Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Obsidian Kickstarter (Update: Not really, dammit Duraframe) (Banned Duraframe - DU)

coffeetable

Savant
Have to wonder why Activision doesn't just sell IP that doesn't fit their annual multiplatform franchise vision. I know corporation love hoarding IP but honestly what could they ever do with Arcanum?
Well, seeing as the Syndicate remake was such a success,

ColCol

Arcane
Btw. that's not the kind of christian mythology setting I was referring to. More of a horror demons/devils vs. humans (with some blessing from saints, angels and God) setting.
And then god turns out to be the bigger bad.:bounce:

Ywhw.png

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
They should make a game where they make fun of generic fantasy rpg, like a parody or some sort.

gromit

Arcane
Why does everyone get hung up on licensing regarding "The Wire?" It's not exactly some radical, idiosyncratic setting. Obsidian could make a modern Crime rpg any day of the week, without permission from anyone, by citing "prior art" and "looking out a window."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why does everyone get hung up on licensing regarding "The Wire?" It's not exactly some radical, idiosyncratic setting. Obsidian could make a modern Crime rpg any day of the week, without permission from anyone, by citing "prior art" and "looking out a window."

$$$

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm not exactly sure how many fans of the show would be interested in an MCA-style tru RPG, but having the name and the characters(!) from the show definitely adds value.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

The Wire was not a success in its time. And I really don't see video game people tackle social realities like it did. When Avellone talks about it, the only thing he's able to praise is the narrative structure. Which really confirms what i think : the late respect the show has garnered is only a way to make it innocuous, to fetishize it as "good entertainment" when it was really about the social truths no one wants to hear.
Good entertainment is good (cf Torment), but please keep away from the Wire if that's the only thing you were taught to make.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Is it just me, or do other people think time travel style plots are boring and/or dumb? I feel like every time time travel gets used in a sci-fi story, it ends up degenerating into paradoxes and silliness. I dunno. I'm just not sold on them.

I let my imagination run wild- what if seeing that it is perfectly possible to do good kickstarter game, Leonard Boyarsky changes his mind and decide to join the team?

Cosmo

Arcane
Is it just me, or do other people think time travel style plots are boring and/or dumb? I feel like every time time travel gets used in a sci-fi story, it ends up degenerating into paradoxes and silliness. I dunno. I'm just not sold on them.

It gave us Chrono Trigger though. I'd love to see a western CT.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Wire was not a success in its time.

All that matters is that The Wire is a success now in that it is considered one of the best TV shows evar. Obama's favorite TV show, etc.

the late respect the show has garnered is only a way to make it innocuous, to fetishize it as "good entertainment" when it was really about the social truths no one wants to hear.

But it was good entertainment too. You make it sound like good entertainment and social truths do not combine.

Shadenuat

Arcane
High School theme was done by Bully as MCA said. I doubt they will do any existing titles like SW or Firefly - gotta buy the rights.
Gotta be something new. But the idea must appeal to the crowd enough to get at least standard 1 million.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris Avellone romance simulator?

Imagine being embraced by his strong arms as he watches you seductively.

Perfect game for Oculus Rift

Oesophagus

Arcane
A proper space opera. Mass Effect: Good writing and interesting characters edition. Day one less bugs DLC

Cosmo

Arcane
You make it sound like good entertainment and social truths do not combine.

That's not what i said. But a lot of the praises received by the show, from the industry to political figures, conveniently leave out the social dimension. If you only acknowledge the entertainment side, you leave out the reason why the show had a soul and was relevant.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
A proper space opera. Mass Effect: Good writing and interesting characters edition. Day one less bugs DLC
I just thought about it: Biowhores provide Obsidian with engine and licence to make a Mass Effect game in a similar way they made NV for Bethesda.
I better be careful with what i wish for...

Oesophagus

Arcane
I just thought about it: Biowhores provide Obsidian with engine and licence to make a Mass Effect game in a similar way they made NV for Bethesda.

Hey, at least the plot wouldn't be about saving the galaxy and having sex with anything that moves

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom