Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New game plus (+) done right in RPG(likes)

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So which RPG-like game do you consider to have a well done new game plus system?
Are there any?

For myself, I liked this feature in chrono trigger and Cross

I'm counting import features like BG and new games with keeping equipment and level like Diablo, too.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I don't think new game plus you are asking for can be found in many WRPGs.

Japanese games have new game plus feature which allows you to keep your party after the game but they improve avarage experience level of monsters and equipment. This is different than WRPGs export/import feature which keeps the content of the game same.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly, I think the only games I played with a similar feature is Diablo and Diablo 2. After defeating a difficulty level, it let you go on and replay with your character in the next difficulty level.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Heart of Fury in IWD1/2 was supposed to be a game+1 deal I think.

Also ME.

Eterek

Novice
Parasite Eve had potential, if only Chrysler Building wasn't so boring.

set

Cipher
I like the general system in Tales Of games, where you can buy bonuses for your new game using points you earn by playing the game well the first time. I don't know of any WRPGs that do this though.

Balancing them for the game is a tall order I think. Too many developers don't spend enough time building in proper difficulty-scaling as it is, nevermind one which has to account for player carry-over bonuses.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
QFG. The import feature opened up the possibility to play as a 'hidden' 'prestige' class with its own quests, that was not obtainable on all games. Of course, it was more satisfying if you didn't use the built-in cheat to turn another class import into any other class.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Sengoku Rance.

Beat the game faster (turn-wise) to get more points to unlock starting bonuses which will allow you to beat the game even faster.

The Chinese apparently have some seriously high point scores on this game.

haraw

Educated
Well Dragon's Dogma is an example how to NOT do it. After beating the game you can continue with your character and pawn from the start with no changes in the gameworld. Even tho loot is somewhat randomized, it will be the same thing again but with trivialized combat because your level is so high.

And I think that Dark Souls' NG+ wasnt that great either.

laclongquan

Arcane
Indeedy~

Sengoku Rance is a good example of NG+. New content, and new strategies.

Parassite Eve2 is another example. New enemies, and new options to play.

Chrono Cross can be quite good, either.

And all of them japanese makes. westerners dont seem to have it in them.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter for PS2. The game is built around the concept of NG+ and allows you to start over at any point in the game. It's a really good game overall, but was sadly ill-received by the BOF fandom, as it was a rather drastic departure from previous installments.

Amn Nom

Learned
I keep on hearing that Nier has a fantastic new game plus, and is required to see the true ending.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter for PS2. The game is built around the concept of NG+ and allows you to start over at any point in the game. It's a really good game overall, but was sadly ill-received by the BOF fandom, as it was a rather drastic departure from previous installments.

It's much better received these days, due to the announcement of this abomination:

http://bof.wikia.com/wiki/Breath_of_Fire_6

Gozma

Arcane
Pool of Radiance NG+ was Curse of the Azure Bonds, your move japs

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Any of the "new" games that did it right?
Elden Ring/Starfield for example?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I like the general system in Tales Of games, where you can buy bonuses for your new game using points you earn by playing the game well the first time.
Yeah, this seems like one of the best systems imo. Sadly, pretty much all the recent Tales games have been ass that I wouldn't want to finish once, let alone seven times.

Crosscode has a similar sort of NG+ system, and it includes options for both increasing and trivializing the difficulty. There's even some amusing dialogue when you use some of them, accusing the character of cheating.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah, this seems like one of the best systems imo. Sadly, pretty much all the recent Tales games have been ass that I wouldn't want to finish once, let alone seven times.

Crosscode has a similar sort of NG+ system, and it includes options for both increasing and trivializing the difficulty. There's even some amusing dialogue when you use some of them, accusing the character of cheating.
A number of not really roguelike hipster roguelikes have such systems each run contributes to currencies you can use to gain permanent bonuses for future runs. A Legionary's Life and Heads Will Roll Reforged do this for example.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not a J- or CRPG, but Grime (metroidvania with soulslike elements) has an interesting NG+ where on top of the usual stat increase
- there's an exclusive ng+ boss
- all of the previous bosses gain new moves
- a lot of normal enemies also gain new moves

I hate it. I want to access all the content my first time. The last thing I want are advantages that make the game easier if I already know exactly what I'm doing. And if it makes the game harder, how do they know that's not the appropriate setting for me? Why do I have to go through the motions and waste dozens of hours to play the difficulty I want?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom