Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

a cut of domestic sheep prime

However if we were to just up and leave, the whole journey here would have been pointless.
This is like the classic gambler's dilemma: People are so worried about all the money they've already "invested" with previous losses on a bet, but don't give enough heed to the future losses that are to come. This is why many people lose all their money by continuing to bet on a losing horse or a bad financial investment. There's a point when you have to cut your losses and ditch. This is it.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too in these let's plays. Our wasting too much time on side quests is what caused us to miss out on talking to Changfeng. There is a reason treave is giving us the opportunity to ditch here and I say we take it.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Well if treave gave us an option to go to the Emei for healing that means that we will probably encounter tough foes here against which we will be no match in our current state.

That would be why I proposed we specifically ask them for Guo Fu as our bodyguard/partner in this investigation.

And if we leave now there is a slight chance Bai Jiutan catches us and sends us to the beyond for the lulz and because he hates us

Last edited:

You're not seeing the bigger picture. We told Cao'er that we'd meet her at a certain time. Being too late may make her wander off in search of us.
You reminded Cao’er of your promise to pick her up at Emei, but it seems that you had no need to do so – she has been counting down the days till your probable arrival.
Additionally, who knows what could happen to her? How could we have predicted that the WiBs would be captured or that Cao'er and our former mast would be sentenced to death earlier in the LP? Each choice we make has consequences and often things change so that we cannot just "do it later". This has been proven countless times already.
edit:
And if we leave now there is a slight chance Bai Jiutan catches us and sends us to the beyond for the lulz and because he hates us
Actually, they'll probably be too busy looking for the manual. I think the real risk is that they'll tell the black dragons where we are as we just told them they had a bounty out on us. If we remain, the dragons may show up and do what BJ and company wouldn't - attack us on the mount or right after we leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, C was the secret harem choice, I suppose?
But hey, having an old man threaten to cut us up instead is fine as well.

Anyway, voting A. With Guo Fu as the brawns in our team our chances just went up. And I really don't want to disappoint the big guy.

Baltika9

Arcane
However if we were to just up and leave, the whole journey here would have been pointless.
This is like the classic gambler's dilemma: People are so worried about all the money they've already "invested" with previous losses on a bet, but don't give enough heed to the future losses that are to come. This is why many people lose all their money by continuing to bet on a losing horse or a bad financial investment. There's a point when you have to cut your losses and ditch. This is it.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too in these let's plays. Our wasting too much time on side quests is what caused us to miss out on talking to Changfeng. There is a reason treave is giving us the opportunity to ditch here and I say we take it.
Exactly, but it's much less binary than what you make it seem like, bro: yes, solving the case will cost us time, but if we leave right now we pretty much forfeit any chances of improving our relations with Wudang (if anything, they'll sour and go into the negatives), pretty much slap Wu Tong across the face and, most importantly, leave both the sword and the manual free for BJ's taking, the Wudang having demonstrated their incompetence. If this spar was anything to go by, BJ is plenty powerful already and if he gets a legendary sword with a special technique, well, we might just find him winning the Fire Cult challenge and being undefeatable for us by the end of the year. Especially now that we don't have a speshul sword of our own (not like there's an unarmed technique that would let us stand toe-to-toe with a legendary sword).

Also, the only reason we have the choice to leave right now is because of how B turned out, not because of plot convenience.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
C was harem choice!? Dammit, lets hope that there are more in the near future.

Now that Hueshan knows that we are here and they can challenge us no problem outside of the Wudang mountain, I don't think it's good idea leave without giving good impressions with Wudang sect. Heck even finding the manual could helps our relationship at least with the Nie wuxing and maybe some other hueshan disciplines, while leaving JB infuriated.

The only concern I have is that we could spen surprisingly good amount of time investigating the theft, but leaving now pretty much pisses wudang sect off and disappoints farmerbro.

I must think about this vote

Ganymede

Learned
Some detective work sounds like an easy way to rack up xp while still in gimpmode. As if Jing would ever turn down a sidequest adventure.

A

Kipeci

Arcane
We absolutely need to back off of any other sidequests after this and head straight for Emei, though, even if they look like delicious ghost busting.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Haha. I'm pleased with B's results. The Huashan leader has to feel mighty stupid standing there chatting with the guy who disgraced his daughter. Good stuff.

A
I'd like to go get healed, but I doubt the clown in white would just let us go at this point. We are really under his skin. Time to play detective and hopefully improve relations with Wudang.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can still make it to Emei with time to spare right now. Once you commit yourself to the investigation, it's a bit more uncertain. Guo Fu's wife is around, yes, she'd have made an early appearance in C to help you out.

Exactly, but it's much less binary than what you make it seem like, bro: yes, solving the case will cost us time, but if we leave right now we pretty much forfeit any chances of improving our relations with Wudang (if anything, they'll sour and go into the negatives), pretty much slap Wu Tong across the face and, most importantly, leave both the sword and the manual free for BJ's taking
Well, then maybe you bros should have listened earlier when I suggested we bug out of here.

Seriously, everything you just mentioned: would it be worse than remaining a gimp all the way through the up coming battle where we were going to fight the sects and fulfill Zhang's challenge?

Plus, you don't know that Bai will get the sword or the manual if we leave. In fact, the thief may escape and Bai may be without both the sword AND the manual when next we see him. Our helping with the investigation could cause him to have access to both rather than deprive him of either as everyone is assuming.

edit:

Huehueshan can go screw themselves, they don't like Xu Jing and they're suspiciously interested in taking us down, so I think they're part of that feared unorthodox takeover of the Orthodox schools.
Bro. Suspiciously? We stripped the daughter of the head of their sect naked in front of a large crowd and then laughed about it in their faces. Repeatedly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't know about maniac techniques being designed to fight crowds, we just haven't had that many opportunities to fight with our power unrestrained by some sort of injury or fear of breaking tournament rules to give us an appreciable sample size. What we have seen is that people with ridiculously strong constitutons (see Guo Fu, Zhang Jue) can shrug off many of our attacks like they're nothing simply because they're incredibly durable/have nice techniques. The people who don't have those traits going for them tend to just evaporate against a full-strength, unrestrained assault, as seen when we murdered the shit out of the bandits completely by accident as well as beating up the one hundred neophyte/weaker fighters. People somewhere within that range would probably provide a better fight.

obiter dictum

Novice
Still haven't gotten over losing the yuchang sword. :(

Seems like a shitty 50/50 gamble in either case with this choice. Either we stay and risk remaining broken during the big fight, or we leave and risk giving BJ a big leg up, with him already being in a strong position.

No way to tell which is better, just pure guessing, but I'm voting B. Even if we help recover the missing stuff, Wudang may end up giving it to BJ anyway, making recovering it a complete waste of time unless we find some way to steal it. We may not even be succesful doing anything, given our broken state. Time to cut our losses, have a broconvo with Guo, and then go to Emei to get our balls cut off for losing the Yuchang sword (and hopefully get patched up after that). Who knows what will happen on the way to Emei or when we get there.

Past five updates have been failure after failure, let's try to get back on track now yo.

Baltika9

Arcane
Plus, you don't know that Bai will get the sword or the manual if we leave. In fact, the thief may escape and Bai may be without both the sword AND the manual when next we see him. Our helping with the investigation could cause him to have access to both rather than deprive him of either as everyone is assuming.
Seems like a shitty 50/50 gamble in either case with this choice. Either we stay and risk remaining broken during the big fight, or we leave and risk giving BJ a big leg up, with him already being in a strong position.

No way to tell which is better, just pure guessing, but I'm voting B. Even if we help recover the missing stuff, Wudang may end up giving it to BJ anyway, making recovering it a complete waste of time unless we find some way to steal it. We may not even be successful doing anything, given our broken state. Time to cut our losses, have a broconvo with Guo, and then go to Emei to get our balls cut off for losing the Yuchang sword (and hopefully get patched up after that).
Perhaps, or perhaps his investigation will actually succeed and allow him to find both items, the only way to be certain is to personally be here to ensure that the items are returned to Wudang's custody. As things stand, relations between the two sects soured pretty badly, B was the path of greatest KAYHOSS!, so if we proceed to drive them apart even further and make the pricks in white look like total assholes, well, Huehueshan may just end up walking out of here looking like the bad guys with nothing to show for it, while we will be the ones making new friends and alliances.
Well, then maybe you bros should have listened earlier when I suggested we bug out of here.
Nah, I don't really feel sorry for anything.
You can still make it to Emei with time to spare right now. Once you commit yourself to the investigation, it's a bit more uncertain. Guo Fu's wife is around, yes, she'd have made an early appearance in C to help you out.
Oh man, that whole family is made up of pure BRO!

Esquilax

Arcane
The Wudang are really bro-tier, I kind of regret that we didn't end up joining them in the first place. The fact that everyone is starting to hate us, orthodox and unorthodox is getting concerning. We really ought to make at least one ally with a sect, and may as well do it with one of the most powerful and chill. Plus Bro Fu is a member.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I regret going unorthodox - we have freedom to move around as we see fit with little to tie us down, the ability to get into places that orthodox types can't, and of course Zhang Jue, who is probably worth it all on his own. But I definitely agree that with the enemies that we're making, we are dangerously close to biting off more than we can chew. Our antics pissed off the Huashan at the tournament, our pirate adventure pissed off nearly everybody, and our most recent escapade pissed off the Black Dragon Society; a long list of enemies and a short list of friends. Master Zhang doesn't really have to give a fuck about who he offends because he's one of the Five Greats, so he can afford not to care. Until Xu Jing reaches that level of skill, he's got to mind himself a bit more.

This is a very good point. In a bad situation, the best remedy is to cut your losses and move on. But I don't think that this is that sort of situation. There's plenty of reasons to stay here other than "well, we're here already, we're invested in the situation, we have to see it through to the end". First, as I mentioned above, we desperately need a friend among at least one sect considering all the enemies we've been racking up. Second, BJ is our biggest rival, and this could be a great chance to fuck him over. Even if we don't steal the manual (which we shouldn't, regardless) using our PER and INT to become familiar with the swordplay might allow us to devise a counter as we did at Songfeng. Yes, Bai Jiutian is far better than Rong Zhiyu, but my point is that we might be able to use the situation to gain an advantage against our biggest obstacle in this challenge.

Oh, and what caused us to miss out on talking to Chanfeng was that we didn't declare our allegiance to Shun to buy time for Jing's escape. That choice had plenty of downsides, but the one silver lining in it is that the poison we were hit with healed us a lot and gave us our neigong back, which should go a long way to shortening our overall recovery time.

Also, its just me or Bai Jiutian has IMMENSE agility? Bai seems very fast, so I would give him a 9 or 10 AG. We barely beat Mr. Ultra Strength and Endurance (Guo Fu) using the full power of our maniac techniques, and they're usually lethal against most fighters, as the Hundred Man Fight proved.

Maniac techniques in general seem suited for quick, messy and all-out attacks against multiple opponents, for killing entire crownds of martial artists gunning for you. Against a single, nearly indestructible target like Guo Fu, they worked but just barely (Because even Jing was barely strong enough to hurt him). Jing managed to beat the faster Yunzi by going all out, through.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that BJ might be as fast as Yunzi. Anyways, the reason that Zhang's techniques didn't work as well against Guo Fu was both his high END and his defensive neigong. It also didn't help that we broke through the barrier through sheer brute force instead of a qi disruption technique like Master Yao's Healing Finger because we didn't have any options other than brute force in that situation. :lol:

A for now.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that BJ might be as fast as Yunzi. Anyways, the reason that Zhang's techniques didn't work as well against Guo Fu was both his high END and his defensive neigong. It also didn't help that we broke through the barrier through sheer brute force instead of a qi disruption technique like Master Yao's Healing Finger because we didn't have any options other than brute force in that situation. :lol:
It seems that BJ is a high AGI+ decent END (I'd say a 9/7) with a geat of CHA, good INT and average PER (somewhere around 8/7/5):
At the end of the match, not a single strand of hair is out of place on his head; not one drop of sweat can be seen on his brow. This bastard is good.
No idea about luck, though I guess we're about to find out. :lol:

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't think that BJ's raw stats factor into his fantastic fighting (though I'll definitely grant the speed) as much as him having highly-ranked combat skills. Jing is relatively new to being a pugilist's apprentice and hasn't had as much time to refine his techniques and styles, so we more often rely on his sheer strength and speed rather than having a better style.

If we go by what the ranking sheet says, after all, it is at rank 7 in a skill where one's skill is generally something that would leave others in awe. As Jing's highest ranked skill is his unarmed fighting at a 6, we see that while he's some notches above being mediocre in style for that, he's not at the point where his technique is what's impressing folks (aside from I guess how it's definitely more cruel than is the standard).

RealDDc

Learned
No toad power investigation, just a lame sword we can't even keep if we find (maybe better we'd lose it anyways at the next best opportunity) and a even more lame manual.
B

Jing got's his fist and some epic lungs.

“If that is so, why are you putting responsibility on Master Daoshi and the Wudang Sect for the missing manual? That is hypocritical and inconsistent behaviour. Should that responsibility not be placed on the person who actually took it, rather than those who were to guard it; just like the responsibility of taking that sash which you have laid upon me, and not on your daughter who was to keep it secure?” you say quickly in a single breath.
Try that without taking a awkwardly deep breath.

Tigranes

Arcane
Now that we are here instead of getting healed by the Emei for some mysterious reasons that I still cannot fathom, the question becomes what are the advantages to be had from the situation. And as Esquilax has already pointed out, there are quite a few things to get out of it. Wudang have consistently been friendly toward us at all levels of the hierarchy, and is our best bet to have one orthodox sect to turn to during the next few years. Need someone to vouch for us so we aren't immediately pegged for any misunderstanding or mischief? Need some information? Need some kind of orthodox knowledge or temporary ally? Need to ensure that at least some part of the world doesn't think you're absolutely insane, preventing you from quickly becoming mythologized as Worse than Zhang Jue? It makes sense for us to try and get on their good side as long as it's not too dangerous or costly.

And from where we stand, well, who knows how this will go, but it doesn't seem the worst sidequest in the world compared to walking into the Black Dragon Society. This has nothing to do with sticking it out because we're here, or U-turning from our commitment to unorthodoxy. I thought the whole point was so Jing can be flexible, not so he can dogmatically troll every orthodox thing and person ever.

Sticking with A.

Yes, yes it is.

When we first started out, there were those that were worried that Jing might end up becoming Ean 2, but Ean was a man of few words. Jing is actually more trollish than even Dio was, though while still being a relatively nice guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom