Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a game to Play for your Pleeeasssssurrre.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I Wanna Be The Guy

Actually, Gothic 2: Night of the Raven.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well if you really want some RPG than you can try:
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd rather Anthony LP'ed something relatively obscure than anything as well-known as JA2.

MotB is a good "mainstream" suggestion though, because of the writing and C&C. Age of Decadence is another good suggestion because no playthrough is the same (tm).

On the other hand, NWN2 OC is just an awful idea - it'd be one of the most boring LPs ever, and probably abandoned before it reaches the middle of Act II.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vindicate Avellone by finishing his save game.
Alternatively, AoD or freedom force.
Pity Legends of Eisenwald might not have enough to LP yet, the independent scenario notwithstanding.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Want to see me play Dragon Wars?
Yes, but any old blobber will do.

Pathologic if you're in a slightly masochistic mood, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't prepared and willing to make the journey. Quoting the devs themselves:
The game “Pathologic” was created to give a new view of the battle between man and evil. The Evil in this game is real. It seems we have succeeded in depicting its true form and insert it into the game mechanics. Such games are dangerous and this is our official preliminary warning.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would suggest Generation XTH, but the final release ain't out yet... maybe the Grimoire Demo, Underrail Beta, Battle for Westnoth, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy ....or Labyrinth of Touhou?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Dark Spire on the DS. :D Alternatively, I vote for Grimoire superdemo - doesn't get much more obscure than this, guys.

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
(I wasn't sure what forum to put this on. If it needs to be moved, I apologize.)

Codexians,

I have a problem... a condition really. Usually when I get a long vacation I have grand ideas of playing a game from my backlog, or a game I see other people playing here that looks fun, or at least interesting. Usually though I just hem and haw, going back and forth, undecided, crazy, and ultimately, without playing a game. I never commit.

Not this year my unruly fellows!

Starting on the evening of December 26th, I will have SEVEN days of freedom (minus wife and baby time)! SEVEN GLORIOUS DAYS! This year will be different! I will enlist the aid of you...yes, YOU!

I want you to recommend me a game, that I will document the playthrough, maybe even making a Let's Play out of it. I will share my thoughts, frustrations, and joys as I play through the game.

That's right, if you woke up this morning asking yourself, I wonder what Anthony Davis thinks of <some game>, and let's be honest, who HASN'T woke up wondering that, now's your chance.

I don't care if it's old or new. Want to see me play Dragon Wars? Sure. Want to see me play Fallout New Vegas? Sure thing. Want to see me play Legacy of the Ancients? You got it.

Here are the rules:

0. It has to be a PC or DosBox game.
1. It has to be a game that I can actually finish and ideally one that can be finished within 40 to 60 hours.
2. It has to be a game that I own of that I can purchase.
3. I am open to RPG, Strategy, Simulation, or Adventure... or any combination.
4. You can pick a game I have already played, as long as it is not Wizardry 4. I'm never playing that game again.
5. I will not use a walkthrough or a FAQ, but if someone posts something during the Play Thread, it's on you.

Whichever game has the most votes, wins. In the case of a tie, the most compelling case will win.

I'm rolling the dice here, either you guys or going to come through or this thread will go down in flames.
gothic 4

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Stream TOEE on Twitch with fellow Codexers. If they were also party members it might be like a P&P session. Kinda. Or you could do it with NWN2* because there is a mod that allows you to use SOZ style party swapping, so you don't have to use vanilla NPCs.

If you were going to do NWN2 then please for the love of your sanity don't commit to the OC. It's xmas, it's precious time off, don't waste it on something so dull. I know it's lure well but as Crooked Bee says it'll never be completed. Although.. the other good thing about SOZ is that it lets you export creatures that you summon. If you level them down to 1 before you export you can then use them in any of the games. Maybe with the mod I mentioned above you could do a theme party like a necromancer with a party of zombies or a warlock with some demon babes. Or be a demon babe. Or a skeleton. That might be an interesting challenge not to mention lulzy. However you gotta be careful as equipping some creatures with certain items (clothes etc) does not end well. And you can't use their special doo-dahs but the AI can so if you switch party members the PC might make your char do something stupid like cast Blade Barrier (planetar) and wipe out your entire party.

Another option is to enable half-celestial as a playable race. It's interesting at the beginning because you are powerful but have really low health due to being 4 levels behind everyone else. Perhaps that could help make the first half more entertaining. Although I'd go for a zombie who romances the creepy elf woman. Actually no, I'd go for an evil MOTB playthrough if you simply must do something NWN2. As an Erinyes. Or a bear. You could team up with Okku and be bear-bros. I dunno, maybe it would be fun to throw it open to the 'dex for weird party ideas.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hmm, I withdraw my NWN2 OC vote. Due to the Christmas spirit, I don't want to inflict on you the pain you inflicted on me.

dunno lah

Arcane
Bring MCA as a guest star for your video LP of Dark Souls, hand him the controller for 10 mins, and let us hear his lamentations. :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You can't escape.

ad.jpg

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can someone tally the votes? I will be without internet soon, keep up the good ideas (even the painful ones).
Well, I did a count of sorts, I just added up the times a certain game was mentioned, not sticking to any other rules apart from not counting more than 1 vote per game per member (looking at you, RK47). By all means, if anyone can make a more fair tally, go ahead.

Here it goes:

Top 5 entries:
9 Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
8 NWN2 OC
7 Age of Decadence Demo
6 Jagged Alliance 2 1.13
6 Dark Souls

Rest of the stuff with 2 or more votes:
4 Arcanum
4 The Temple of Elemental Evil w/ Circle of Eight mod
4 Grimoire Megademo
3 Knights of the Chalice
3 Alpha Centauri
3 Pathologic
3 Blood Bowl
3 System Shock 2
2 Wizardry 8
2 Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
2 Mount & Blade: Warband + Prophesy of Pendor + Companions mods
2 Freedom Force
2 Dragon Age II

Shitload of stuff only mentioned once:
Skyrim
Monster Girl Quest
Fallout 3 NV
Soulbringer
Wizards&Warriors
Dungeon Lords MXXIII
Gothic 1
Gothic 2
Gothic 4
Dark Omen
In Cold Blood
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Underrail Beta
Battle for Westnoth
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
Labyrinth of Touhou?
Alpha Protocol
Supreme Commander
Tunnels and Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan
Darklands
Phantasmagoria 2
Tiberian Sun
Civ 4
I Have No Mouth
Dominions 4
Ride To Hell: Retribution
Paper Sorcerer
Thirst
Amnesia Dark Descent
Nox
Deus Ex HR DC
BG:EE
Warcraft 2
Anachronox
Jade Empire
Shira Oka
Katawa Shoujo
Thief Gold
Divine Divinity
Deus Ex
System Shock 1
Master of Magic
Kohan

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wow i vote for ultima 9

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom