE hybrid is more likely since those are the only ones from the late 90s-early 00s that didn't get a spiritual successor.

My preferences would be a not-Ravenloft setting so they can do that thing Ziets was talking about or a Dragon Kings RPG but those won't happen either.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I personally hope they don't start before February/March. Otherwise I can't be drunk 90% of the time.

It'll be a Fallout 4 spinoff for Bethesda, only this time ZeniMax told them to raise the funds on their own. But they'll get a meaty bonus if they get 90 on Metacritic.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That'd be nice, or even Weird West -- license Deadlands or something. Regardless, we don't have enough RPGs from that setting.

Sure, that could work (convenient way of adding several kinds magic, like chinese/indian/juju voodoo if you wanted to go that route). There's not enough wild west games, period (Fuck you R* for RDR not on PC), let alone RPGs.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Arcanum-ToEE hybrid is more likely since those are the only ones from the late 90s-early 00s that didn't get a spiritual successor.

I've just imagined Arcanum with a ToEE combat system

I-came-buckets.jpg

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Still hoping for an old school style adventure-game RPG hybrid heavy on c&c and interactivity, and lower on combat, in a world with no magic or elves or any of that fantasy shit.

BigWeather

Augur
Other than the aforementioned Wild West RPG, I'd love to see a hard SF RPG, or even something inspired by Starflight or something.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
They'll need another Kickstarter to pay reviewers then
:lol:Maybe that's what this Kickstarter is for, and they already got the budget for the game.

My wishlist is either a proper SciFi, or a non-rushed VtM game due to executive meddling. An Arcanum "SS" would be nice as well, as long as they go for better combat(and avoidable at least 99% of the time) and encounter design.

Oh, and whatever it is, please have Tim Cain as project lead.

Come on, Wild West RPG.

Indeed. And a 2D one at that. Or orthographic 3D.

It's not going to be a license and it's gotta be an known cash cow of a setting.

Why not? There have been a few Kickstarters for big licensed titles. They might have cut a similar deal that they would be given the license for a particular type of game unpopular with publishers if they proved there is interest and Kickstarter is as much a tool to prove that there is interest.

There's also the problem that prerendered isometric backgrounds don't play well with modern city-street architecture because of all the long, straight lines at right-angles to eachother. You can help with that by doing Shadowrun-style fake parallaxing, but the PE guys have bitched about it so I'm guessing it's not possible in their engine. Which leads me to lean towards space opera.

Keen observation. But perhaps it will be a 3D FPP/TPP game? I wouldn't put it past them.

Wouldn't it be cool if they married Wild West to Sci-Fi for Space Western ala Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, Bravestarr, Sabre Riders etc?

In fact, even a Firefly RPG?

Damn, it's so beautiful to imagine.

Last edited:
I would like a storyfag personal horror by George Ziets.
but that is unlikely as George Ziets is not involved yet.

A hard sci-fi game with ToEE combat
but that is unlikely too as Obsidian will want to capitalize on the RTwP framework of PoE.

Although tbh, I will be happy for any cRPG (without AKSHUN) in any non tolkien fantasy setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom