Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Obsidian Kickstarter (Update: Not really, dammit Duraframe) (Banned Duraframe - DU)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Game of Thrones. THAT would give them a couple of millions.

I hope not because I fucking hate fucking retarded Game of Thrones.
I like the show and I'm indifferent to the books (I read the first two and thought they were okay), but I hate everything outside of that.

would brofist except book one and two are pretty good and paradox' game is p. cool story and characterwise

Whatever they make, it better be TB and have Tim Cain as one of the lead designers and free from Sawyerist consoltardiness.

So far P:E is stacking up to be a lot more thought-through than Wasteland :M

(inb4 "obsidifan scum", i detest half of their catalogue)

And PE didn't even have any piece of concept exist in the air up until the KS like Wasteland 2 has been for the last 20 years.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Zardoz the RPG

connery-zardoz.jpg
Fixed.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
As long as they get the extra millions they can trow the Skyrim bait but they should be prepared for the buthurt when people realize there is no quest compass.

Skyrim is a strong word this days, Dragon Age 3 was redone just because of it and a lot of developers are praising it for the open-world, too bad the game treats you like your stupid.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So if it's a licensed property, I guess that Josh's and MCA's biggest IP wishes would be high on the list:
- Darklands
- The Wire

Other than that, if you look at the IE games, Baldur's Gate (and IWD) is covered by PE, Fallout by Wasteland 2 and Torment by uhm Torment. That really only leaves Arcanum as the last IE game they might get a license for.

Athelas

Arcane
Arcanum is not an IE game, and it doesn't have remotely the same 'nostalgia power' as the IE games or Fallout.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Arcanum is not an IE game, and it doesn't have remotely the same 'nostalgia power' as the IE games or Fallout.

Ok, IE-like game. Happy?

On Wikipedia it says that Trokia wanted to use Valve's Half-Life engine for Arcanum 2 in the early 2000's, but then had some sort 'dispute' with Valve and the game was shelved. So I guess the Fallout 3 decline of switching to 3D could have come much earlier and by Troika itself.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If this is another fantasy game, I have no interest at all. Sorry. (Unless it is Pillars of Eternity 2: Electric Boogaloo).

If it is sci-fi I will fill a wheel-barrel full of cash and deliver it to Obsidian....

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I hope they'll end up licensing something good. It seems to me that there are plenty of cool IPs that could provide excellent settings for rpgs, but that the world and setting is often of secondary importance to just getting a big name IP that'll generate more sales, even if the game is shitty. I'd love to see a Morbus Gravis or a Black Company rpg, for example...

Black Company could be interesting. (Although I'd set it either during the war between the Lady and the Dominator, or during the events of the first few books)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think it would be cool with a single character Fallout-like, using the same tech and tools they use for Eternity.

"But what about WL2 hurr hurr" WL2 is very little like FO1-2, and there's definitely room for isometric single character CRPGs.

By this I don't mean it must be a post-apoc setting (or something resembling FO in setting). Just the way it plays with a single character and a huge array of skills and perks and stuff. High reactivity, factions, C&C.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I don't get people that hope for an Arcanum from Obsidian; they haven't done anything that would indicate they have the design paradigm to make a game like that. The closest they've got is with the faction reputation mechanics in New Vegas.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Yes, but it'd be Obsidian with Cain as the lead, not just Cain. Obsidian's crew is not fit for an Arcanum, at least from what they've done so far.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Obviously. But you know... the dream, man, the dream. Like the dream of W2, of Torment, of PE. It's nice to dream, until reality hits you in the face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom