Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhorse's RPG Unveiled as Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Thats trailer was just... mind numbing generic, the setup, the music, the heroic phrases, fuck it, the title of the game says it all.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sorry to say that's an extraordinarily boring art style. Poles win again. Hell, even Skyrim wins compared to that.

Nah, Skyrim was boring, generic lolfantasylolvikings stuff from people who have obviously never studied armour in the slightest. This is probably the closest look at historical armour we've ever gotten. Followed by The Witcher 2.
out of curiosity, what does historically accurate armor design bring to the table exactly?

likaq

Arcane
Reading those comments on kotaku is painfull.
NO MAGIC? NO DRAGONS? NO FIREBALLS? NO ELVES? NO DWARFS? GEAM IS SHIT!!! LOLLOLOL

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Sorry to say that's an extraordinarily boring art style. Poles win again. Hell, even Skyrim wins compared to that.

Nah, Skyrim was boring, generic lolfantasylolvikings stuff from people who have obviously never studied armour in the slightest. This is probably the closest look at historical armour we've ever gotten. Followed by The Witcher 2.
out of curiosity, what does historically accurate armor design bring to the table exactly?

More believable than spikey ub0r armour. But apart from that it's just refreshing to see real armour instead of generic plastic armour, in my opinion. We've seen so many different "so creative" approaches to armour design, but most of them looked unbelievable, stupid and impractical. But that's just a personal preference. Maybe because I can't take fantasy seriously if it tries to take itself seriously.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So,AAA Mount and Blade with decent graphics and no elves? I'm intrigued.

DeepOcean

Arcane
That Kotaku user comment: "Hmm, no thanks, I'm not in simulators." is really comedy gold, worse than "No elves? Not buy." comments.

Delterius

Arcane

Well, as long as the people behind the art design look for really varied source material then historically accurate armor can still be rather interesting. Not to mention that there are stunningly good looking armors preservered here and there. After all, its not like there's a much better inspiration than History for low key art design.

Not that I'm allergic to WoW's pauldrons; but realistic art design can often be refreshing.

Skyrim-killer? LOL, no, not with such a shitty name.

Otherwise, been looking forward to this.

Repressed Homosexual
I'm pretty sure that either one of two things will happen:

1-The publisher who will accept the game will eventually pressure Daniel and the others to "make the game more epic and awesome" and he will have to compromise a lot on his vision and include a lot of Michael Bay moments and epic powers
2-He will sign with a publisher primarily catering to the European market who will only have little money to spare him, so the game will be cut down severely, and possibly rushed and buggy like other Europeans RPGs

I mean, I read about a realistic RPG set in the Holy Roman Empire and I'm enthralled, but I just don't believe at all that someone will give him the means to properly achieve his visions, at least not without compromising all over the place.

deuxhero

Arcane
Interesting art style, yeah, if you like the Power Rangers and The Mystic Knights of Tir Nan Og.:M

Because "Jumpsuits+helmets of varying colors with some patterns in white on them on them"
Sentai_Zyu.jpg
is completely comparable to this piece of of edgy over designed shit
SR-item-Daedric_Armor_Female.jpg

(seriously, Skyrim managed to make every bad decision possible with armor armor short of giant pauldrons)

More believable than spikey ub0r armour. But apart from that it's just refreshing to see real armour instead of generic plastic armour, in my opinion. We've seen so many different "so creative" approaches to armour design, but most of them looked unbelievable, stupid and impractical. But that's just a personal preference. Maybe because I can't take fantasy seriously if it tries to take itself seriously.

I am a fan of "basic but detailed" armor (and costumes in general). A unique surcoat (both in shape and what is on it) makes a suit far more interesting than any ammount of boobplate, massive paldrons or spikes does.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
It will surely be a buggy mess. Also, no boobs in the video.

Check screenshots for boobs, they look realistic unlike armors ! like who gives a shit seriously guys, also Skyrim open world is the worse, the quest compass is hand holding you the whole fucking game, there is no feel of accomplishment when the game tells you what to do step by step, i guess the recipe of success is to make the game stupid easy Farm Ville style or ultra hardcore masochist Dark Souls style.

Kron

Arcane
Visual design looks mildly intriguing; as in not EPIC SPIKES, etc.
Music for the trailer, on the other hand, was pure genericness. They should've gone with psuedo medieval/templar choir.

Apart from that, there's not much you can tell from the game.

Also, the screenshot with the peasants really looks like The Witcher 2.

deuxhero

Arcane
That is a concern. It was one of the bigger issues with Way of the Samurai 1-3 (Nobunaga is going to get ahold of Amana, at best you have it join him by treaty instead of violence).

Repressed Homosexual
Or it just happens to an imaginary county/town/area of villages inspired by the Holy Roman empire of this era. A small scale conflict, instead of being something that shapes the destiny of a country or state.

deuxhero

Arcane
Way of the Samurai does focus on local conflicts in fictional places, but it still has to bow before massive historical events.

Of course, it COULD be possible, and a large part of the reason WotS did that was the first two games concerned samurai being a thing of the past.

I suppose keywords like "medieval" "realistic" and "Holy Roman Empire" will have some people instantly clapping their hands - i'm not one of them though.
At the moment it sounds like it's just about realistic combat, with some slapped-on RPG elements to it, however i'm still openminded. It is only a teaser after all.

Also, trailermusic needs to be more epic!

sser

Arcane
Developer
Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

US Postal Service: The Mailing.

Tango Down: Descent.

First Steps: Genesis.

Alphabet Soup: Spellforce.

Seerix

Arbiter
Well, people on kotaku are nicely following with popular opinion that realistic = serious. Of course, almost no solid information on the game leaves such important gameplay/story details as big unknowns. And the trailer's like the most awful thing possible to hype hardcore medieval action game made on suposedly best fucking engine ever.

Fake edit: Kingdom Come: Deliverance? More like New Game: Generic :roll: Title is pretty important part when you're releasing a commercial product and I wouldn't use title like this even for something released for free. Rarely I'm starting to doubt a game just because of title choice. :(

Raapys

Arcane
Not very ambitious if they're just going for a Skyrim killer though.

Baron

Arcane
The bombastic musical crescendo seemed somewhat at odds to a trailer of some grass and a guy sitting on a horse. One minute and six seconds it took to bore my favourite set of tits off.

Rome. And a Shakespeare quote. The creativity with this mob is truly staggering.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Set in the times of the Holy Roman Empire? Historical RPG? I'm sold. :salute:

How is this generic, when was the last time we have such a RPG? 1992?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kingdom Cum: HHR got white goo in his pants *snicker*

But otherwise will follow this. So far seems like a poor man's M&B (First person? For "realistic" melee combat? Seriously?). But who knows, might revive aRPGs the way iso-RPGs are revived by KS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom